[SOLVED] PC Randomly Restarting

phi88

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
Hello,

Recently I have been running into an issue where my PC will restart/return to POST randomly; a few months ago the restarts were occasional, but they have gotten more and more frequent and now the PC will restart almost every 5 minutes after booting into Windows. Earlier I have suspected that it was a power supply issue and more recently I suspected that it was a motherboard issue, however after replacing both components the issue has not been fixed. I tried to reinstall Windows, however when trying to use the installation disc the PC would still restart. I also tried to boot into Linux out of curiosity and the PC was still continuing to restart. I was able to run Memtest86 on the PC and it was able to complete 4 passes without any errors. In the case of Windows, there are never any blue screens or errors that pop up before the PC restarts. On Linux a few MCE hardware errors popped up before the PC would restart. Any ideas as to what could be causing the issue? Thanks in advance.

System specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 3 1300
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB DDR4-2400 CL16
  • Storage:
    • 1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200RPM HDD
    • PNY CS900 120GB 2.5" SSD
  • Graphics card: MSI GTX 1050ti Gaming X
  • PSU: EVGA BQ 500W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular PSU

Solution
The PSU is about 2 months old; I bought it to replace my 3 year old Thermaltake Smart PSU as I suspected that was causing the issue, however the PC still restarts with either unit installed. Is there a way to test the PSU or should I buy another one?

Hmmm, wouldn't recommend buying a new one, if the most recent one is only 2 months old. THat kinda rules out the PSU, and perhaps narrows it down to CPU/Mobo.

In terms of the ram, is it running an XMP profile or manual settings (timings, voltage etc). Try both and see if that makes any difference.

phi88

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
Hi there,

Random re0starts like that typically point to an issue with the PSU. The EVGA BQ you have, how old is it? It will be worth swapping it out to confirm, but I suspect it's your PSU.
The PSU is about 2 months old; I bought it to replace my 3 year old Thermaltake Smart PSU as I suspected that was causing the issue, however the PC still restarts with either unit installed. Is there a way to test the PSU or should I buy another one?

Try to re-flash the bios of motherboard if you havent done.
There isnt much load on PSU to make it trip OCP (overcurrent protection) or other protections so, Try looking into event viewer
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/78335-read-shutdown-logs-event-viewer-windows.html

If event doesnt give anything interesting (if you do have something , screenshot and link the picture here) download hwinfo and look up to voltages (before hand start it , run in sensors-only ,tick the box).
image.png

image.png

image.png

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

phi88

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
tBJERvv.jpeg

vgGKTxR.jpeg

0fUphJr.jpg

EIBbqQn.jpg

This is what I got from Event Viewer; I am not sure how useful this information is. Unfortunately I was not able to run hwinfo on safe mode (PC doesn't seem to restart in safe mode) nor was I able to run it in time outside of safe mode as it would restart before or right as I ran it. I will be re-flashing the BIOS next.

EDIT:
I was able to obtain data from hwinfo after further attempts and I found events with code 1074 on event viewer.

uVGIanw.jpg

Last edited:

phi88

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
I have updated the BIOS, however that did not seem to fix the issue; the PC is still rebooting (interestingly enough I now can barely get to the lock screen on Windows). Out of curiosity I swapped out my graphics card to see if that was somehow causing the issue but doing so did not seem to fix the issue. Would it be within reason to suspect that the CPU is failing or are there other steps that I should take before replacing the CPU?

Hmmm, wouldn't recommend buying a new one, if the most recent one is only 2 months old. THat kinda rules out the PSU, and perhaps narrows it down to CPU/Mobo.

In terms of the ram, is it running an XMP profile or manual settings (timings, voltage etc). Try both and see if that makes any difference.

Solution
Download hard disk sentinel and see what does show up
image.png

Another thing, could you type out your ram Number?
Like this one
CMK16GX4M2Z2400C16
It should be located at memory sticker (on ram) or box.
Cause it might not be compatible.

Windows reinstalation would be as last option.

phi88

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017

The PC typically does not run an XMP profile nor does it have any settings manually adjusted. Enabling the XMP profile did not change the behavior of the PC. The motherboard was replaced from an MSI B350M Gaming Pro to the Gigabyte B450M-DS3H just two days ago and doing so did not fix the issue, so I'm really suspecting that it's the CPU.

Download hard disk sentinel and see what does show up
image.png

Another thing, could you type out your ram Number?
Like this one
CMK16GX4M2Z2400C16
It should be located at memory sticker (on ram) or box.
Cause it might not be compatible.

Windows reinstalation would be as last option.

Here's what I found from hard disk sentinel:

sMwwG0l.jpg

VT9pbMu.jpg

My RAM number is CMK16GX4M2A2400C16R