Question PC showing red cpu led and fans speed up after a bit

umairyousif239

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
Hi,

I was using my pc and it froze, so i restarted it but after restarting the pc didnt turn on, it showed red light on cpu led and the fan sped up.

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more info.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How old is your PSU? What was the last thing you were doing on your PC before the issue cropped up?

umairyousif239

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
We're going to need more info.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How old is your PSU? What was the last thing you were doing on your PC before the issue cropped up?
Its an office pc, so i'll drop as much info as i can
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500
Motherboard: some intel one
Ram: 4GB
SSD/HDD: 500GB
PSU: also a pre included one

I was playing a game and it just froze up

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...d-and-fans-speed-up-after-a-bit.3482066/reply

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
Can the CPU-Z app tell us the exact motherboard? We might be able to find the manual online.

I’m guessing the red light indicates either overheating or a power failure to the CPU, at any rate.

If it now won't even POST, probably liittle worry about overheating, but, for sure thermal paste on a heatsink does not last forever. You can try a new BIOS battery for $3, perhaps slave in a known good PSU to rule that out, test with one stick of RAM alternately, eventually leaving you only with the mainboard (once you remove/disconnect everything else ruling out other potential causes. (a mainboard failure is 10-20x more likely than an actual 'out of the blue' true hard cpu failure...

umairyousif239

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
If it now won't even POST, probably liittle worry about overheating, but, for sure thermal paste on a heatsink does not last forever. You can try a new BIOS battery for $3, perhaps slave in a known good PSU to rule that out, test with one stick of RAM alternately, eventually leaving you only with the mainboard (once you remove/disconnect everything else ruling out other potential causes. (a mainboard failure is 10-20x more likely than an actual 'out of the blue' true hard cpu failure...
Ok so i removed one ram stick and it started working, guess that stick causing all the trouble