PC Sales Set to Decline For Years, Analyst Warns

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
This analysis is false.

These analysts don't know a thing. They take numbers from companies like HP, Dell etc for analysis. Thanks to weird pricing, branded computers costs similar or sometimes even more than their laptop equivalent. Basic i5 laptop costs 600$ where I live and if you're going for a PC then you get i3 based PC in same money.

These days people have grown a little intellect and they have started building their own rigs as opposed to buy branded ones and these so called analysts don't count custom built rigs.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
They been saying this for years. And I've been saying this for years, there is no point for most people to upgrade when a low end machine made 6 years ago is still chugging along perfectly fine, especially if you keep the crapware off it (and every program from auto booting).

In fact I don't think my family members would notice if I rebuilt the old computer in the living room, unless I decided to throw in a SSD. Than they might notice due a difference during boot up and thats it.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
They're are absolutely right on that PC (the desktop/laptop class) sales has been in a decline, the statistics and sales report proves that.

What they didn't mention or probably realized is that PCs is simply getting set aside on task that it does best,. productivity and content creation, whereas before it serves a much broader function until the introduction of tablets and smartphones.

The PC is here to stay- even in the extreme case of being a niche product.

G

This from the same company that:

1.) Lost billions in a housing crash/credit freeze that was predicted by several dozen major economists, and,

2.) Just recently got busted for trying to manipulate numbers to cover up losses from number 1.)

Why do we care what liars say?

StormOfRazors

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
The PC is definitely not dying, there are less sales probably due to multiple reasons, only 1 of which is the introduction of tablets/smartphones etc. For example, A PC that was built 6 years ago is still good for most office applications, email and web surfing at decent speeds, and people see no need to upgrade it.

This is in contrast to PC's built before and in the early 2000's, where they would be considered too underpowered and slow to do these functions nowadays and hence require upgrading.

And this isn't even mentioning factors such as the GFC/unemployment that would have impacted sales....

abbadon_34

Distinguished
The PC industry is on the edge of the electronics industry. Tables and suchs are more consumer electronics while PC's are true workhorses. The problems was too many people thought they needed a PC to browse the internet, not they have their simple little tablet and are done. PC's not back to where they were 20 years ago, and true User platform, not for the faint of heart

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... i still gonna have and improve my 8core + 16gig + 2x120 ssd raid0 + 1Tb + 2Tb monster winh 27'' monitor... mobile devices are cool but still... for heavy multitasking and content creation you need to have at least one home workstation/home server like machine...

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
The tablet uses much less energy and is easier to use and more portable. But it's not as productive, hence MS Surface. Surface shows that the PC industry as we know it is under threat.

G

PC industry could have done better to adapt to consumers' interest towards mobility. Here is a list of things that various parties could have achieved together:

(1) Intel should move faster in making lower power CPU. Microsoft should have move faster to creating a new "mobile" mode of Windows in which non-essential background tasks are cut to minimum. The user is able to turn on/off such mode when the need to save power arises.

(2) Microsoft, should have done more to make touch interface easier to use in traditional desktop mode. Create a stylus that works like Galaxy Note 2 S pen, create semi-transparent virtual keyboard that can anchor to various side of the desktop (top,down,left,right,split among 4-corners etc), create virtual mouse pad and mouse buttons on screen, create virtual magnifier that allows user to zoom in selected portion of screen such as a menu, so that it is easier to click on the right menu/button. The list goes on. There are many innovative ideas one can have to make traditional UI more usable in touch based environment. But Microsoft just decides to play the sheep and follow Apple footstep.

(3) Hardware vendor should have implemented more IPS screen, GPS sensor etc into their notebooks so that it looks better and able to do some of the things tablets can normally do. After, the cost of such things are not that high as Google Nexus 7 can do all this within $200.

Having said that, PC being more powerful, will never be as cheap as some of the tablets in the market nowadays. So a certain portion of the market who just want to listen to music or watch video will be lost forever. But then again, maybe some of those people will find the need to buy a PC for other purposes as well.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
"PC Sales Set to Decline For Years, Analyst Warns" --> that's some powerfull crystal ball! Can Mr Reitzes not put it to better use by predicting all future earthquakes, the exact location of levee breaches from hurricanes, lotterry numbers?

"Decline thanks to win8" --> win8 is clearly not helping things....MS is gambling a lot on portable devices/touchscreens, with a significantly risky knock-on effect in the industry surrounding the standard PC.

Tech always advances (doh!) and thus: hardware will always reduce in size, greater functionality will appear in 'lower end' / smaller sized devices, etc., etc., (another doh?)

There will be a commercially very significant number of folk who think they will be happy with tablet devices / ultrabooks, and that's fine for them....we've no problems with that (though this will reduce permanently (or temporarily?) the global 'regular PC pool'). Of course, as we all know and as many of those who don't and ask questions on forums like this, tablets/ultrabooks/laptops/phones always fall very, very short of delivering the functionality/graphic & CPU horsepower, flexibility, economical upgradeability of a 'proper/real' PC. Little Jimmy is going to be very disappointed when he compares the look and playability of his latest blockbuster game on his jack-mini-i-of-all-tab-phone-trades to his friends regular PC/monitor combo.
I think hardware manufacturers and software developers need to work closer together to advertise and push the advantages of the regular PC model. We need more of the old 'killer' titles. This should be very easy to do for gaming, for example, by making sure that video adverts show the clear distinction between different platforms. With this, developers MUST stop simply porting and instead, properly develop for the PC ---> we've covered this many times before but unfortunately, most developers are still only interested in the easy route....they must be aware that 'grown-up' gamers will turn their backs on them and will very likely re-think who they purchase titles from for their future/current young 'uns.
What about about graphic/video editing, audio recording/editing, etc.?
Just my 2 cents.

geost91gr

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
No. You can't blame such a decline at Windows 8. Many people don't even know this thing is out there. I don't think someone will turn to Mac or tablet or anything else just because of Windows 8. Maybe it's the realisation that Facebook, e-mail and web browsing in general can be done with something cheaper and more portable like an Android tablet of netbook (and not an iPad). Maybe the financial state we 're in right now.
But the most probable cause for such a drop is that most people that buy technology already have a PC that is likely way more powerful than any tablet out there.
Truth be told, however, such talk can be good since it has the potntial to lower prices on PCs and their parts.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Lol... the real decline in 'sales' is due to the ever reducing purchasing power in the general population (which is being replaced by automation at an increasing rate - and this won't back down anytime soon).

Mind you, automation as such is not anything bad, and we had the capacity to do this decades ago - but within a monetary system it results in people being unable to get money which was created to be crucial for ones survival (let alone anything else) - even though money is an idiotic notion that stopped representing resources 100 years ago.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Apple to dominate tablet marker until 2016 ?

Samsung, Google and Amazon to have 30-40% market share?

Samsung and amazon use Google's andriod platform. so shouldn't that be Android will have 30-40% market share?

I also think he is underestimating MS's entry into the tablet market.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
No... a Desktop is still, just a desktop. My spanking new i5-3570K is still nothing more than a faster version of my Core2 box it replaced. As proven the "tablet fad" is over.... its not a fad.

Todays $400~500 tablets are more powerful than the PCs from 2002/03 era... with more features.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Well Investment banker analysts don't recognize the importance of social opinion, and only worry about how their so called opinion could generate their company more money through stock and bond sales.

monsta

Splendid
The all in one , touch screen pc's are now the thing , and they are selling at an affordable price. this is the present and the future. I believe there are many people like myself that like to work at their desk, with a large screen to multitask and to have larger imagery. I don't see people in the design industry doing their work from a 10 inch tablet, there will always be a place for the pc.
I don't see gamers ditching Crysis or BF to play Angry Birds on a tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.