PC shut off followed by a burning smell, now I can't boot up using my GPU

Sep 3, 2018
So I was gaming as usual, and sudddenly my PC turned off, turned on for a split second, and off again. After I took off the side pannel I smelled a burning smell, I'm pretty sure it came from the GPU. Now when I try turning it on using my GPU it turns on for a split second and off again. If I plug the HDMI in the motherboard the screen flickers and there are green artifacts all over but it boots up just fine.

Video of booting PC up using motherboard HDMI port: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdYBoJRivqs

PC is about 3 years old now, installed the system in a new case a month ago.

Specs:
Intel Core i5-4690k 4.2ghz OC with NZXT Kraken X31 watercooler
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+
Asus Z87-Expert
16GB ram 2400Mhz
WD blue 1TB
Corsair RM750x

I'm pretty sure my GPU is dead, but I don't understand why it's displaying artifacts when using the motherboard HDMI port. Please help.

the evga cards have known bad cooling and knon bad vrm there videos of those gpu going up in flames on youtube. pull your gpu see if the video on the mb still bad. if it is the gpu/mb and power supply may have been back feed from the failing gpu. if that happened contact evga customer relations and have them pay you for a new system .

Sep 3, 2018

Sorry I forgot to mention I already took out the GPU when testing the mb video.

Sep 3, 2018

I tested the monitor on my laptop and it's working fine.
I don't have another PSU so that won't be possible atm.

Sep 3, 2018

Ok, so I found out the cause of the monitor flickering/artifacts using the MB video and the system not booting up using the GPU was the HDMI cable it works fine with another one I have. Except the GPU wasn't putting out any signal when using it and the lights and fans were off. I also tried using a different PCIe slot but the same thing happened.