Question PC randomly restart at one place only

Jul 7, 2023
Hey everyone,

My PC has been restarting randomly over the past few months and I can't seem to find a solution to fix it. No BSOD, just turns off and turns on again. It always restarts every time I open intensive stuff like Photoshop and sometimes randomly restarts during normal use. I've tried replacing the graphic card and the cables, I've tried not plugging it in an extension plug and even reinstalled everything, but nothing seems to do it.

The weirdest thing is that it seems to only happen when I use it at home. When I bring it to a friend's house and use it, it's perfectly fine for hours of use. Could it be my house's power line (220V) that's bothering my PSU?

Here are my specs:
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE H81M-DS2
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-4440
  • Memory: 16364MB RAM
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
  • Drives: ST1000DM003-1CH162 & KINGSTON SA400S37480G
  • PSU: Acbel HK+450 HB9008-YK2GT (could it be faulty/bad PSU?)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Did you take your monitor, keyboard and mouse round to your friend's house with your computer?

What is the power rating of your AcBel PSU. I'm having difficulty finding it on line.

It has the appearance of a low cost unit and may not be stable enough to power your computer.

What is the manufacturer's part number for your RAM. Is it being overclocked?

Jul 7, 2023
Yes, power would seem to be the potential culprit, as you have described the situation.

Have you tried multiple outlets at your home? When at your friend's place, are you there long enough to determine that the system is completely stable?
I've tried plugging it into different outlets in different rooms, but the problem still happens.

At my friend's place, I was able to use some of the restart-causing programs for hours without any problems (for example: At my friend's, I can use Photoshop and its GPU-intensive tools, whereas it would instantly cause a PC restart whenever I tried to open a file at my home).

Jul 7, 2023
For the power supply, I was able to find its supposed specs, please excuse the low-quality image:

zOXh9az.jpeg

It does look very low quality and I've had it for close to 3 years now so it might be failing. Though I still don't get why it worked fine at my friend's place. Is my home's power triggering its safety features or is it just because of the PSU itself?

Jun 16, 2023
For the power supply, I was able to find its supposed specs, please excuse the low-quality image:

zOXh9az.jpeg

It does look very low quality and I've had it for close to 3 years now so it might be failing. Though I still don't get why it worked fine at my friend's place. Is my home's power triggering its safety features or is it just because of the PSU itself?
You'll never really know until you take the first step of replacing your PSU. I'd suggest you start there.

Jul 7, 2023
I’ve replaced the power supply to a Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 80 Plus Bronze, tested it at the shop (Photoshop works smoothly and I think they ran some sort of OCCT test too)

Unfortunately, problem still happens at home and now I can even hear the supply clicking before restarting. Is it safe to rule out the PSU?

Jun 16, 2023
If the problem occurs only when you're home then I'd suspect that you may have some faulty wiring. Try connecting your PC to an outlet in another room and see if the problem still exists. If not then you should have your local electrician check your wiring.