Question PC restarts when gaming ?

Jun 22, 2022
Hello guys, My pc (built in Oct 2022) have been restarting from 20min of playing to restarting after opening the game right away(FF7R, Genshin). My cpu fan would slow down to eventually stop spinning when in game (Valorant). This problem only started in about a month.

Previously I would get BSoD (clock watchdog timeout) once everytime booting the PC. But it didnt happen anymore but now I cant play games.

What could be the cause? I’ve sent my PC to the place I installed the PC and the problem didnt appear when they were testing. They played for straight 5 hours and nothing happened, I played for 2 hours and no issue as well. But when I take it back to my room, the first day it was fine only one restart. The next day I can’t play more than 20 min. I have tried different extensions cord and plugged in directly to the wall and the problem still there. Outside of gaming I can use the PC just swell. Any idea what could be the issue?

my specs are:
Zotac RTX 3060
NZXT C650 gold
Cooler master hyper 212
Windows 10
Intel core i5-11400f
Gigabyte b560m aorus elite motherboard
Kingston fury beast rgb 16gb
Kingston nv1 1tb

Jun 22, 2022
Im so lost at this point, I don’t even know if it was my house power outlet not providing enough power. Im not sure if having 5 people using PC in one house could be an issue

Two most likely reasons are transient power spikes and electricity grid problem. Can't help with latter, you need electrician for that. Former can be solved by changing PSU to better quality or just higher wattage. Also power spikes are more likely to happen at higher resolution and high FPS, so you can try to reduce those and see if it has any effect. Or you could just have faulty GPU, that's always a possibility. I find it little susceptible that shop was unable to recreate the problem if it happens so regularly. But if that's true it would point toward electricity grid problem.

Jun 22, 2022
Two most likely reasons are transient power spikes and electricity grid problem. Can't help with latter, you need electrician for that. Former can be solved by changing PSU to better quality or just higher wattage. Also power spikes are more likely to happen at higher resolution and high FPS, so you can try to reduce those and see if it has any effect. Or you could just have faulty GPU, that's always a possibility. I find it little susceptible that shop was unable to recreate the problem if it happens so regularly. But if that's true it would point toward electricity grid problem.
If its really electric grid issue then why can my friends PC works without issue :/ well i have the best gpu among them if anything.

and if it was PSU, why does the problem doesn’t persist at the shop? I also had this problem that when I turn up to 144hz, my screen will be black making me stuck at 99hz if not 75hz and I don’t get signal when plugged in Display Port into the monitor. None of this problem appeared when I tried my PC and same DP at the shop using their own monitor. My monitor power cable needs a little twiddling to actually works when I plugged it in and it have a little electric noise if thats related.

Monitor is AOC 24G2
23.8” freesync 144hz 1ms IPS

I’m not sure if monitor could cause such problem if someone else knows better. I just really want to know what is the root of the problem

If its really electric grid issue then why can my friends PC works without issue
At the same outlet as you use?
and if it was PSU, why does the problem doesn’t persist at the shop?
Already answered that
I also had this problem that when I turn up to 144hz, my screen will be black making me stuck at 99hz if not 75hz and I don’t get signal when plugged in Display Port into the monitor. None of this problem appeared when I tried my PC and same DP at the shop using their own monitor.
Were they using 144Hz monitor too, at 144 refresh rate? (so we know your cable is actually capable of doing 144)
My monitor power cable needs a little twiddling to actually works when I plugged it in and it have a little electric noise if thats related.
If anything that could affect if monitor works at all, and maaaybe affect other devices plugged at same outlet. But it could not make your monitor not like 144Hz mode.
I’m not sure if monitor could cause such problem if someone else knows better.
Well, monitor can't restart you PC for sure. Unless they are both connected to same outlet and even then you would likely saw some strange effects on your monitor whenever restart happens.

Jun 22, 2022
At the same outlet as you use?
No, but I tried 2 different outlets in my room

Were they using 144Hz monitor too, at 144 refresh rate? (so we know your cable is actually capable of doing 144)
They were using a 240hz monitor and yes my cable capable of doing above 144. No black screen, completely usable on my PC but on their Monitor

I just plugged in the same DP cable onto my current monitor, black screen on 120hz and 144hz, using 100hz rn :/ but hey at least I get signal

I can show you video of the black screen if it somewhat helps. When I first use this PC, it can run 144hz on HDMI. I've been having this problem after 1 month of using the PC, get worse overtime pushing me to use 100hz.

Well, monitor can't restart you PC for sure. Unless they are both connected to same outlet and even then you would likely saw some strange effects on your monitor whenever restart happens.
I don't remember anything weird happened.

By the way, this guy have similar game restart thing to mine, can you take a look View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pchelp/comments/vfy1s6/pc_crashing_help_plzzz/

No, but I tried 2 different outlets in my room
Grid problems can often be very local, like only in your room. Try your PC in other room.
When I first use this PC, it can run 144hz on HDMI. I've been having this problem after 1 month of using the PC, get worse overtime pushing me to use 100hz.
This sounds like your monitor is having a problem then. But again it would have nothing to do with PC restarting.
By the way, this guy have similar game restart thing to mine, can you take a look
He's having restarts even under no load so that's something different.

Jun 22, 2022
Hi just an update, i plugged in my pc at my friend’s house and the problem still persist. Send it to the shop again and luckily this time the problem finally happen to them. Hopefully my warranty can cover everything

Reactions: DRagor