News PC Sales Hurt by Chip Deficit: Dell Enjoys Gains, HP Suffers

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Dell actually makes some of the best if not the most innovative gaming laptops sold with the Alienware badge. They really are cutting edge and have been for at least the last 10 years. However, their desktops are a joke. I should know as I own an Aurora R10.

Reactions: LolaGT

Joseph_138

Distinguished
What's not being said, is that a lot of the sales that they are making, are basically video card sales, and not computer sales. People are buying these machines for their video cards, and reselling the rest on ebay. That also hurts new PC sales, when you have people selling basically, brand new machines, that have never been plugged in, for lower prices than Dell and HP, just to get rid of them. If you already have a decent video card, buying one of these prebuilt PC's with the video card missing is something to consider.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Anyone in the know would sing out loudly to stay far away from Dell home PCs in general, and they tanked the Alienware brand for desktop gaming as soon as they acquired it(not that it was super before then).

Not only did they tank the Alienware brand, they also tanked their own XPS brand, because they couldn't continue to sell the formerly, highly upgradeable, XPS, alongside the Alienware. They would be eating into each others sales too much.

Dell actually makes some of the best if not the most innovative gaming laptops sold with the Alienware badge. They really are cutting edge and have been for at least the last 10 years. However, their desktops are a joke. I should know as I own an Aurora R10.

Dell's laptops are awesome, the design and thinness for the money is what drew me to buy an m17r2 a few years ago. It's been an excellent laptop. With a coupon, it was several hundred dollars cheaper than anything else with similar thickness.

Their desktops however, just why? Why would you buy a desktop in the first place?? Desktops go together like legos, you can just build your own for much cheaper. The only reason to buy a gaming desktop today is due to the graphics card shortage.