[SOLVED] PC randomly shutting down and rebooting, found a way to replicate, any suggestions?

Apr 17, 2021
My pc had two issues after my 750W psu died, random crash/reboot and my gpu would sound like a jet engine and freeze my screen. I used a back up 550w psu and bought a new gpu thinking my gpu was dying which it was and causing these issues. But that did not fix the random crashes. It happens randomly, I can be gaming for hours and have no issues and then the next session i might crash once and then be fine after reboot, I could be watching hours of video one day and then another day, ill crash on a certain video (oddly enough after reboot if I try to watch the video at the same time that I crashed, ill crash again so I skip that video).

I did however find a way to force the crash/reboot to happen 100%. If I attempt to record with OBS I will crash within seconds, but whats strange is if I change encoder to NVENC instead of x264 then i can record without issues, I've gone back and forth with the encoders and have not yet crashed while recording with NVENC, or at least so far but while using x264 it is a guaranteed crash.

I was wondering if anyone had any educated guesses as to what issues maybe related to encoders that could be causing these crashes? I'm not that tech savy but could this be CPU related, maybe drivers? I'm hoping a few simple solutions before I go and try more difficult things like trying new PSU or even CPU.

I did monitor temps and they never went above 50c, the crashes were sudden and random every time (except during obs recording which was 100%).

System specs:

-Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, 2796 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

-GPU GT 710

-8 gigs of ram