[SOLVED] PC restarts in games and even when it's idle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2021
Hey. In the last months I've been having a problem with my PC and I'm making this post to gather some opinions and possible solutions about it. (In first place, I'm not native english speaker, so I apologize for any grammar mistake)

So, I've got my PC built between december 2020 and january 2021. About 4 months after enjoying it, I started experiencing restarts while using my computer for gaming duties. These restarts consist of a cut off in the power which shut downs the PC and then it starts again in about 3 seconds, all lights and fans turn off, a hard restart. Kernel Power 63.

First it started happening with games like Fallout 4, Fortnite in maximum settings and very isolated cases (like Euro Truck Simulator 2), as well as certain tests like AIDA 64 (which by the way was able to run 2 hours sometimes or just trigger a restart in 5 minutes), and OCCT. I started trying the solutions I could find online like all the software things (power options, drivers, BIOS...), hardware solutions (reconnecting, trying other cables, reinserting parts...). Some other games and tests used all resources without triggering restarts, which was a bit weird. I was able to keep playing by reducing settings and undervolting the GPU a little bit in some cases. The most easy form of triggering the restarts (instantly) was using the OCCT 3D test or the PSU test.

With the pass of the time, problem was getting a bit worse, but was still "acceptable" for me. Around June I sent my GPU and PSU go the warranty in the store I bought them (known hardware online store in argentina), after scanning them and test them, they told me they weren't able to find problems on the parts. That put me in checkmate and it makes no sense.

So, during July and August I was able to keep playing with the reduced settings I could find. But it got worse and worse, after a month of playing Fortnite in medium settings, it restarted, then again, and again, and again, reduced it to low, it worked some days, then same thing happened, I reduced the settings to "performance mode", which uses very limited PC resources. I played more than a month with those settings, I got some isolated restarts in September. Meanwhile, the other games become unplayable, undervolt stopped working with Fallout 4, Cities Skylines started restarting my PC, and finishing september, Minecraft Java become unplayable on the next day to a 7 hours session.

And well, now im scr3wed up, it started restarting on idle, I can sometimes use the PC hours without having a restart but also I can encounter one when watching videos or browsing. I had to "forgot" about games, don't even want to open one right now.

My components:
-Gigabyte H310M M.2 2.0
-i5 9400
-RX 5500 XT 4 GB ASUS DUAL
-8 GB RAM 2666 MHz Mushkin
-240 GB SSD / 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM
-Thermaltake Smart 600W 80+ White

So, I would like to know what do you people think it could be, I've seen it should be a PSU problem, but as I said, I also got seller's "warranty" rejected and it's not so old. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Random reboots or shutdowns are mostly caused by 2 issues:
  1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
  2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.
First check your CPU/GPU temps, both at idle and under load. If temps are within reason then it's safe to assume that it's the PSU who is acting up.

Thermaltake Smart 600W 80+ White

A very poor PSU to use. Sure, it may not be that old but when it's crap, it doesn't matter if it's "brand new", "slightly used" or "abused". Crap is still crap.

While your PSU has enough wattage for your system, it's low quality PSU and most likely, the voltage regulation has sifted outside of the ATX PSU...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Random reboots or shutdowns are mostly caused by 2 issues:
  1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
  2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.
First check your CPU/GPU temps, both at idle and under load. If temps are within reason then it's safe to assume that it's the PSU who is acting up.

Thermaltake Smart 600W 80+ White

A very poor PSU to use. Sure, it may not be that old but when it's crap, it doesn't matter if it's "brand new", "slightly used" or "abused". Crap is still crap.

While your PSU has enough wattage for your system, it's low quality PSU and most likely, the voltage regulation has sifted outside of the ATX PSU standard specs of 5% on all rails (10% on -12V and -5V rails) and your PSU can't sustain stable enough voltage for your 130W GPU to run under higher load. That's why your PC shuts down once you start gaming. And as time has moved onwards, the PSU has worsened, where now, you'll get restarts even when PC is on idle.

Only fix is to buy a new, good quality PSU. I suggest getting Seasonic Focus or PRIME series unit, in 550W range.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Why 550W and not 600W or 650W?
Because your GPU is 130W and if you add the rest of the system at about 200W to it, total would be 330W. 550W PSU would be more than enough for your PC, even if you OC your GPU.
Oh, if you plan to overhaul your PC and go with beefier hardware, including GPU, 650W PSU is better in terms of future proofing.

Solution
May 18, 2021
Thank you for your reply! Ok, I'll try to catch a new PSU. My budget now isn't exactly high and as I live in Argentina... Well. I don't think I can reach the units you mentioned but I'll see if I can get a CX550 in the next month, it seems like a solid unit and I have listened good opinions about it for the range. What do you think about it? With my actual savings I am able to reach a Corsair CV650, do you think it's really a bad one or I could go for one of those too?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Corsair CX550? If so, it is only good for office PC, without dedicated GPU. For gaming PC, look towards Corsair RM, RMx or RMi.

When it comes to Corsair, PSUs, from worst to good, go like this: VS, CV, CX, CXm, TX, RM, TXm, RMi, RMx, HX, HXi, AX, AXi.

So, for gaming build, RM series would be bare minimum.
CX and CXm series are only good if you have office PC.
And VS, CV, are good as paper weights or door stoppers.

Oh, if you do go with CX550, expect to see the same problems you currently have, since both PSUs (your TT Smart and CX550) are more-or-less of same, poor quality.

One more thing: Good products cost more money to build, and in turn, also cost more to buy. If you want good and cheap PSU, you need to buy two PSUs, the good one and the cheap one. You already have cheap PSU, are you going to buy another cheap PSU? Or are you now going to buy good PSU?

And yes, i do know that not all of us have loads of money to buy best products (e.g Corsair AXi), but buying at least good enough would suffice, right?
Since when you look it at long term perspective, CX550 costs ~50 USD (this is example), while RM550 costs ~70USD (again, example price). Now, if your new CX550 also develops a fault, and question here isn't IF, but WHEN, then you'd be looking towards new PSU, again. Another CX550 would cost another 50USD, making total spent money to 100USD, which is far more than the 70USD a good quality RM550 costed.
So, going with better PSU right away actually saves more money in the long run, rather than buying cheap PSUs and replacing them every year or two.

---

Different persons have different standards (some have higher standards while others have lower standards) and it's up to every person to decide how good of a build quality components are safe to use in their PC. But keep in mind that PSU is the most important component inside the PC since it powers everything.

Since i care a lot about all my PCs, i won't put a mediocre quality unit into my PC that fails to meet ATX PSU standards set in place for all OEMs to follow, so that the PSUs are safe to use and doesn't damage other components. In fact, i've gone above and beyond regarding PSUs in my PCs.
Some may call me nuts that i payed €206.80 EUR for a PSU that sits in my Skylake build (Seasonic SSR-650TD) and my latest PSU purchase for Haswell build costed €205.50 EUR (Seasonic SSR-650TR), while i would've been safe with a PSU that costs €80.50 EUR (Seasonic GX-550). While that can be true and i could've saved a lot of money, i feel safe and comfortable that my two main PCs are powered by the best offered by Seasonic.

I won't suggest expensive PSUs when the budget is way restricted. But i still suggest getting a PSU that at least meets all the ATX PSU standards, even if it's fully wired (like Seasonic SS-520GB or Seasonic GC-550). And in your case, that translates me suggesting Corsair RM, RMi or RMx for you, rahter than suggesting far more expensive and better Corsair HX, HXi, AX or AXi.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021
So, an update here. I received a CX 550 around 3 months ago, and i haven't had any other restart since then! I didn't tested it in benchmarks still but it completely solved the problem in idle and games.

May 18, 2021
The 1st CX550 you had, worked fine for 4 months, before issues arise. At current moment, you have a month to go, before the 2nd CX550 may start acting up as well. So, if... no, When the 2nd CX550 also starts acting up, will you go for 3rd CX550 or get something better and more reliable? :unsure:
There have been almost five months, and no, the older one was a Thermaltake, I know other people had problems with them and in my case the CX550 is that "more reliable" PSU. My country is going deep and my budget isn't enough for a better one. Also as I understand according to the linustechtips tier list, this is a Tier B and its useful for mid range builds like mine

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Also as I understand according to the linustechtips tier list, this is a Tier B and its useful for mid range builds like mine

LTT PSU tier list is more of a guideline, than actual rule and that list is biased, favoring some brands while downplaying others, based on personal preference.

Like i said above: "Different persons have different standards (some have higher standards while others have lower standards) and it's up to every person to decide how good of a build quality components are safe to use in their PC. But keep in mind that PSU is the most important component inside the PC since it powers everything."

If you think that mediocre quality PSU is good enough for you, go for it. In the end, it's your PC and your money. And when you start facing the same issue again, then you know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.