Question PC refuses to restart, it can manually turn off and on, but not restart on it's own.

Jun 30, 2019
Heya folks, as the title says, my PC has for quite some time refused to restart.
On the tower is a restart button next to the power button, and that shuts the PC off and USED to restart the PC.
Restarting from the Windows Start menu also worked back then.
Now what happens is the following: The PC turns off, all signals to mouse, keyboard, screen is turned off.
The PC never turns off, but continues to buzz lowly, in this slumber-like state as if absolutely no programs are running on it, of course, because there aren't.
Then I hold the power button down, turning the PC off, and turn it back on, and it works as if it was a restart.
I've tried letting it run like this for 24 hours before when I ran experiments, and it always kept itself in this continuous slumber state.

I'm putting this thread in the motherboard section because today I put in a new SSD, with a new clean slate of Windows 10, and the problem is still there.

Of course I have survived for at least 3 years with this, but it's gotten really tedious with forced windows updates that restart your PC.
I'm hoping you can help me out.
My wife told me that I should expect to be questioned thourougly by y'all because you're really into this, however, I must warn you, I'm not exactly techy myself- maybe a lot more than your average user, but no where near as experienced as you guys.

I also realize that I might as well tell you what motherboard I have right away.

Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821) (SOCKET 0)
From MSI is what Speccy tells me.

If you can fix this problem for me, I'll buy you a beer or a coffee on paypal.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the complete specs (make/model of all components) of this rig? Have you reset the motherboard BIOS to its default settings during any of your troubleshooting steps? How about updating the motherboard BIOS to the most recent version?

Jun 30, 2019
What are the complete specs (make/model of all components) of this rig? Have you reset the motherboard BIOS to its default settings during any of your troubleshooting steps? How about updating the motherboard BIOS to the most recent version?

View: https://i.imgur.com/p63yHUJ.png

Here are the complete specs, just a little while ago I updated to the newest BIOS version succesfully and it didn't help with my problem.
I have not reset the BIOS to the default settings.
How dangerous is this? Because I was told updating my BIOS version was very risky.
Thanks for your reply!

Jun 29, 2019
I was going to say the same thing as above. Sounds like a BIOS issue. I would start by verifying all of your BIOS settings are properly set, or as mentioned set for default, and download the latest greatest from MOBO mfg.

Jun 30, 2019
Correction, when I hit Exit and Save, it succesfully restarted, but only inside BIOS, it still refuses to restart when I press the physical restart button and also in start menu.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
PSUs can and do degrade over time. If the BIOS settings are good, then the PSU is the next likely culprit.

By the way, is Windows fully up to date? Same question for your major drivers (motherboard chipset, video, audio, network)?

Jun 30, 2019
PSUs can and do degrade over time. If the BIOS settings are good, then the PSU is the next likely culprit.

By the way, is Windows fully up to date? Same question for your major drivers (motherboard chipset, video, audio, network)?

Everything is up to date, but you're right, the PSU haven't been upgraded since I built it around 6 -7 years ago.
Can you explain to me as if I was 5 years old why my PSU is the problem here?