[SOLVED] PC screen randomly goes black rx 6700 xt ( not in games )

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 15, 2022
Hello. I've built a new pc no more than 2 months ago, and now getting some issues. Occasionally, once a day/few days, everything on both my computer screens will freeze, and soon after the screen will turn black. This happeons outside of games, usually when im browsing ( i can play rdr2 for several hours, then quit, and will get a freeze 30 mins browsing youtube ). Also, I have noticed that the last time it happened, my computer audio was still playing just fine, and I could even shut down pc with the keyboard.

In reliability monitor I get LiveKernelEvent 141 and LiveKernelEvent 1a1. Google did not really help in understanding what those codes are relaying to. C/windows/minidump does not exist, so there are no dump files created when the issue happens.
Specs:
i512400f, Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 16GB 5200MHz CL40 , msi z690 pro wifi, rx6700 xt,750W Seasonic FOCUS-GX-750 80, SAMSUNG SSD 870 EVO 1TB

I'm trying to pinpoint if the issue is in the mobo/psu/gpu.

What I have done:
I have done the memory test with win mem diagnostics, the Ram seems to be fine.
I have run gpu benchmarks in furmark, 3dmark, unigine heaven benchmark. All benchmarks completed without freeze/blackscreen. This is odd, as I was sure its the gpu.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the gpu driver several times, even updated it to the most recent one on amd website.

gpu-z.png

I cant deicide if its the mobo/psu or the gpu and I have no idea how to determine. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S
In event viewer, at the time of the black screen. I have 3 events around that time. First two are warnings that display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered. And the next one was an error, The program explorer.exe version 10.0.19041.1706 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel. So did the driver failure cause the windows to hang?

win.png

Edit: I checked the livekernel .dmp files. Most of them contain :

VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (117)
The display driver failed to respond in timely fashion.
(This code can never be used for a real BugCheck.)
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffb505e0a5b040, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff80232a617a0, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag).
Arg3: 0000000000000000, The secondary driver specific bucketing key.
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Optional internal context dependent data.

Debugging Details:
------------------

Unable to load image amdkmdag.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for amdkmdag.sys

Last edited:
Solution
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the gpu driver several times, even updated it to the most recent one on amd website.

Did you use DDU or Windows Remove Programs?

I cant deicide if its the mobo/psu or the gpu and I have no idea how to determine. Any help would be appreciated.

If you can boot to OS, it is not MoBo. And if you do not experience sudden restarts or shut downs, it isn't PSU either.

I have run gpu benchmarks in furmark, 3dmark, unigine heaven benchmark. All benchmarks completed without freeze/blackscreen. This is odd, as I was sure its the gpu.
First two are warnings that display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered. And the next one was an error, The program...

shasoosh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
Hi.
I sent my card to warranty, and they said it was faulty. I've decided not to trust amd, and so had it replaced with a 3070. No issues for 4 months so far.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out the exact same issue. Same black screen, same event viewer errors. The only (very strange) difference, is that after a black screen, you can no longer boot into windows.
After restarting you'll see the Gigabyte logo and a black screen. Fixing it involves starting the PC in safe mode and reinstalling the AMD drivers.

shasoosh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
I'm already after all the testing to be honest. I'll try another few installs of different AMD versions and will try a different GPU before RMA the AMD one.

I'm still baffled though. Why the OS isn't booting after I restart the machine and requires a new driver install?
The Gigabyte logo is shown so the card is ok .
The driver wasn't able to recover but how come a restart doesn't solve it?
SSD doesn't have any bad sectors..

It's like the black screen forces the GPU into some weird state it can't recover from but only in Windows. Bios etc' is fine..

It's all very weird.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It's like the black screen forces the GPU into some weird state it can't recover from but only in Windows. Bios etc' is fine..

If you were to uninstall GPU drivers with DDU, would your GPU show image on Windows?

Now, all GPUs work with Windows display drivers, hence why you can see BIOS and Windows, once you 1st install the GPU. But to use GPU fully, you need dedicated drivers.

It's like when you buy mechanical KB or gamer mouse, that has control software (e.g Corsair iCUE with Corsair peripherals). Does the KB/mouse still work without dedicated software? Yes. But to use the said peripherals at their full extent, you need the dedicated software/drivers.

What could be issue with your GPU, is that it's on-board driver chip has a fault, hence why GPU works on BIOS and on boot up, but once drivers are loaded, it won't work anymore. Due to that, i also think your GPU works when you uninstall drivers with DDU and use Windows built-in display drivers.

--

This is where i end my help to you, since you're essentially hijacking someone else's topic. If you want more help, make your own topic.