[SOLVED] PC reboots then has hangs after POST ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreadmyst

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2015
I am a self-taught amateur tech. A couple of years ago I built a computer for a friend and he brought it to me a couple of months (time frame is due to catching c-19 and making a wrong claim to the true issue) ago cause it was acting up. He mentioned to me that it goes into a black screen state like it's sleeping but won't wake up. The first thing I did was check to see the power settings and disabled sleep/hibernate settings and run a time test.

After a couple of days, it did the same thing so I thought it was a power supply issue. he was using a 600w 80 white PSU so I thought maybe the PSU was bad so I took a spare known-good PSU and hooked it up and it ran fine for several days so I diagnosed it as a PSU issue. Had him get a new PSU, installed it, and now it's doing the same thing again. I just happened to be around the PC when it did its act up and I heard it do the reboot POST beep, so I turned the tv it was hooked up to and switched to its source, and it's hanging on a black screen. My next guess is that it's an issue with the MB but, it is passing POST and signaling the beep. So before I fire the parts cannon again I want to check with fellow techs and see if I'm thinking I'm in the right direction. I am waiting to hear from Gigabytes RMA customer service to see if I can swap the board.

In order to get it to boot again I need to interrupt the power from the PSU, usually the switch on the back, and then it boots up fine until it encounters the issue and reboots again. I have ran memtest and memtest reports that the ram is fine. Something is causing the PC to reboot then hang after post and I'm not sure what.

Thanks in advance
(the specs in my signature are for my rig and not the rig in question)

Dreadmyst

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2015
Update, I took it to a local shop that does free diagnostic and they have come to the conclusion that I was theorizing of the MB has failed.

We can mark this post as solved :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.