Question PC restarts in when playing some games (Power problem?)

Aug 30, 2020
My PC restarts it self when I am playing some games that (I suppose) need more graphics power (like Mortal Kombat X, the enter sequence of Tomb Raider or Ori and The blind forest in heavy water sequences but this works if I lower the resolution from 1920p to something like 1080p or 720p).

As per what I have read in Tom's Hardware it is probably a PSU problem. My PC is an 5 years old PC I build my self (first time in my life!) And I tried to do everything correctly but maybe I missed something.

My PC parts are

PSU: be quiet! BN232 Straight Power 10 600W
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Kühler 14 Heatpipes BK019
Case: be Quiet! Silent Base 800 PC ATX Black BG002
CPU: Intel i7-4790K Core Prozessor (4.00 GHz, Max. Turbo 4.4 GHz, Sockel 1150, 8M Cache, 88Watt)
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H 1150 Mainboard Sockel (Intel Z97, 4x DDR3 Speicher)
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 950 Xtreme Gaming 2GB GDDR5 1
RAM (4): Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL10 XMP
SSD 1 (OS): Samsung SSD 860 PRO 1TB
SSD 2 : Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250
HDD 1: ST100DM003-1ER162
HDD 2: ST500DM002-1BS142

I first had just 2 RAM sticks, later I buy 2 more and fixed the voltages because it wasn't booting, but problems like the one with Mortal Kombat already existed.

Currently I use two monitors one with HDMI (1980p) and another one with DisplayPort (1440p), but again the problem with MK happened when I just had the HDMI one.

Any pointers on what I have to test or check will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Update:
As update, I let prime95 run for something like an 1.5 hours (and 15 minutes with 2 instances) and my pc did not crash.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Think i personally would rather suspect the gpu. This because lowering settings seem to help.
Would also undo the mix of ram to see if that helps.
But psu might be the problem as well.

Anyone close to you who would swap components with you?

Aug 30, 2020
Think i personally would rather suspect the gpu. This because lowering settings seem to help.
Would also undo the mix of ram to see if that helps.
But psu might be the problem as well.

Anyone close to you who would swap components with you?
Hi! Thank you for your response.

The problem already happened before I bought the extra 2 ram sticks.

I just have one family member that maybe has something to swap, but I have to check.

Aug 30, 2020
So, I lowered the quality of Tom Raiders to be able to play(1920x1080 instead of 2440), and I played a while, like one hour or more while monitoring the GPU status with GPU-Z sensor until it crashed.

The crash was weird, it was like if the Video card was turned off (the monitors when to "No signal" instead of be just white like the other times) but no usual fan speeding sound was there.

I will not say I understand it (because I do not) But looks like before the crash the memory clock, GPU clock VDDC [V] when to the top.

Here is the log https://pastebin.com/nRuDSPGJ

Sadly I was not able to swap the card.