Question PC randomly black screens ?

NeonPlayer

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
When i use my PC after a random amount of time the monitor turns off and says "no signal". When i restart the pc it works again.

I tried both hdmi and displayport same results so probably not a damaged cable or port, and i think its not a graphics card issue because i had that same issue with a different card as well.

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Please list your full system specifications including make and model of:
Motherboard:
CPU:
RAM:
Graphics Card:
Power Supply:
Storage:

What exact model PSU do you have and how old is it?

What exactly do you mean by:
When i use my PC after a random amount of time
You mean you turn it on and then it sits idle for a while and you go to it to use it this happens or you mean when it's off for a few hours/days for example and you turn it on to use?

Have you checked Event Viewer to see if there are any erros or waring of things that happen when the screen goes off?

NeonPlayer

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
Please list your full system specifications including make and model of:
Motherboard:
CPU:
RAM:
Graphics Card:
Power Supply:
Storage:

What exact model PSU do you have and how old is it?

What exactly do you mean by:

You mean you turn it on and then it sits idle for a while and you go to it to use it this happens or you mean when it's off for a few hours/days for example and you turn it on to use?

Have you checked Event Viewer to see if there are any erros or waring of things that happen when the screen goes off?
Specs:

Mobo - Asrock ab350m pro4

Cpu - AMD Ryzen 5 1600x

Ram - Corsair vengeance 16 gb 3000 mhz

Gpu - GTX 1060 3gb

Power supply - XILENCE 500W xp500R7

Boot - Silicone power 128gb ssd

Storage - 1tb seagate barracuda

OS - Windows 10 pro

When i turn on my pc i game do stuff etc. And after some time usually after 1-3 hours the screen will go black.

Event viewer shows kernel power 41 critical error

NeonPlayer

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
Specs:

Cpu - AMD Ryzen 5 1600x

Gpu - GTX 1060 3gb

OS - Windows 10 pro

When i turn on my pc i game do stuff etc. And after some time usually after 1-3 hours the screen will go black.

Nvm the kernel power 41 was because i force shutdown when screen goes black

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Specs:

Cpu - AMD Ryzen 5 1600x

Gpu - GTX 1060 3gb

OS - Windows 10 pro

Well that PSU is not a very good quality one I think. Is this your PSU here?
It doesn't have OCP (Over Current Protection) and OTP (Over Temperature Protection) and has passive PFC (Power Factor Correction) so it's not very efficient either.

Since you mentioned that it happens after a while (after gaming and such) it might be due to PSU getting warm and starting to go out of whack.

On the same note, have you moitored your temperatures, CPU and GPU? At idle and while under load, such as gaming? You can do that with HWiNFO from here. The portable version doesn't need installation.

That is because the system is not properly shut down and loses power. That happens if you force shutdown or reboot the system when it's on and in Windows.

NeonPlayer

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
It doesn't have OCP (Over Current Protection) and OTP (Over Temperature Protection) and has passive PFC (Power Factor Correction) so it's not very efficient either.

Since you mentioned that it happens after a while (after gaming and such) it might be due to PSU getting warm and starting to go out of whack.

On the same note, have you moitored your temperatures, CPU and GPU? At idle and while under load, such as gaming? You can do that with HWiNFO from here. The portable version doesn't need installation.

That is because the system is not properly shut down and loses power. That happens if you force shutdown or reboot the system when it's on and in Windows.
Gpu, cpu temps are fine. And also its not just when im gaming, it can happen not under load too.

NeonPlayer

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021

I forgot to mention that the pc sometimes only runs for a couple minutes and black screens.
And i dont think its overheating.

TRENDING THREADS