Question PC shut down concern

geekfather

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
I have noticed all last week my case fans running up to high speed and then back down to quiet. This happens when I am usually gaming. Monitoring my CPU temp (at the time) it was getting to 165 degrees F and then back down to 159 and then repeat. Yesterday I blew out all the dust and did a thorough cleaning and while raiding in WOW it was doing fine. After our raid, I jumped over to hardcore WOW and the fan pulsing started happening again and maybe 2 minutes later I heard a beep and the PC turned off. I thought that maybe we had power flux none of the appliance clocks were blinking. Pushed the button and nothing happened. After approximately 4-5 minutes I pushed the power button and it came back to life.

Looking at my cooling this morning everything seems to be okay. CPU @104F and GPU @111F. Verified all case fans are running. I did kick my fans from silent to gaming so they are more evident now. Correct me if I am wrong but if it was the GPU I would suspect graphics tearing and/or shuddering. Which I had none.

The system is approximately 2 years old with the video card being replaced 1 year ago. It is all in a full tower Antec case (so lots of room for airflow). I will keep an eye on it today however in the event it does happen again, with no turn on, what can I look for to try and isolate the issue?

Thank you for any help.

CPU: Ryzen 5900
MB: MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Power Supply: EVGA 1300 supernova
GPU: Nvidia MSI GTX3080
Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB

D

Deleted member 2964455

Sounds to me as if your CPU overheated. AMD chips get warmer than Intel CPU's in general. I've read that especially this CPU can get quite warm.

Back in the day turning iCue off resulted on lower temperatures for many. Maybe this can help you determine whether it's indeed the CPU temperature.

Did you hear only one beep, was it a combination of longer/shorter beeps?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Sounds to me as if your CPU overheated. AMD chips get warmer than Intel CPU's in general. I've read that especially this CPU can get quite warm.

Back in the day turning iCue off resulted on lower temperatures for many. Maybe this can help you determine whether it's indeed the CPU temperature.

Did you hear only one beep, was it a combination of longer/shorter beeps?
I don't agree with this at all. I have a 5900X and a 3080 and both run nice and cool. Intel is the one with hot running CPU's. The temps the OP reported are perfectly normal under load.

geekfather

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
So far today all is good. Is jumping to a liquid cooler improve cooling major over a fan? I am going to clean and renew the CPU thermal paste this next weekend to see if that helps.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
How high is your CPU boosting? I run a 360mm AIO and mine regularly boosts to 4.95GHz. It is advertised to boost to 4.8GHz. I believe the 5900X is designed to boost until it runs out of thermal headroom but they can only go so high regardless. Your temps are actually a bit lower than mine so I don't think your cooling is an issue. I just looked at Afterburner and my highest peak temp for CPU is 168F. 75C since everybody in the PC world seems to prefer C to F.

geekfather

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
How high is your CPU boosting? I run a 360mm AIO and mine regularly boosts to 4.95GHz. It is advertised to boost to 4.8GHz. I believe the 5900X is designed to boost until it runs out of thermal headroom but they can only go so high regardless. Your temps are actually a bit lower than mine so I don't think your cooling is an issue. I just looked at Afterburner and my highest peak temp for CPU is 168F. 75C since everybody in the PC world seems to prefer C to F.
I run my CPU at 10% over-boost - so very mild. So I think it is either my PSU or my surge protector. It shut down again last night and CPU temp was 128 F. So not a cooling issue I feel. Switching the power supply off and on did nothing however turning the surge protector off and then on and it restarted. I wish I had checked everything that was plugged into the surge protector to further isolate the issue. Grabbed a new surge protector today - one thing I did smell was an electrical burning type of smell near the PSU - maybe they all smell like this? Been running fine again this morning.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Your current specs are enough to play anything. I don't plan on upgrading until something malfunctions. At the rate CPU's and GPU's are being improved it is pointless to try to have the best. Both gaming PC's I have built were at least one generation behind after only 1 year.