[SOLVED] PC reboots/shuts down when gaming ?

anon2856

Prominent
Jul 4, 2021
After doing a lot of research and testing with various applications I think I am getting close to the heart of the issue.
My system shuts down consistently within minutes of running the OCCT power stress test. I checked the PSU with a voltmeter and all the readings were good.
This leads me to believe one of the other components is the culprit. But I am not sure where to go from here. My system and all it's components are only about 2 years old.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
Geforce GTX 1070
16G RAM
Cooler Master 650W Gold PSU
Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming-CF

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

CoolerMaster is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit and Gold will be the 80+ efficiency rating. You didn't mention the model of the unit from CoolerMaster's portfolio. How old is the unit? If the system shuts down after being stressed/taxed, the issue can be one of two;
1| the system is overheating(thermal protection)
or
2| the PSU is faulty or failing(incapable of delivering power to the entire system).

Use HWMonitor to monitor temps when taxing the system and take note of your ambient room air temps.

Lutfij

Titan

CoolerMaster is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit and Gold will be the 80+ efficiency rating. You didn't mention the model of the unit from CoolerMaster's portfolio. How old is the unit? If the system shuts down after being stressed/taxed, the issue can be one of two;
or
2| the PSU is faulty or failing(incapable of delivering power to the entire system).

Use HWMonitor to monitor temps when taxing the system and take note of your ambient room air temps.

Solution
Typically systems shut off due to one of 2 things under load. Power or heat. Have you tried running hwmonitor under load to see your temperatures?

what case are you using and what is cooling like? I once had a power supply, back when top mounted power supplies were the norm, that would shut my system off under a load. I had to have an exhaust fan mounted directly under it and then it wouldn’t shut off.

As the poster above said, if you have owned the system a while, power supplies will get weak. It is possible that under load your power supply just can’t supply the power needed. You wouldn’t really see that on a voltmeter under test conditions since you wouldn’t have the power supply under load.

anon2856

Prominent
Jul 4, 2021

or

It's about 2 years old. Model is mpy-6501-afaag
I got HWMonitor and have been watching temps. CPU stays around 83C in a warm room under load.

Last edited:

anon2856

Prominent
Jul 4, 2021
Typically systems shut off due to one of 2 things under load. Power or heat. Have you tried running hwmonitor under load to see your temperatures?

what case are you using and what is cooling like? I once had a power supply, back when top mounted power supplies were the norm, that would shut my system off under a load. I had to have an exhaust fan mounted directly under it and then it wouldn’t shut off.

As the poster above said, if you have owned the system a while, power supplies will get weak. It is possible that under load your power supply just can’t supply the power needed. You wouldn’t really see that on a voltmeter under test conditions since you wouldn’t have the power supply under load.
Cougar MX330 Mid Tower case. My PSU is situated on the bottom back of the case and pulls air in from the bottom. There was a little dust buildup on the screen I just vacuumed up.

anon2856

Prominent
Jul 4, 2021
I will try to test the system on a diff PSU today. Unfortunately I have not built up a collection of extra PC components yet. This is quite an interesting/frustrating learning process.

anon2856

Prominent
Jul 4, 2021
The reboots started with the heat wave we just had recently. At first I thought this was just an overheating issue but the restarts persisted even on cool days. Perhaps the heat wave pushed a component over the edge that was already close to failing.

anon2856

Prominent
Jul 4, 2021
That is pretty high for a 2600X, what cooler do you use?
Stock wraith cooler that came with it. I think I'll invest in a better one.

Update: It was indeed my PSU. Swapped out my Cooler Master 650W for an EVGA 850W GQ. No problems now. THank you all for your input!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador