Question PC Power Button Light Turns on, but nothing else turns on

funboyfun23

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
Hello,

A few days ago I accidentally spilled water on top of my PC, almost instantly my computer turned off and wouldn't turn back on. When I opened the case the water had mostly got on top of the GPU, however some droplets got onto the motherboard. AfterI let everything dry off, I turned on my PC and the Power Light turned on but literally nothing else did. My friend recommended swapping in a new PSU, which I did (and tested beforehand to make sure it worked), and the same issue arises; the power light turns on but nothing else. I'm guessing the motherboard might be fried? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, is there anyway to individually test each part to make sure the component still works (like the GPU)

Thanks

Last edited:

funboyfun23

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
Good chance you GPU or motherboard are fried. If you have an integrated GPU you can remove the GPU and test if it posts using integrated graphics. You could also test the GPU in someone else's working system.

Specs could be a little helpful

I have an intel i5-6400, a gigabyte h170m-ds3h mobo, 2x8gb kingston ram, an rx 480, an ssd, a hybrid hard drive, and 500w psu. I took the GPU out, and nothing changed as a result. The power button light turns on, but nothing else.

I compiled all of my parts on PC Part Picker if you'd like to take a look https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/M2Xcnn the only thing that's changed is the PSU.

As a test I took out the CPU 4+4 pins and turned it on, and the CPU fan and PSU fan turns on, but then the computer just turns off and on again continuously. I don't really know what to make of it. Also I took the GPU out.

Thanks for your reply

Last edited: