PC restarted and smells like Smoke

Seth_24

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
I have a gaming pc from Cyberpower and was playing WarThunder when it suddenly completely shut off and restarted. i smelt electrical smoke so i quickly shut off the PSU and unplugged it. I opened it up and the smell seemingly came from the CPU cooler. It still starts up and runs seemingly fine, but i installed Speedfan and noticed that my GPU's heat reached 65 degrees incredibly fast whenever i opened up a game then continued to slowly climb until i shut it down at 80. that may be normal, but shouldn't it plateau before 80? I need help identifying the problem. Any ideas? If need be i can post what hardware i got, but im not in a position to now and i can't remember all of the components off the top of my head.

Solution
Well best thing would be to know which components.One thing i really should ask first wether there's still warranty on the build ... if so use it!

I don't think an "electrical smoke" comes from a cpu so if the psu is top mounted would i rather think it comes from that.You could reseat the cpu cooler with some fresh paste,never a bad idea,can check for paste issues when at it.
If the psu is top mounted would i for the pc's sake (and your wallets) replace it or at least test with another one since that smell probably comes from there then.You could smell at the psu's backside :p as well to be more sure.

Then there's the temp issue with the gpu,seems to be a problem too.Maybe comes form the psu not limiting power anymore somehow,but...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well best thing would be to know which components.One thing i really should ask first wether there's still warranty on the build ... if so use it!

I don't think an "electrical smoke" comes from a cpu so if the psu is top mounted would i rather think it comes from that.You could reseat the cpu cooler with some fresh paste,never a bad idea,can check for paste issues when at it.
If the psu is top mounted would i for the pc's sake (and your wallets) replace it or at least test with another one since that smell probably comes from there then.You could smell at the psu's backside :p as well to be more sure.

Then there's the temp issue with the gpu,seems to be a problem too.Maybe comes form the psu not limiting power anymore somehow,but that would probably mean that the pc shouldn't work like that,otherwise might the psu have damaged that too.I wouldn't keep using it (the pc) before finding a solution for the "electrical smoke".Testing with another psu would be the first thing on my list.

Solution

Seth_24

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016

No luck on the warranty. Its a build i made back in 2011. I kept her clean as a whistle. The PSU is bottom mounted and it did not smell like smoke when it all went down, but it is a very cheap crappy PSU (i figured that out just a while ago doing some research) so i will replace it when possible. Any recommendations?

Seth_24

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016

I'm going to go ahead and replace both the GPU and the PSU. I had already ordered the GTX 1080 before the issue, but i have no clue what PSUs are considered good and what ones are garbage. I'm looking to get a 650w PSU that is good quality. i've done some research, but i keep getting mixed reviews. Any recommendations?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
With some price margin in between them,
http://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/Rp8H99,nB3RsY,R7V48d/
the middle one would be very nice already.
Don't know what cpu so 550watt might just be fine for you if only having a 1 gpu system for now and in the future.

Seth_24

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016

got two expensive components on the way a new gpu and a psu. Hopefully that ill fix it I'll let you know when i get everything fixed. Thanks for the help!

TRENDING THREADS