Question PC restarts during gaming ?

Aug 28, 2024
Hello, hopefully someone can give me some answers. Recently my PC keeps restarting mid-game with the BSOD message Whea_Uncorrectable_Error in games like Elden Ring, Warzone, and Risk of Rain 2.

However, when I’m running anything but games my PC doesn’t restart even when using it for hours.

I’ve updated my bios, drivers and dusted the inside of my PC. I have been gaming with this setup for about a year now and I initially thought it was an overheating issue but my temps are

CPU(gaming): 55°-65°
Idle: 50°-55°
GPU(gaming): 50°-60°
Idle: 33°-40°

However, the problem still persists, not sure if the direction I need to go is a new PSU or RAM.

Specs:

MBD: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X (Kraken360AIO)
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 3080Ti
RAM: G-Skill 32GB 3600
PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-850

During gaming your 3080 ti is tripping the power supply with transient load spikes. The older ATX2.0 power supplies are not spec'd to handle them. Back when this first started happening it was recommended to move to a 1000W or more PSU to handle the spikes, now that the ATX3.0 PSU are out they are better spec'd to handle these power spikes.

Basically what is happening is for a few milliseconds the GPU is spiking over 500w tripping the 12v rail.

Before my new build i had a EVGA 2080 ti FTW3 ultra gaming on a EVGA 850w G2 PSU. Every day tasks and some light gaming would be fine, but if i got into heavy gaming it was like someone hitting the reset button on the computer. I had an older EVGA 1600W G2 from another build i swapped in and never had an issue after that. JayzTwoCents, GamerNexus, and i think even Linus Tech Tips did articles back in the day about this, basically say just move to a larger PSU.