Question PC Randomly shuts down

Jan 16, 2023
Hey guys and gals,

I have an issue on which i am genuinly scratching my head.

So i have the following specced PC:

I9 9900 (non K)
MSI Z370i Gaming Carbon ac
Trident Z RGB 3200 Mhz 2x8GB ddr4
RTX 3080 (EVGA)
Recently bought an EVGA 850 B5 Modular power supply (Bronze) as ina few months ago
Decent air cooler on the cpu
Intel p650 nvme ssd

All of a sudden the PC just randomly decides to completely shut down as if there s a power shortage and restart instantly.
What makes the situation interesting is that the ONLY TIME it will not shut down is when theres a heavy workload (a game running). Yes tested it out. Normal usage without gaming a shutdown would occur within 30 mins. With a game running? 5-6 hours and still no crash.
One time it just wouldnt even turn on so i gave it the Eastern European treatment and gave it a good slap and suddenly it decided that it wants to turn on again.

But if i just browse the web, watch youtube, watch a movie, copy files, update windows it randomly shuts down. According to event viewer its kernel 41 (61) critical error. Couldnt even test hardwares out because half ways in any component test the system would decide it needed its hourly smack in the head and turns off.

What i have tried:
Updated windows, checked if whether an update was causing issue. Nope. Randomly started.
Updated drivers
Checked cables for contact issues. Nothing.
Reinstalled Windows (it was a hassle as the system would shut down randomly in every install attempt)
Swapped out the SSD for a Gygabyte nvme ssd. Same issue
Noticed when i was messing with the RAM sticks that if i swapped them it would get worse. 1 RAM stick wouldnt even run and the other would give random shutdowns. So naturally i was like haha got you! Bought a brand new Kingston Fury 3600 MHZ 2x8GB ram. Its better but still it randomly chrashes but not while gaming!
Took out the RTX 3080 but still crashed in windows so thats not the issue.

What do you guys think? Im writing this question while a game is running in the background so that the PC wouldnt shut down.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
One time it just wouldnt even turn on so i gave it the Eastern European treatment and gave it a good slap and suddenly it decided that it wants to turn on again.

With this kind of mentality, you'll be sooner than later looking towards MoBo replacement. Perhaps even entire PC replacement.

Recently bought an EVGA 850 B5 Modular power supply (Bronze) as ina few months ago

You clearly have enough money for high-end hardware, yet you cheap out on a PSU, why? :rolleyes:

With this kind of money spent, i'd expect to see EVGA Supernova T2 in there (which won't give you any issues), not the cheap B5 with loads of issues.

Jan 16, 2023
I know i know regarding the slap but i had to he honest. You are absolutely right regarding that.

PSU prices are up in my country big time and i thought a respectable brands cheaper model would do the work just fine. Maybe i was wrong?

So you think its absolutely the PSU? Even if strangely its working the opposite and not crash while a heavy workload is introduced but just simple tasks/idle?

Hey guys and gals,

I have an issue on which i am genuinly scratching my head.

So i have the following specced PC:

I9 9900 (non K)
MSI Z370i Gaming Carbon ac
Trident Z RGB 3200 Mhz 2x8GB ddr4
RTX 3080 (EVGA)
Decent air cooler on the cpu
Intel p650 nvme ssd

All of a sudden the PC just randomly decides to completely shut down as if there s a power shortage and restart instantly.
What makes the situation interesting is that the ONLY TIME it will not shut down is when theres a heavy workload (a game running). Yes tested it out. Normal usage without gaming a shutdown would occur within 30 mins. With a game running? 5-6 hours and still no crash.

But if i just browse the web, watch youtube, watch a movie, copy files, update windows it randomly shuts down. According to event viewer its kernel 41 (61) critical error. Couldnt even test hardwares out because half ways in any component test the system would decide it needed its hourly smack in the head and turns off.

What i have tried:
Updated windows, checked if whether an update was causing issue. Nope. Randomly started.
Updated drivers
Checked cables for contact issues. Nothing.
Reinstalled Windows (it was a hassle as the system would shut down randomly in every install attempt)
Swapped out the SSD for a Gygabyte nvme ssd. Same issue
Noticed when i was messing with the RAM sticks that if i swapped them it would get worse. 1 RAM stick wouldnt even run and the other would give random shutdowns. So naturally i was like haha got you! Bought a brand new Kingston Fury 3600 MHZ 2x8GB ram. Its better but still it randomly chrashes but not while gaming!
Took out the RTX 3080 but still crashed in windows so thats not the issue.

What do you guys think? Im writing this question while a game is running in the background so that the PC wouldnt shut down.
If vibrating the case causes or corrects this it would seem like you have something loose.

Does it do this if you just sit in the bios?

Reactions: jameshatchinbp
Jan 16, 2023
If vibrating the case causes or corrects this it would seem like you have something loose.

Does it do this if you just sit in the bios?
I will try the bios thank you for the tip but what would that prove? I have took the PC apart and reconnected everything just in case and the issue still remained.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So you think its absolutely the PSU? Even if strangely its working the opposite and not crash while a heavy workload is introduced but just simple tasks/idle?

Random reboots/ shut downs are caused by 3 issues:
  1. Too high CPU/GPU thermals.
  2. Poor PSU that acts up.
  3. Electricity grid issues.

#1 is easy to test, just download HWinfo64 and monitor the temps.

#2 is most likely suspect, since what you bought, at best, is mediocre quality PSU.
For 2nd opinion, your PSU sits in Tier B, low priority unit,
PSU tier list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

While for the high-end hardware you're running, i wouldn't look anything short of Tier A.

#3 is easy to fix, just buy an UPS. Line-interactive, true/pure sine wave, in the range of 850W and up.
Since even when you'd have good/great quality PSU in there (e.g EVGA T2 or Seasonic PRIME or Corsair AX/AXi), it does not protect against blackouts, brownouts and surges, which can: corrupt your OS or even outright kill your high-end PSU. With that kind of expensive hardware, an UPS is a must. Heck, IMO, every PC should be backed up by an UPS (my Skylake and Haswell builds are).

PSU prices are up in my country big time and i thought a respectable brands cheaper model would do the work just fine. Maybe i was wrong?

Most of EVGA PSUs are poor. There are some good ones, but overall, i wouldn't buy EVGA PSU. Better get Seasonic PRIME, Super Flower Leadex III or Flextronics (Corsair AXi).
(Two of my PCs are running Seasonic PRIME, while 3rd is running Seasonic Focus+.)

Jan 16, 2023
Random reboots/ shut downs are caused by 3 issues:
  1. Too high CPU/GPU thermals.
  2. Poor PSU that acts up.
  3. Electricity grid issues.
#1 is easy to test, just download HWinfo64 and monitor the temps.

#2 is most likely suspect, since what you bought, at best, is mediocre quality PSU.
For 2nd opinion, your PSU sits in Tier B, low priority unit,
PSU tier list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

While for the high-end hardware you're running, i wouldn't look anything short of Tier A.

#3 is easy to fix, just buy an UPS. Line-interactive, true/pure sine wave, in the range of 850W and up.
Since even when you'd have good/great quality PSU in there (e.g EVGA T2 or Seasonic PRIME or Corsair AX/AXi), it does not protect against blackouts, brownouts and surges, which can: corrupt your OS or even outright kill your high-end PSU. With that kind of expensive hardware, an UPS is a must. Heck, IMO, every PC should be backed up by an UPS (my Skylake and Haswell builds are).

Most of EVGA PSUs are poor. There are some good ones, but overall, i wouldn't buy EVGA PSU. Better get Seasonic PRIME, Super Flower Leadex III or Flextronics (Corsair AXi).
(Two of my PCs are running Seasonic PRIME, while 3rd is running Seasonic Focus+.)
Mhmm. I see. Thank you for the information. Temps are exceptional. Although the RTX 3080 gets in the 80s but i undervolt it and it sits at a comfortable 70C in 100% load.

Will look into UPS thank you.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Will look into UPS thank you.

Good UPS brands to go for are CyberPower, TrippLite and APC.

Btw, UPS, proper UPS, will cost more than high-end PSU.

E.g my Seasonic PRIME TX-650 costed me €203 (best 650W PSU money could buy, 6 years ago). While my UPS, CyberPower CP1300EPFCLCD (1300VA/780W, line-interactive, true/pure sine wave) costed me €230 (5 years ago).

But with high price, comes good and lasting protection.