Question PC shutdown + fans going crazy + no temp problems

Jun 2, 2023
Can someone help me. I've been looking forward to this Diablo IV release for so long, and not being able to play it [bad]
Whenever I play for a short duration my screen turns black (I assume it shuts down) but I hear some of my fans just go crazy. I can still hear the pc working, but nothing happens. The lights on my fans and stuff also flickers.

What I've tried so far:
- Cleaning the parts (I did a light cleaning of the PC a few months ago, so I highly doubt this is it. The temps are also not high when it crashes)
- Driver roll-back
- Pulling GPU PCI cables out, cleaning them, and putting them back in.
- Turning graphics all the way down.
- Reinstalled windows
- Reinstalled graphics driver with DDU
- Updated BIOS with ASUS AI Suite
- Unplugging the second monitor
- Unplugging GPU, removing dust with compressed air, plugged back in
- Unplugging RAM and plugged back in

My specs:
- Asus X570-TUF Plus Gaming
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU
- Corsair H100I Platinum RGB 240mm Water cooling
- DDR4-3600 Corsair 16GB RGB PRO Vengeance 2x
- Intel 665P 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD (C drive)
- Asus GeForce® RTX 3080 10GB TUF
- Corsair iCUE 465X RGB VG-Edition
- Corsair RM750 750W 80+ Gold (Modular)
- Intel 665P 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD (D drive)

I also took this picture RIGHT before a shutdown, with both CPU and GPU temp and some additional (maybe useless?) information.

Video of the shutdown with the sound of the fans speeding up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

Black screen + fan revv appears to be a response of the gpu voltage regulator crying home to momma.

What you can try to see if the issue can be reproduced:
-lower the gpu's power limit, at 90%, 80%, 70%, etc. Shouldn't matter which app(Afterburner, Gpu Tweak, etc) you run to do this.
-limit the framerate. Turning graphics all the way down may not do that much, as high/very high framerate can still yield high gpu current draw.
^Those cost nothing to try. The following one, though:
-get a larger psu of the same model, such as the RM1000, for example. Or maybe you have a buddy with a beefier unit - try the gpu in their PC.

Jun 2, 2023

Black screen + fan revv appears to be a response of the gpu voltage regulator crying home to momma.

-lower the gpu's power limit, at 90%, 80%, 70%, etc. Shouldn't matter which app(Afterburner, Gpu Tweak, etc) you run to do this.
-limit the framerate. Turning graphics all the way down may not do that much, as high/very high framerate can still yield high gpu current draw.
-get a larger psu of the same model, such as the RM1000, for example. Or maybe you have a buddy with a beefier unit - try the gpu in their PC.
Thank you. Currently in the process of thesting that

https://linustechtips.com/topic/151...emp-problems/?do=findComment&comment=15968463

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
Same problem here.
And I've started seeing more and more of this black screen complaints.

Jun 2, 2023
Same problem here.
And I've started seeing more and more of this black screen complaints.

I have found a solution on the LTT forums, but forgot to mark this as solved. My GPU was using more power than it was supposed to. The solution was limit the GPU power draw to 75%, until I get a new PSU with at least 1kW

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
I have found a solution on the LTT forums, but forgot to mark this as solved. My GPU was using more power than it was supposed to. The solution was limit the GPU power draw to 75%, until I get a new PSU with at least 1kW
Well unless my PSU is dying I don't see how this can be a problem because I've used this GPU and PSU for almost 4.5 years together until recently this issue started coming up.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Well unless my PSU is dying I don't see how this can be a problem because I've used this GPU and PSU for almost 4.5 years together until recently this issue started coming up.
Also test/check CPU temps just to make sure it's not adding to the problem due to overheating.

But does sound like it could be Power to me a well
other things to try are set ram speed 3200mhz 1.35-.138v

just to test before you replace your PSU

sometimes you don't know until you just try and even if it doesn't help it's another thing you know 100% is not the problem and can cross off the list.

D

Deleted member 2947362

That guy is brilliant love his video's sense of humour and the things he does.

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
Also test/check CPU temps just to make sure it's not adding to the problem due to overheating.

But does sound like it could be Power to me a well
other things to try are set ram speed 3200mhz 1.35-.138v

just to test before you replace your PSU

sometimes you don't know until you just try and even if it doesn't help it's another thing you know 100% is not the problem and can cross off the list.
I've checked the temps. My case airflow is terrible so I mostly use it with side panel open and just in case I have an external fan blowing air to see if it makes a difference. My temps are pretty normal. GPU doesn't go past 70 and cpu rarely above 50. I was playing warframe so it isn't an extremely demanding game but GPU usage hits 99%.
And the thing is, this black screen crash sometimes happens when the pc is idling, so even if it may have something to do with psu, highly doubt it is power consumption(unless there is a problem with the gpu which causes it to draw in excessive power even when idling). I'm trying to eleminate all options but can it have something to do with power cables(from PSU to GPU) or a problem with the dvi port on the gpu side?

D

Deleted member 2947362

I've checked the temps. My case airflow is terrible so I mostly use it with side panel open and just in case I have an external fan blowing air to see if it makes a difference. My temps are pretty normal. GPU doesn't go past 70 and cpu rarely above 50. I was playing warframe so it isn't an extremely demanding game but GPU usage hits 99%.
And the thing is, this black screen crash sometimes happens when the pc is idling, so even if it may have something to do with psu, highly doubt it is power consumption(unless there is a problem with the gpu which causes it to draw in excessive power even when idling). I'm trying to eleminate all options but can it have something to do with power cables(from PSU to GPU) or a problem with the dvi port on the gpu side?
go in the BIOS and disable everything to do with PBO and let know what temps are please?

D

Deleted member 2947362

It could be your CPU is rated for 170W im not sure how much more wattage that may pull from in the power supply if is not a really ya know goood one.
just wanted to cross that off the list

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
It could be your CPU is rated for 170W im not sure how much more wattage that may pull from in the power supply if is not a really ya know goood one.
just wanted to cross that off the list

I highly suspect the PSU.

I have MSI afterburner on and I have power limit set to 115% on it.
MY gpu was drawing in 196W when it was maxing out.

I also came across these two threads :
This was suggests it was a faulty Pcie cable and swapping them solved the issue.

This one suggests a ton of things but there is no follow up.

D

Deleted member 2947362

I have MSI afterburner on and I have power limit set to 115% on it.
MY gpu was drawing in 196W when it was maxing out.

I also came across these two threads :
This was suggests it was a faulty Pcie cable and swapping them solved the issue.

This one suggests a ton of things but there is no follow up.
without knowing the what type of quality built PSU is using I can't really make a call.

if the PC is just sitting there doing nothing and it resets

It could be mains power issue
if they using an UPS it be the UPS not good enough
It could be a if'y PSU
Or even a Malware on the extreme side of things.

also it could a driver or possible kernel problem but I would of thought that would get logged?

Last edited by a moderator:

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
without knowing the what type of quality built PSU is using I can't really make a call.

if the PC is just sitting there doing nothing and it resets

It could be mains power issue
if they using an UPS it be the UPS not good enough
It could be a if'y PSU
Or even a Malware on the extreme side of things.

also it could a driver or possible kernel problem but I would of thought that would get logged?
Are you speaking in general or specifically about me?
I'm using a UPS. How would that cause my black screen error ?

Jun 2, 2023
I am 99% sure it's your PSU. Try limiting your GPU power to 75%

D

Deleted member 2947362

Are you speaking in general or specifically about me?
I'm using a UPS. How would that cause my black screen error ?
you would need to check your UPS max load\AMP's output to see if it can handle the draw of your PC, if it can't it will just shut it's self down because it's getting overloaded/AMP's like some kind of trip switch, the UPS I had couldn't take the load from my PC, turned out I didn't need an UPS anyway.

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
I am 99% sure it's your PSU. Try limiting your GPU power to 75%
I changed the PCIE cable of my GPU with a brand new one, used displayport cable to plug the monitor in, and set my GPU power to 114%(was at 119% before) and voltage to 85%(was at 99% before) and haven't had a crash since yesterday and I've been using the PC almost nonstop.

Just curious, how long does a decent PSU supposed to last? Bought mine in Jan 2017, meaning it is 6.5 years old.

Jun 2, 2023
I changed the PCIE cable of my GPU with a brand new one, used displayport cable to plug the monitor in, and set my GPU power to 114%(was at 119% before) and voltage to 85%(was at 99% before) and haven't had a crash since yesterday and I've been using the PC almost nonstop.

Just curious, how long does a decent PSU supposed to last? Bought mine in Jan 2017, meaning it is 6.5 years old.
What games have you had the crash in? Because I ONLY experienced it in Diablo IV, so I think there might be something badly optimized that causes the GPU to overdraw power

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
What games have you had the crash in? Because I ONLY experienced it in Diablo IV, so I think there might be something badly optimized that causes the GPU to overdraw power
In my case it was literally every game. Played Diablo 4, Battlefield 2042, Warframe, Elden ring and all of them crashed, some more frequently than others.
The odd thing is though, my PC crashed when it was idling as well. That's why I thought it may have had something to do with wires, corrupted drivers or incompatible hardware rather than just PSU.