Question Pc shutdown while gaming, now it doesn’t boot or post

nymphquake

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
I was playing battlefield 1 multiplayer, like any other day, pc shutdown suddenly and now I even tried the screwdriver method instead of regular power button but only the cpu fan works for a split second and then it shuts off. Can’t even do it again until a minute passes and I switch the psu on and off, it seems.

system specs:
Amd sapphire r9 390
i7 2600k
Msi p67a gd65(b3)
4x2 dual channel corsair 1866mhz ram

I disconnected everything and ran it expect cpu, only 1 ram and it did the same thing. At this point I really wonder if its the psu or the mobo and why did that happen. I cleared the cmos by the way.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psu is tripping protective circuitry, that's why nothing happens except after turning off/on. Soon as you go to boot, it trips and will stay like that until you turn off psu power/unplug.

Could be the psu, or could be as simple as a bad USB or keyboard wire shorting out. Only way to figure out what is breadboarding the pc and add 1 component at a time until it doesn't work, or swapping out the psu and hoping it does work.

nymphquake

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Psu is tripping protective circuitry, that's why nothing happens except after turning off/on. Soon as you go to boot, it trips and will stay like that until you turn off psu power/unplug.

Could be the psu, or could be as simple as a bad USB or keyboard wire shorting out. Only way to figure out what is breadboarding the pc and add 1 component at a time until it doesn't work, or swapping out the psu and hoping it does work.

I can’t even get it to POST man idk what you mean. Cpu fan spins once and thats it.

nymphquake

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Still wondering what power supply, but that is the highest likely thing to be causing the problem, so I would suggest you replace the power supply first (locally if possible, in the chance that it's something else).

Dude, its 600w something cooler master. But idk you might be right or its the mobo.

nymphquake

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Well, would be disappointed if that caused your problem but still think it's a good thing to rule out.

Well I have found out another thing. When I press power button cpu fan spins for a sec then if I press the button again nothing ever happens doesnt matter how many times I press it. However when I switch the psu off and then on again, I can see that cpu fan can spin again when I press the power button on the mobo. Now which one is it, psu or mobo??

Well, the power requirements for the video card alone are between 600 and 700 watts, depending on who you ask:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/sapphire-nitro-r9-390.b3357
So I would start with a better power supply, at least 800 watts. Even if your problem is the mobo, let's say, at least you will have a strong enough power supply for your video card in whatever new motherboard you choose (and unless you have left something out, I see no reason at this point to say the motherboard is at fault).

nymphquake

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Well, the power requirements for the video card alone are between 600 and 700 watts, depending on who you ask:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/sapphire-nitro-r9-390.b3357
So I would start with a better power supply, at least 800 watts. Even if your problem is the mobo, let's say, at least you will have a strong enough power supply for your video card in whatever new motherboard you choose (and unless you have left something out, I see no reason at this point to say the motherboard is at fault).

Even my last reply doesnt sound like its mobo? Ok thank you man I appreciate your help. I’ll look for a better psu.