Question PC Randomly reboots

May 4, 2020
Hi there. Bit of a PC novice so bare with me. My PC will randomly reboot itself when playing or starting up games. Even done it once on google chrome. I’ve just got a new CPU heatsink and the temperatures are all normal, the voltages seem normal and I done a test to see if any of the hardware was failing and it said no problems detected.

Here is the specs

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bRLp1ZHfsMPv4m7fzih3dra

May 4, 2020
The PSU is pretty rubbish. A corsair VS450w. I’ve just done the OCCT stress test. My CPU crashed after about 4 and a half minutes. The GPU crashes the system immediately. I don’t get it I was playing games fine a few weeks ago.

Stress 😭

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Seems 80+ rated and like it would be enough wattage for a 2 gb gpu and an old processor, could it be the gpu that is going bad? try removing it and just running some cpu stress tests and see what happens

I bought a faulty power supply from a cheap manufacturer, my mistake but i did notice audible popping and crackling sounds under load that would then shut the system off in much the same way, so maybe have a listen and see if you hear anything unusual when you stress the system

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
If the gpu is removed the output will default to the onboard graphics for the motherboard, so you will need to plug your monitor cable into the rear IO on the motherboard, If it is a fairly modern motherboard it should have all the basic connections needed

You can also change the settings in the BIOS if you don't want to physically remove the card but it's more complicated than it's worth

In my case i took my 4gb rx 570 out and put my old 2gb amd 6670 back in and the problem stopped occuring, in my case the power supply was not providing a stable enough current and the pc shuts down to prevent damage from over/undervolting, it's a safety measure, if your psu is old enough it could be failing when it has to draw more power under load

Last edited:
May 4, 2020
I’m afraid it’s not a modern motherboard and there is no where on it to plug the monitor in. I done the CPU again at it only lasted 58 seconds this time. GPU crashing straight away. Time for a new PC? 😂

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Quite possibly afraid to say, if you have the time and the means i would say two last ditch efforts might be to try a friends power supply in the machine, and to try reseating everything except the cpu and cooler, take it apart and put it back together, on rare occasions it can resolve the issue, as a faulty power connector not pushed in all the way or something not quite making perfect contact with the socket can cause issues but they would of presented themselves much earlier, making me think it is a dying part/s

May 4, 2020
Just tried disabling the HPET timer (no idea) and I ran the CPU at 100% for 5 minutes on a stress test and it didn’t crash. Maybe there is hope!

Might also see if I can get a hold of a friends GPU and see if I get any more luck.

Just annoying because a few weeks ago it was fine and I was playing games all day

May 4, 2020
I’ve tried it a few times and the furthest I got was 1 second...

Interesting the CPU held out there and probably could’ve kept going. Not sure what my next steps are. Seen suggested since my graphics card is like 7 years old and I have installed the latest drivers they could actually be too new for the card if you know what I mean.

Also someone else has told me my PSU is too weak and my card needs at least 500w.

I just wanna play and stream without problems 😭