[SOLVED] PC restarts whenever i open a game

Mar 1, 2020
i have an issue happens to me month ago,
my desktop pc restarts whenever i open a game and only when i open anygame but otherwise it doesnt restart
my specs: cpu: i7 4770, ram: 8gb, gpu: gtx 1060 6gb
i need any help plz

Solution
Welcome to the forums.
my thoughts are the GPU is drawing more power than the PSU can provide, voltage drops and the system restarts.
my suggestion is to try a new PSU first, if the same try a new GPU.
do you have access to another computer you could play swapsies? trade out the GPOU PSUfor testing, then if needed the GPU. in 15 minutes you'll know if its the power supply, my thoughts, or the GPU, also a possibility.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums.
my thoughts are the GPU is drawing more power than the PSU can provide, voltage drops and the system restarts.
my suggestion is to try a new PSU first, if the same try a new GPU.
do you have access to another computer you could play swapsies? trade out the GPOU PSUfor testing, then if needed the GPU. in 15 minutes you'll know if its the power supply, my thoughts, or the GPU, also a possibility.

Last edited:
Solution
So this is a prebuilt HP system?

Your power supply looks like this?

414MMGTI6wL._AC_.jpg

That seems it is to low voltage. I recommend this Power Supply Unit (PSU)

https://www.amazon.com/ROSEWILL-Mod...M43ZDNV2GP3&psc=1&refRID=N1AYQHJR0M43ZDNV2GP3

That power supply most likely is the wrong form factor and wouldn't even fit his computer. I would suggest you step back from making recommendations until you learn to have some idea about what it is you are actually doing. These are real people spending real money. Pretty clearly, you don't know what you are doing and you might cause somebody a real problem.

Reactions: Jason H. and Zii
Mar 1, 2020
So this is a prebuilt HP system?

Your power supply looks like this?

414MMGTI6wL._AC_.jpg

also my problem only happens on specific games not all games
i was playing need for speed the run recently and nothing happens
it happens in games such as rise of the tomb raider, as soon as the game launches, before i click start story the pc restarts same as pes 2019 when i click start match pc restarts... im so confused

Mar 1, 2020
Try this:

i tried and nothing changed the same happens, btw when the pc restarts all the fans stop then launch again it's like shutting down then launching right away :( :/

Can you take a picture of the label on the PSU and post it here?

Mar 1, 2020
Can you take a picture of the label on the PSU and post it here?

vhGc60d.jpg

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
that unit is such a generic unit I cannot find any information on it.
it is not a Hewlett Packard product. the "HP Pro" seems only to mislead.

look under the 3.3V you will see 24A far more than on the 12V rail. this is a sure sign of a cheap generic unit. I suggest replacement ASAP.

Feb 26, 2020
I suggest to run HWinfo and check your PSU voltages. To do a stability test and at the same to test the power drawing of the PSU, you can stress the CPU and the GPU at the same time. To stress the cpu there are multiple soft, prime95, aida64, 7zip, and to stress the gpu I recommend Unigine's Heaven demo. Keep an eye on the power drawing and the other eye on the GPU/CPU temps (you can use HWinfo for this aswell). If it crashes as soon as you put on stress CPU and GPU, then it may be what @Illustrious suggest at first.

Mar 1, 2020
I suggest to run HWinfo and check your PSU voltages. To do a stability test and at the same to test the power drawing of the PSU, you can stress the CPU and the GPU at the same time. To stress the cpu there are multiple soft, prime95, aida64, 7zip, and to stress the gpu I recommend Unigine's Heaven demo. Keep an eye on the power drawing and the other eye on the GPU/CPU temps (you can use HWinfo for this aswell). If it crashes as soon as you put on stress CPU and GPU, then it may be what @Illustrious suggest at first.
can you please show me in pics how i use the HWinfo
and i should put stress on cpu and gpu together at the same time or each one by itself ?

Feb 26, 2020
At the same time. You can try CPU first, then GPU, and then both. HWinfo is easy to use. Just run it and click on "Sensors only", and then click on "run". You will see lot of data. You are interested on the data that ends on ºC (temperature) and that ends on V (voltage). You can open 2 hwinfo64 and put them together, one for the CPU tab and the other one for the GPU, so you can check both at the same time. Also, you can check on the mobo tab the 3/5/12 voltages.

Mar 1, 2020
At the same time. You can try CPU first, then GPU, and then both. HWinfo is easy to use. Just run it and click on "Sensors only", and then click on "run". You will see lot of data. You are interested on the data that ends on ºC (temperature) and that ends on V (voltage). You can open 2 hwinfo64 and put them together, one for the CPU tab and the other one for the GPU, so you can check both at the same time. Also, you can check on the mobo tab the 3/5/12 voltages.
well i just ended the test and results as follows:
cpu test with prime95 is done without any problems and cpu temp went to 85% and nothing happens then i stopped the test after 3 or 4 minutes
and for the gpu test i used the heaven benchmark 4.0 as soon as i did a run within 30 or 40 secs before it even starts the pc shutdown and starts by itself :/
so what i get from this, is the gpu is the problem or the psu ?

Mar 1, 2020
85ºC is too high for a CPU. Did you check the GPU temp before the crash? If it was near 70ºC or below then its the PSU.
the cpu temp i copied it from the CPU DTS so i dont know its the wanted one or what
the gpu is 34ºC and the crash happened without the gpu temp even rises, i didnt even got the time to notice any temp growing and it suddenly restarts

Feb 26, 2020
Yeah, I think is the PSU. You would need a bit more of troubleshooting to be 100% sure but that would require to have backup components to test with.
Regards.