PC Requirements That Are Accurate and Can Be Trusted

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
Since physical copies of PC are becoming more and more a thing of the past (sadly), where on this beautiful piece of technology we call the WorldWideWeb, can I find the proper and most accurate recommended system requirements for high-end, top-notch games?

I use www.systemrequirementslab.com, Can You RUN it?, but is it REALLY that helpful and legit? I'm unsure.

What have you all done and could you all possibly recommend places to look, :D?

Thank you,
Steve

Solution

My rule of thumb is this when I tell people about 'trust' and the Internet.

IF the webpage has contact information, legal statements, etc. and you can
ACTUALLY GO TO THEIR BUILDING
to punch them in the face / send your Lawyer to sue them,
then they will be as 'legit' as...

AdviserKulikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
Unfortunately, the Developers do not have a standard for minimum requirements, and these tools do not simulate running the game.

Often you can get away with running 1-2 parts under the minimum requirements, but you will need to cut some settings and will not likely hit good framerates.

For example: that site says the minimum AMD processor for Dying Light is an FX-8320, I'm running an FX-6100 and I get ~21 FPS minimum, hovers around 35-40 normally and peaks around 60. (I have double the recommended RAM and a GTX970 which is slightly above the advised GTX780.) Using this rig and maximum graphics settings (except render distance, which impacts CPU performance)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
From the vendors themselves usually.

Can You Run It goes another step and looks at your hardware and compares it to the minimum and recommended hardware from each vendor, but doesn't actually test anything.

Benchmarks will tell you what specific hardware can handle. Not necessarily your exact configuration, but it will tell you what each component can do under ideal conditions.

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

I'm running Dying Light on full-load, ultra everything and I have great frames with my specs below:

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333.
GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G. Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD
890FX S. CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition

So it looks like Can You RUN It?, www.systemrequirementslab.com cannot be trusted, haha. I see....GameDebate seems like the best option, so I've heard.

I know I won't get away with this for The Witcher 3 or MK X, at least on super ultra, maybe med-high.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

You are doing better then the recommended, so I am not sure why you are surprised. Your Phenom may not be as new as the FX8000 series chips, but it is actually a better design.

Also comes down to opinion. One person's acceptable level of game performance is another's "this is unplayable" All depends what you are used to.

My rule of thumb is this when I tell people about 'trust' and the Internet.

IF the webpage has contact information, legal statements, etc. and you can
ACTUALLY GO TO THEIR BUILDING
to punch them in the face / send your Lawyer to sue them,
then they will be as 'legit' as you can get just as if it was
actually PRINTED material that you got at a newsstand.

All businesses know they are subject to LIABILITY, which can make even a CEO of a Corp PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE (aka face imprisonment, subject to fiscal penalties, loss of assets, etc.) for the actions of the company. With that RESPONSIBILITY, they don't want to mess with giving say 'bought for' reviews, etc.

What your 'normally' seeing are BLOGS and OPINIONS, and they have NO RESPONSIBILITY because you can't even "find" whom they are "out there" so like that 'guy in the dirty van in that dark alley' you SHOULDN'T trust them to be "legit".

That said, the best review high end (aka EXPENSIVE) I seen is in CPU (www.ComputerPowerUser.com) magazine or www.MaximumPC.com, which are also in print at the newsstands. Of course if you went to www.tomshardware.com www.anandtech.com www.hardocp.com etc. they are all primarily Internet based, but are legit places as I mentioned (you can go to their main offices and punch someone in the face).

Yes www.CanYouRunit.com is legit because the SAME specs they show on a GAME you find by GOING to the GAME information page on that GAME Website / read the side of the display box in the store. So there is no way they can't be "legit" as they are just reproducing the specs, then looking at your hardware and comparing it.
IF THEY SCANNED your PC and told you to BUY their hardware that would be where the 'legit' may start to fault, as they may fake results, but they DO NOT do that, they just 'match' what you have to the specs of the game and tell where you are.
AGAIN YOU CAN VERIFY IT YOURSELF(as I have) and they are just 'matching' numbers (is a Pentium II less powerful then a i7-4770K? YES, so your P2 can't play Far Cry 4 at Ultra settings.... )

Solution

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Eximo, I'm just worried about running The Witcher 3 and Mortal Kombat X. I knew I would be fine with Dying Light, since my radeon 6950 from 4 1/2 years ago was putting up great frames.

I understand where you're all coming from. I switched to Nvidia...so it looks like I'm going to complete the circle and get myself an Intel MoBo and CPU as well

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT, GUYS!