Question PC rebooting constantly

Xazur604

Reputable
May 17, 2017
Specs:

CPU: i7 5960x 3.0ghz | GPU: Evga gtx 1080 ti ftw3 | MOBO: Asus V Rampage gen1 | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x60 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Monitor: ROG Swift PG278Q | Asus VG248QE | MEM: G.skill Ripjawz 4x8gb 2400 | Drives: Samsung Evo 850 500gb | WD Caviar Black 4tb | Samsung Evo 1tb | Case: CM Storm Trooper | OS: Windows 10

After fixing my overheating issue I had a while back by replacing my AIO, I started to experience my pc rebooting. My pc would out of nowhere just reboot itself while I am gaming. I would be able to game for 1-2 hours fine then in the middle of my game, my pc would just reboot without any error message. After rebooting, it wouldn't even post and just go into a reboot loop in which I would just force shut off. I would then just leave my pc off for a day and try again and it would go back to working fine until the next time pc would reboot out of nowhere. As far as I can tell all my hardware is working properly and I rechecked connections. I thought it might have been software related so I reformatted my pc but the issue still kept occuring. Could this be a software issue on the particular game I am playing? Temp wise my cpu doesn't run hotter than ~70c and gpu is like ~50c. What would cause my pc to reboot and then be working fine until I experienced the same problem again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Specs:

CPU: i7 5960x 3.0ghz | GPU: Evga gtx 1080 ti ftw3 | MOBO: Asus V Rampage gen1 | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x60 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Monitor: ROG Swift PG278Q | Asus VG248QE | MEM: G.skill Ripjawz 4x8gb 2400 | Drives: Samsung Evo 850 500gb | WD Caviar Black 4tb | Samsung Evo 1tb | Case: CM Storm Trooper | OS: Windows 10

After fixing my overheating issue I had a while back by replacing my AIO, I started to experience my pc rebooting. My pc would out of nowhere just reboot itself while I am gaming. I would be able to game for 1-2 hours fine then in the middle of my game, my pc would just reboot without any error message. After rebooting, it wouldn't even post and just go into a reboot loop in which I would just force shut off. I would then just leave my pc off for a day and try again and it would go back to working fine until the next time pc would reboot out of nowhere. As far as I can tell all my hardware is working properly and I rechecked connections. I thought it might have been software related so I reformatted my pc but the issue still kept occuring. Could this be a software issue on the particular game I am playing? Temp wise my cpu doesn't run hotter than ~70c and gpu is like ~50c. What would cause my pc to reboot and then be working fine until I experienced the same problem again?
tried to adjust the mounting pressure of the aio? sometimes too tight pressure causes it

Xazur604

Reputable
May 17, 2017
Took it to a repair shop, the technician said my motherboard was at fault. Though I did ask if they checked my other hardware and they said they didn't. Asked if the motherboard was repairable, but they said the time spent on it (10 hours or more) would cost more than buying a new one. Thought they never did tell me exactly what was wrong with it. So my question is, do I spend the time to buy a new mobo that is 7 years old or buy a new mobo and cpu?

Last edited:
Took it to a repair shop, the technician said my motherboard was at fault. Though I did ask if they checked my other hardware and they said they didn't. Asked if the motherboard was repairable, but they said the time spent on it (10 hours or more) would cost more than buying a new one. Thought they never did tell me exactly what was wrong with it. So my question is, do I spend the time to buy a new mobo that is 7 years old or buy a new mobo and cpu?
ask the technician and see them while testing the components , if you're sus to them and feel like want to spend better money on this problem.

itsduhhbzz

Commendable
Sep 21, 2021
I want to know why a tech said it would take 10 hours or more replacing the motherboard..

Even if you had a case like this:
alienware-area-51-2014-product-photos09.jpg

you would still be looking at a 3 hour work order at most.. unless they're adding in the cost of the part too.

I would shop around other technicians too.. Especially since they didn't check other components to fully get a grasp and properly narrow down the issue...

Xazur604

Reputable
May 17, 2017
I want to know why a tech said it would take 10 hours or more replacing the motherboard..

Even if you had a case like this:
alienware-area-51-2014-product-photos09.jpg

you would still be looking at a 3 hour work order at most.. unless they're adding in the cost of the part too.

I would shop around other technicians too.. Especially since they didn't check other components to fully get a grasp and properly narrow down the issue...
Yeah, I mean I chose that place because it looked like they had the tools to repair it but it just didn't feel like the guy wanted to fix it. I asked if it was worth repairing, they said they would charge by the hour and depending on how much time was put in it wouldn't be worth it. I asked if they had replacement but seeing how I built my Pc 6 years ago it's hard to get one so I just asked for my Pc back so I can decide.

Anyways, I am looking at mobo replacements but it doesn't seem any major retailer carries X99 mobos anymore, either they are $300+ and will take long to ship or they are off brands like on Amazon. Considering also just getting a new cpu and mobo, like amd ryzen 5 3600x. Just as a placeholder until DDR5 becomes mainstream.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS