Fortmaniak

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
So I've had the following computer for give or take 3 years now:

i7 6700
GTX 970
16gb RAM
Coolermaster g650m

I've had a similar problem last year where my PC would freeze randomly and I had to pull the plug out to restart it. That problem fixed itself somehow. Now I moved 4 days ago and yesterday, while playing PoE for about 3 hours straight, my PC randomly turned off and restarted itself, almost like a split second power cut. After turning it on, I had PoE open for another 3 hours and it did it again.

• I've tried memtesting, my memory is fine.
  • Event viewer says Kernel 41.
  • Happened once at 5:48(10 hours on PC) yesterday after having PoE open for a couple of hours, and then at 9:05(3 hours on) doing the same thing. I will update if it happens more.
  • Temps are fine, peaking 70 on intensive games
I just have no idea what could it be? Randomly started yesterday.

Last edited:
Solution
Next time it turns off I will stop using it, new power supply will take 5 days to arrive which is kind of a bummer. I don't hear it make any strange noises or anything though?

Would Corsair TX-M Series TX750M be a good choice?
It doesn't need to make any noises. Noise would be a result as the fan in the PSU going bad, but if the power supply is giving the wrong voltages to your hardware, it can not only cause damage to the computer's internal components, but it could also start a fire in severe cases. If your computer is randomly turning off without overheating or giving a blue screen, the first component I target is the power supply, as it is the most dangerous to have not working properly.

The PSU you have chosen has...

Fortmaniak

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
It is probably the power supply. I recommend to stop using your system until you get a new one. EVGA, Corsair and Seasonic are my favorite power supply manufacturers. Aim for 80+ Gold or better.

Next time it turns off I will stop using it, new power supply will take 5 days to arrive which is kind of a bummer. I don't hear it make any strange noises or anything though?

It doesn't need to make any noises. Noise would be a result as the fan in the PSU going bad, but if the power supply is giving the wrong voltages to your hardware, it can not only cause damage to the computer's internal components, but it could also start a fire in severe cases. If your computer is randomly turning off without overheating or giving a blue screen, the first component I target is the power supply, as it is the most dangerous to have not working properly.

The PSU you have chosen has questionable reviews. How about a EVGA Supernova P2 80+ platinum power supply? It goes for about $100 on eBay brand new and is extremely reliable.

Solution

The PSU you have chosen has questionable reviews. How about a EVGA Supernova P2 80+ platinum power supply? It goes for about $100 on eBay brand new and is extremely reliable.
If that is too pricey for your tastes, the Supernova G2 is a good choice as well. Corsair has much better power supplies out there if you are trying to stick with them, such as the SF750 80+ Platinum model. Remember, the more expensive the PSU, the more reliable (typically - with a bit of common sense) it usually is. Don't spend hundreds/thousands on your machine then buy a $40 power supply.

Fortmaniak

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
If that is too pricey for your tastes, the Supernova G2 is a good choice as well. Corsair has much better power supplies out there if you are trying to stick with them, such as the SF750 80+ Platinum model. Remember, the more expensive the PSU, the more reliable (typically - with a bit of common sense) it usually is. Don't spend hundreds/thousands on your machine then buy a $40 power supply.

Alright I'll be going for the EVGA G2 650 then. I can only find 1200W P2's in my country so that will be a no.

I've also just realised the PSU makes a weird "fan hitting a cable" sound. Think it needs straight up replacing.

Alright I'll be going for the EVGA G2 650 then. I can only find 1200W P2's in my country so that will be a no.

I've also just realised the PSU makes a weird "fan hitting a cable" sound. Think it needs straight up replacing.
I'd say that's a scary noise! Yeah I wouldn't use your computer from now until you get the power supply. Use that time to clean out your computer and take the old one out :)

Fortmaniak

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
I'd say that's a scary noise! Yeah I wouldn't use your computer from now until you get the power supply. Use that time to clean out your computer and take the old one out :)

Ok thank you. Last thing, is there any chance it could be the socket? I just moved in 2 days ago and currently running on an extender with 6 sockets plugged. Any reason for me to even attempt to plug it into a seperate wall socket?

Fortmaniak

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016

i7 6700
GTX 970
16gb RAM
Coolermaster g650m

I've had a similar problem last year where my PC would freeze randomly and I had to pull the plug out to restart it. That problem fixed itself somehow. Now I moved 4 days ago and yesterday, while playing PoE for about 3 hours straight, my PC randomly turned off and restarted itself, almost like a split second power cut. After turning it on, I had PoE open for another 3 hours and it did it again.

• Happened once at 5:48(10 hours on PC) yesterday after having PoE open for a couple of hours, and then at 9:05(3 hours on) doing the same thing. I will update if it happens more.
I sent my PSU back for warranty as I thought it was it. The guy said the PSU ran fine on his setup for 2 days and sent it back to me. Let me make clear. The first ever time this happened I was alt-tabbed from PoE playing for 3 hours, on Control Pannel and it happened as soon as I clicked Yes to uninstall Path of Bulding (a popular tool for PoE), it just turned off and restarted. The second time it happened while randomly playing PoE again for a long period of time. Not sure if it has anything to do with software but I'm just mentioning it.

i7 6700
GTX 970
16gb RAM
Coolermaster g650m

I sent my PSU back for warranty as I thought it was it. The guy said the PSU ran fine on his setup for 2 days and sent it back to me. Let me make clear. The first ever time this happened I was alt-tabbed from PoE playing for 3 hours, on Control Pannel and it happened as soon as I clicked Yes to uninstall Path of Bulding (a popular tool for PoE), it just turned off and restarted. The second time it happened while randomly playing PoE again for a long period of time. Not sure if it has anything to do with software but I'm just mentioning it.

Hmm odd, well at least you know your PSU isn't going to blow up your system, so that's a relief. My apologies that it did not work. You could always try a fresh Windows install. I usually do that if I am having issues because it can save a ton of time vs trying to find rogue software.

Fortmaniak

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Hmm odd, well at least you know your PSU isn't going to blow up your system, so that's a relief. My apologies that it did not work. You could always try a fresh Windows install. I usually do that if I am having issues because it can save a ton of time vs trying to find rogue software.

Haven't done that in about 2 years so I'll give it a try and report back :D

Fortmaniak

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Sounds like a plan :) Good luck, I hope everything runs OK :)

Hmm I might have located the problem? This is in WoW...
0YKwMlJ.png

Let me also add I decided to stress test it yesterday and played about 12 hours of league and it was fine ( GPU temps max 50 and CPU temps max 60 ) but as soon as I go on a more intensive game my GPU temps skyrocket?

Last edited: