Question PC randomly reboots with white VGA light on MOBO.

Dec 13, 2023
I need help on troubleshooting the exact cause of my random reboots.

My specs:

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU - Gigabyte 6800xt
MOBO - Asus TUF B550-PLUS WIFI
Memory - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8)
PSU - Corsair RM series RM750

Recently my pc randomly reboots on it's own. It seems to change depending on what game I'm playing. I left Baldur's Gate 3 on for 2 days and my PC never rebooted. Yet last night, my pc rebooted every 30 mins while playing MW3.

When it reboots, it shuts down and fails to post with the VGA light turning white. Once I hard restart, it boots like normal without any problems. This is a new problem. The only recent change I have made was changing my CPU cooler to a new AIO after my old cooler failed and caused my computer to shut down on high CPU temps. I have also removed and reset my GPU and re-plugged the PSU cables since this problem started occurring.

While gaming, my GPU's temps were at 65 deg C while at 99% utilization and my CPU is at 60 deg C. I'm not running anything very hard and no tuning on the CPU/GPU. Event logger shows a Kernal Power error which doesn't help.

I think I have it down to a failing PSU or a faulty GPU. However, I would like some advice on how I can isolate which part I should be looking at.

Thanks all.

EDIT: I have also updated the Bios to the newest version.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023
Does this happen only when you are gaming? Have you recently downloaded/installed a new driver for your 6800xt?
This seems to mainly happen while gaming. I can t remember an instance of it rebooting while idle or performing normal work. I also updated drivers AFTER it started.

Some other information. I have a spare 1080 GPU that I installed. I played MW3 for about 30 mins using it. I then performed a FurMark stress test and a OCCT power stress test. Passed both.

I then put my 6800xt back in and did the same. Passed both stress test which is curious since it runs your CPU and GPU at 100% utilization for an hour. I then played MW3 for about 3 hours before the random reboot this time. I will add that it has rebooted while playing other games like Baldur's Gate 3 but the frequency is much less.