PC Problems (CPU or GPU)

WildBohr_0

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
Hello, I've been experiencing random crashes and restarts. Some have been BSODs, but others are just restarts. Another problem is that not all my applications load and when they do it takes awhile. I think I might have OC'ed my CPU too much when I first got it and I think thats the problem, but I am not positive if its my GPU or CPU.
GPU: GTX 970 SC
CPU: i5 4690k

Thanks

Solution

+1

some other things to try would be run memtest and see if you have any bad sticks of ram. If anything is overclocked drop it down to stock settings. I would then try running intel burn test while monitoring temps. Set memory usage to maximuim when doing this and set it for at least 10 times. If your system doesn't crash its likely something else and reinstalling windows would be my next step. Also give you bios settings a look and make sure nothing is out of the ordinary. Turn things off like...

Mrcrazed

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

are both your cpu and gpu overclocked?

Justkeeplookin

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
#1: Do you get BSOD before you load into Windows

#2: How are your temperatures, if they are very high most likely thermal throttling

#3 : How far did you overclock your CPU, you might have damaged it. That's what i'm predicting

WildBohr_0

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

Only CPU is

Joe Gallo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2015
Sounds more cpu tbh, but no way to to tell in my knowledge whats the real problem. From those symptoms. perhaps reappling thermal paste to the cpu, or Lowering the clock speed of the cpu will help. Are you oberclocking the gpu?

WildBohr_0

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

No, I don not get BSOD before I load into windows, and I tried to oc my cpu to get 4.3 - 4.5 ghz. My GPU temps on idle is around 10c and my CPU temps on idle is 40-50c

WildBohr_0

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

No, GPU is stock

Mrcrazed

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Okay, try pulling back on the overclock just a little and then try. and what is your psu?

WildBohr_0

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

Ok, and my PSU is 750 watt

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

+1

some other things to try would be run memtest and see if you have any bad sticks of ram. If anything is overclocked drop it down to stock settings. I would then try running intel burn test while monitoring temps. Set memory usage to maximuim when doing this and set it for at least 10 times. If your system doesn't crash its likely something else and reinstalling windows would be my next step. Also give you bios settings a look and make sure nothing is out of the ordinary. Turn things off like virtualiztion and other CPU based hardware processes your not using or need. and repeat the intel burn in test.

Solution

Mrcrazed

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Yeah, I maxed out my 750 watt while overclocking and had to upgrade, so keep that in mind.