[SOLVED] PC restarting itself at random times

Sep 4, 2019
Hello :D
My PC keeps restarting by itself randomly. It has been working just fine for the past 6+ months until very recently.
Here are my specs. Ask if you need more details but preferably tell me where to get the info because Im not extremely familiar with that.
Motherboard = Asus PRIME B450M-K
RAM = DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, Noir, 2 x 8 Go, 2666 MHz, CAS 16
PSU = Corsair VS450 Model 75-001835
HD = Seagate BarraCuda, 3 To (Ref ST3000DM007)
CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
GPU = Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Window 10 version 1903

Idk much about tech stuff but I tried to rule out some possibilities from what I saw on the internet (and one post from Tom's) and based on common sense
  • It's not overheat. Manually checked the heat, and also happens sometimes right after I start my PC and with nothing open other than Firefox.
  • My PC can boot just fine, and usually run just fine and not particularly slow, but multiple times a day it'll restart
  • I saw that Windows 10 version 1903 was terrible and caused some abnormal CPU usage that sometimes cause random restarting, but from what taskmanager says, my CPU is only used at 3%.
The issue did start appearing recently (and that update was about 2-3 weeks ago) but I cant exactly remember if the issue was there a bit before this version update or not.
  • Problem happens randomly even when only Firefox is open or just Discord, but I noticed that launching a game will almost always cause a restart. For example, League of Legends client is no problem, but PC restarts as soon as the game loading is over and it enters the actual map/game.
  • Taskmanager shows a 70%+ RAM usage even with only Firefox active, which sounds very abnormal considering if I manually add all the stuff that is open, it barely reaches 1 GB grand total when I have 16 GB RAM.
  • My physical components are (or at least Id like to believe...) functional, they were bought 6 months ago... plus the PC actually starts and runs perfectly fine, random restarting aside
The fact that starting a game is an auto-trigger to restarting (and almost every single time, and if not, it'll happen shortly during the game) made me think this could be causing excess CPU usage, but it can't be the game itself, this game is very old and runs on machines far far worse than mine (like my previous one). And taskmanager says otherwise.

If anyone could help that would really save my life... random restarts are a huge annoyance that can ruin hours of work (even if I always try to save stuff as often as possible) and currently make it impossible to play games on my PC.

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who can help

Last edited:
Solution
usually running order in restarts (if you've eradticated software) is:
PSU > GPU > RAM > MB > CPU

Running in safe mode for a period may help identify if it is software, but usually a software problem will result in a crash or BSOD, not just a straight reboot. I'd be tempted to try swapping GPU with someone elses, you could also run memtest to check RAM module integrity.

Also can you post a screenshot of reliability history.
Sep 4, 2019
Ram - capacity, and number of sticks?
Storage?
Power supply make and model? Open up the PC and find the label. It has that information.
Motherboard = Asus PRIME B450M-K
RAM = DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, Noir, 2 x 8 Go, 2666 MHz, CAS 16
PSU = Corsair VS450 Model 75-001835
HD = Seagate BarraCuda, 3 To (Ref ST3000DM007)

Added to main post

Sep 4, 2019
That Corsair VS PSU, was that new 6 months ago? Does it have a Gray, black, and white label or a Green black and white label?
Gray, and no that's the part that I didn't change 6 months ago, that PSU is very old . Can't tell how old exactly, used to be my father's until he changed his PC.
Although Im skeptical this would be the problem despite it looking like an immediate flag for just about everyone... considering I tried to change the PSU today for 2 other PSUs being :
  • Corsair 600W Model OCZ600MXSP
  • Corsair CX600 / CMPSU-600CX
Both of those PSUs were working perfectly fine on their respective PC, the one using the CX600 being more intensive than mine in terms of usage (it's hard to get less intensive than Firefox lol). When I put them on mine, same issue, auto restart right when I start a game of League of Legends, and auto restart randomly a few hours later when Im just using Firefox and Discord.
Or does that still not rule out a PSU problem?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Running in safe mode for a period may help identify if it is software, but usually a software problem will result in a crash or BSOD, not just a straight reboot. I'd be tempted to try swapping GPU with someone elses, you could also run memtest to check RAM module integrity.

Reactions: Zavelin
Solution
Sep 4, 2019

View: https://imgur.com/pxWzPt2