Question Pc powering on for a second, then turning off. Could it be the CPU?

Jan 2, 2024
Hi there, little ghost story for a rainy night, 👻

I have encountered a problem with my pc and after hours of troubleshooting myself, have not been able to reach a solution... So a forum question it is! Here is the problem statement:
- Turning on my pc spins on both the PSU and the CPU fan for a split second, then both shut off and the pc doesn't return to life.
- I have stripped the whole thing to the bare minimum (like Von Neumann intended) so there is only a CPU and one RAM stick all held together by a motherboard and connected to the PSU
- Now for the fun part: I have replaced both motherboard and PSU, but both changes did not resolve the problem. The behavior stays the same. I have also found a old motherboard and old CPU, and tested the components with that. This setup works. Unfortunately my current CPU and the old one do not share the same socket, so I cannot interchange them easily. But again I have already bought a new motherboard, but to no avail... While working on the problem, while laying in bed one night, I suddenly heard my PSU fan spin up out of nowhere (Poltergeist maybe?) and it kept spinning. I immediatly got up to disconnect it, because i didn't have a CPU fan and I didn't want the thing to overheat. But after checking the CPU it was completly cold.

This really leaves me questioning whether the CPU could be the source of the problem. Is that even possible o_O? And if yes how could this have happened? There is no cooling paste that spilled, no trauma to any of the pins, no nothing, it just doesn't work.

At this point I think I will just replace stuff till it works, but my wallet as a student is kind of empty and I would really love to know the source of this paranormal computer problem.

Best regards, and a lovely new year,

CCI

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Jan 2, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.
I am mostly looking for an answer to the question "could it be the CPU, or is that almost impossible", so the hardware specs don't really matter... The only important component for this issue is the CPU, which is an Intel i5, but I don't know the exact model as it is covered by cooling paste...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am mostly looking for an answer to the question "could it be the CPU, or is that almost impossible", so the hardware specs don't really matter... The only important component for this issue is the CPU, which is an Intel i5, but I don't know the exact model as it is covered by cooling paste...
Details matter. Knowing the specifics of what we are working with allows members to make more educated inputs to answering your questions/resolving the issues.

This could be a CPU issue, or a power issue, or a motherboard issue, etc., that caused the original problem before you started swapping stuff.

So with all of the swapping, I assume the case/chassis has remained the same. Is the power button working properly, or is it sticking?

iLiamW

Commendable
Jul 24, 2021
On your Motherboard do you have little LEDs that light up when trying to boot?

Should be top right of board (well mine is) and be called:
CPU
DRAM
VGA
BOOT

When you try to turn on you system check for these lights, they normally go in sequence but if there is an issue it will stay lit on the one that's causing the issue