Question PC posts with GTX 1050 but not with GTX 1060

wtfthejoker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
Hi!

My last post that my new mobo doesnt give display even after RMA, is still not resolved. It looks complex than just the RMA was not done properly. As my new system [i3-10105f, gtx 1060] was not showing any display despite RMA so i bought a new mobo yesterday [B560M, previous was B510M]. To my surprise, the new mobo also has the exact same problem i.e. no debug LEDs are on but no display. i borrowed my friends gtx 1050 and then it booted.

Could it be because gtx 1050 uses less power than gtx 1060 as 1050 doesnt have dedicated power cable like my 1060? my card is working very well with my old system [i3-7100].
It that so because i3-7100 draws less power than i3-10105f?

wtfthejoker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017

Ant Esports VS500L 500 Watt Non-Modular​

i also suspect issue with the power supply.
after posting this, ive tested my gtx 1060 in friends pc, i5-6500. card boots normally and also able to install the drivers.

Does this confirm the issue with my psu? i dont want to buy a new one and still face the same issue.

thanks

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Ant Esports VS500L 500 Watt Non-Modular​

i also suspect issue with the power supply.
after posting this, ive tested my gtx 1060 in friends pc, i5-6500. card boots normally and also able to install the drivers.

Does this confirm the issue with my psu? i dont want to buy a new one and still face the same issue.

thanks
No, this doesn't confirm the issue because while that is a value PSU, it doesn't appear to be absolute garbage. Besides, the GTX 1060 only has a TDP of 120W with a recommended PSU rating of only 300W. That's only 60% of 500W and even the cheapest generic PSUs currently on the market (which would be far worse than what you have) can do that.

From what I can see here, you have a single 12V rail rated at 38A:
VS-500L-PSU-2.png

This is FAR more than enough for your system so I think that @geofelt is probably right and you need a UEFI.

Reactions: wtfthejoker

wtfthejoker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
Im very thankful you guys pointed that psu isnt problmatic as i was about to buy some 550w.
No, this doesn't confirm the issue because while that is a value PSU, it doesn't appear to be absolute garbage. Besides, the GTX 1060 only has a TDP of 120W with a recommended PSU rating of only 300W. That's only 60% of 500W and even the cheapest generic PSUs currently on the market (which would be far worse than what you have) can do that.

From what I can see here, you have a single 12V rail rated at 38A:
VS-500L-PSU-2.png

This is FAR more than enough for your system so I think that @geofelt is probably right and you need a UEFI.

im very thankful for you guys to reply as i was about to purchase a new 550w psu. as you asked to enable/update UEFI. how exactly can i do it?
i mean do i need to do it for the file system (os) or for the GPU?

There's nothing wrong with your BIOS and I'm not sure why anyone would think that has anything to do with it. You can run the RTX 30 series on X58 which predates UEFI BIOS and legacy mode options.

Chances are that it does have something to do with your power supply and/or the GPU power connector on it. Usually I'd suggest checking all power connections on the motherboard as well, but the 1050 wouldn't have booted if they weren't hooked up properly (it pulls power from the PCIe slot).

Edit: just to clarify there's no reason that power supply shouldn't work for your setup, but it may be faulty

Last edited:
Im very thankful you guys pointed that psu isnt problmatic as i was about to buy some 550w.

im very thankful for you guys to reply as i was about to purchase a new 550w psu. as you asked to enable/update UEFI. how exactly can i do it?
i mean do i need to do it for the file system (os) or for the GPU?
Look at the bios display. If it looks monochrome and text like it is a legacy bios.
If it is uefi, it will be formatted, much like a web page.
Where graphics settings are, I don't know. It will vary. There may be an option for CSM . That is a compatibility mode.

Look at the bios display. If it looks monochrome and text like it is a legacy bios.
Yep, that's how to tell them apart alright!

You know what's odd though? I built an HTPC for my mother using my old FX-8350 and 990FX motherboard, a motherboard with an old-style BIOS. That's not weird in itself but the fact that I dropped in an RX 6500 XT without issue is weird because it's a current card, far newer than a GTX 1000-series.

Maybe this is just a GeForce thing? I dunno... :alien:

Yep, that's how to tell them apart alright!

You know what's odd though? I built an HTPC for my mother using my old FX-8350 and 990FX motherboard, a motherboard with an old-style BIOS. That's not weird in itself but the fact that I dropped in an RX 6500 XT without issue is weird because it's a current card, far newer than a GTX 1000-series.

Maybe this is just a GeForce thing? I dunno... :alien:
It isn't a thing period.

wtfthejoker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
Where graphics settings are, I don't know. It will vary. There may be an option for CSM . That is a compatibility mode.
bios is well designed graphical instead of old blue screen. gpu is updated to latest drivers

wtfthejoker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
There's nothing wrong with your BIOS and I'm not sure why anyone would think that has anything to do with it. You can run the RTX 30 series on X58 which predates UEFI BIOS and legacy mode options.

Chances are that it does have something to do with your power supply and/or the GPU power connector on it. Usually I'd suggest checking all power connections on the motherboard as well, but the 1050 wouldn't have booted if they weren't hooked up properly (it pulls power from the PCIe slot).

Edit: just to clarify there's no reason that power supply shouldn't work for your setup, but it may be faulty
that sums up all of my confusion, If psu is faulty IT SHOULD NOT RUN MY CURRENT SYSTEM TOO WITH SAME GPU (i3-7100, 2x8 2400, 1ssd-1hdd) but it also could be that current cpu is 55w while i3-10105f is 65w (i believe?)

Ill trying borrowing someone elses psu tomorrow, lets see if that helps

Reactions: thestryker
that sums up all of my confusion, If psu is faulty IT SHOULD NOT RUN MY CURRENT SYSTEM TOO WITH SAME GPU (i3-7100, 2x8 2400, 1ssd-1hdd) but it also could be that current cpu is 55w while i3-10105f is 65w (i believe?)

Ill trying borrowing someone elses psu tomorrow, lets see if that helps
Just because it's working in your current system sadly doesn't mean much of anything for the new one. The 10105F only uses 65W at base clocks/light workloads when it's boosting on multithreaded it will be 100-140W.

I didn't want to assume you'd have access to another power supply, but testing that is definitely your best option

It isn't a thing period.
I didn't think it was because I had never encountered it myself but it's not the first time that I'd seen someone alluding to that and since I don't know everything (or even try to pretend to), I wasn't going to just dismiss it. If it were true, it wouldn't have been the craziest thing that I've come across during my decades as a PC enthusiast. ;)

Reactions: thestryker

wtfthejoker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
[update] so as per the multiple suggestions, i bought new power supply, https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08D6H5W2F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

while its not the most trusted brand, it is indeed 80 plus bronze which means good?
anyways, so the problem is still the same with NEW PSU

so far ive replaced
Motherboard, PSU, Processor and still the same issue that no display.

No Debug LEDs are on. GPU works perfectly well in current system and well as in friends PC.

This issue is getting cursed now.

No 80+ ratings don't mean anything regarding PSU quality.

What's the exact model of the motherboard?
Do fans turn on when you're trying to boot?
Do you have the 8 pin EPS power cable connected to the motherboard?

wtfthejoker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
No 80+ ratings don't mean anything regarding PSU quality.

What's the exact model of the motherboard?
Do fans turn on when you're trying to boot?
Do you have the 8 pin EPS power cable connected to the motherboard?
MOBO = msi h510m pro e & msi h560m
Fans spins on cpu and gpu fan
yes, eps pin is connect to processor power socket thing

At this point it almost sounds like you're just not getting video output for some reason. I read through the motherboard manual just to see if there was anything missing, but it looks like both boards have the exact same debug LED system so the boards aren't detecting a fault. Everything powering up like normal seems to reinforce that.

I can't think of any reason why platform would make any difference on video output, but have you tried any of the other ports on the video card to see if you have output? Also is it just connected to one screen?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Has your friend tried to help you with this?

If he lives close can he or you bring entire pc + monitor over to one another's place? Watch how he does things, what cables go where, monitor etc. Even if it sounds trivial, it could be something very simple you've missed.

Record video of 1060 working in friend's pc. 1050 working on yours and that of 1060 not working. Include in video of hardware and cables inside case as well as connection from back of the computer to the monitor. Do the same with your system. Before posting video write a description listing full system specs of both systems. Include details of case, monitor and video cables used. Also any additional video footage of inside case could help unintentionally indentify something else so go slow with camera and assume we're all there in person. If you can't do this with friends pc, can still try this way of helping with your computer.

wtfthejoker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
Has your friend tried to help you with this?

If he lives close can he or you bring entire pc + monitor over to one another's place? Watch how he does things, what cables go where, monitor etc. Even if it sounds trivial, it could be something very simple you've missed.

Record video of 1060 working in friend's pc. 1050 working on yours and that of 1060 not working. Include in video of hardware and cables inside case as well as connection from back of the computer to the monitor. Do the same with your system. Before posting video write a description listing full system specs of both systems. Include details of case, monitor and video cables used. Also any additional video footage of inside case could help unintentionally indentify something else so go slow with camera and assume we're all there in person. If you can't do this with friends pc, can still try this way of helping with your computer.
i have recorded video of my 1060 working in friends pc and but not working in my pc.
this is not some juvenile post i made out of freak out since my new system isnt working.

Ive made sure every single cable is in its place like 10 times. but just for formality sake ill post videos in some time, with my 1060 working in my current system (i3-7100) and my friends (i5-6500), his 1050 working in mine.

only likely thing im thinking of maybe some bios thing? driver? ive unistalled my i3-7100 iGpu drivers just so it wont interfere with 1060 with new system (i3-10105f).