Question PC Shutoff/restarted itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
today i loaded up Shadow Warrior 2 changed some graphic settings then when i got to a loading screen my System Randomly Shutoff/Restarted Itself. here are my specs.

i9-10900k 5.0ghz OC
MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk
EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
16GB Corsair Vengeance (3000mhz)
Corsair RM850x PSU << Im thinking might be the issue i dont know.
Corsair 220T RGB Case.

I have 2 PCI Power Cables going to my GPU. i even Undervolted my GPU Recently and today i got this issue where my System Rebooted itself. a couple days ago browing around on Youtube my System Shutoff/Rebooted itself. Whats weird is i ran Cinebench once that was complete i ran 3DMark and it was fine no Reboots or anything. The issue happens very randomly im not sure what it could be at this point. Its like i can do a day or two playing some games just fine. then some other day i load up a game or watch a bunch of videos on Youtube and boom Shutoff again. Its very imminent and random.

Hey there,

Corsair RM850x PSU << Im thinking might be the issue i dont know

Yes, you are on the right track. At least that's typically what happens with PSU related problems at the start. Have you another you could swap out? It's possibly because if the RTX. RTX series cards have problems with some even really good PSU's. Mostly it's down to the cards super fast switching of clockspeed, and power draw, which can cause the PSU's over protections to kick in. But, your PSU is a really good one. How old is it? Is this the first time it's happened.

Cinebench isn't going to push your PSU to max usage or close, but with the GPU it would be more so. 3dMark isn't gonna really push the GPU too much, whereas a game might do so. Shadow Warrior 2 isn't the most demanding game either, so it's a bit of a head scratcher.

If you don't have a second unit at hand, the quickest way to solve the issue would be to bring to local repair store, pay them €£$20 or so to swap it out with something decent and test your system.

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
Hey there,

Yes, you are on the right track. At least that's typically what happens with PSU related problems at the start. Have you another you could swap out? It's possibly because if the RTX. RTX series cards have problems with some even really good PSU's. Mostly it's down to the cards super fast switching of clockspeed, and power draw, which can cause the PSU's over protections to kick in. But, your PSU is a really good one. How old is it? Is this the first time it's happened.

Cinebench isn't going to push your PSU to max usage or close, but with the GPU it would be more so. 3dMark isn't gonna really push the GPU too much, whereas a game might do so. Shadow Warrior 2 isn't the most demanding game either, so it's a bit of a head scratcher.

If you don't have a second unit at hand, the quickest way to solve the issue would be to bring to local repair store, pay them €£$20 or so to swap it out with something decent and test your system.

Im planning on buying a Seasonic GX Gold 1000W PSU when i get paid. Fingers Crossed that should fix my issue lol.

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
Maybe yes, maybe no. You never know with Seasonic. Better stick with Corsair and purchase a RM1000x.
But I don't think it's a PSU issue. have you tested without OC the CPU?
Motherboard BIOS up to date?

To be honest im leaning towards it being a Power Delivery issue i heard corsair RM Units are good in America but arnt as good in the UK im not sure if thats true. but ive heard Seasonic make really good Power Supplys so im just gonna buy 1000w Seasonic GX Unit and see how that goes. BUT what i did today is completely reseated all the cables on my PSU and made sure nothing was slightly unplugged. Im not guaranteeing thats the cause but either way im swapping out the PSU as soon as possible and will note if any issues arise. my CPU OC is stable i havent noticed any issues or Instability. I just let the Motherboard Auto Adjust Voltages etc its 5.00ghz all core. I dont have any program crashes or anything most of the system is stable. its only randomely sometimes the System just switches off and reboots itself. One time it was when i clicked on a Youtube video. the other time was on the loading screen on Shadow Warrior 2.

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
Who told you that? If there is a brand that has issues with the latest videocards, it's Seasonic. The best Seasonic is not sold as the brand Seasonic but it's the EVGA Supernova G6.

Seasonic has a good reputation for having good PSU,s. Corsair Units are obviously problematic. RM850x isnt good enough for my i9-10900k and RTX 3080. Due to the fact the RM850x triggers its OCP when i play games with my 3080. this GPU has been a headache and its caused by the Transient Power Spikes.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
Restarting itself is impossible when OCP is triggered.

im gonna try the 1000w PSU anyway if its not that then i dont know after that im getting frustrated with it. I already spent the day doing the Memtest86 on my Ram and came back with Zero Errors. i reset my Bios to defaults i just dont know what else the problem is. I already reconnected all my PSU Cables and it still shutoff and turned itself back on during gaming. It definitely sounds like a Power issue. I only had my Corsair RM850x for 2 months.
I did a test a few days ago for my HDD for Bad Blocks all came back fine. I looked over my Motherboard and checked all the screws i checked the VRMS and Capacitors etc and all looks fine there in fact i only changed my motherboard a few weeks ago so i know thats not the issue.. So once i try out this new 1000w PSU and IF it still Reboots it leaves me with the GPU being faulty.

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
Check your Bios setting for automatically restarting on failure and disable it then you may see a blue screen that will indicate what the problem is. PSU problem and it will just shut off.

I checked the power management settings in my MSI Bios and its all on "Disabled" by default nothing mentioning automatic restart. Should i try turning off Automatic Restart in Startup and Recovery Section in Windows 10?

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
Hey there,

Hello again. i got my Seasonic GX-1000w installed today but guess what. after 30 minutes of gameplay my PC Shutoff and Restarted itself again. :( im getting very frustrated i dont know what the problem is.

Hello again. i got my Seasonic GX-1000w installed today but guess what. after 30 minutes of gameplay my PC Shutoff and Restarted itself again. :( im getting very frustrated i dont know what the problem is.

Oh, no, that's a pity.

Have you tried different cabling on the PSU. Is there any damage to the power socket on the mobo (maybe loose). It could be the mobo,

Have you tried under clocking the GPU to see if that helps?

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
Oh, no, that's a pity.

Have you tried different cabling on the PSU. Is there any damage to the power socket on the mobo (maybe loose). It could be the mobo,

Have you tried under clocking the GPU to see if that helps?

One thing ive tried so far is resetting the bios to defaults because my CPU was Overclocked and my Ram had XMP Enabled. I managed to play a few hours last night after i did that im still yet to confirm if thats what caused it. Someone here yesterday suggested i reset the bios to defaults so nothings overclocked. Ill see how it goes today. Im thinking because this a brand new PSU and its a really good quality one too my last one was RM850x. So theres definetely something else going on. when i got this motherboard installed a month ago i didnt reinstall windows 10. so last night i did a complete reinstall so now i have a clean copy of windows and bios defaults to see if thats fixes the problem.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
One thing ive tried so far is resetting the bios to defaults because my CPU was Overclocked and my Ram had XMP Enabled. I managed to play a few hours last night after i did that im still yet to confirm if thats what caused it. Someone here yesterday suggested i reset the bios to defaults so nothings overclocked. Ill see how it goes today. Im thinking because this a brand new PSU and its a really good quality one too my last one was RM850x. So theres definetely something else going on. when i got this motherboard installed a month ago i didnt reinstall windows 10. so last night i did a complete reinstall so now i have a clean copy of windows and bios defaults to see if thats fixes the problem.

Yes. You've done some good stuff there. OC if unstable, can certainly cause such issues. Hopefully between that and resetting bios, you should be good to go. Let us know how you get on.

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
Again: RM850x is better.

Motherboard BIOS is fully up to date?

RM850x isnt better than the Seasonic GX 1000w. Seasonic Units are Higher Quality than anything from Corsair. In fact Corsair PSU,s are Basically Seasonic with Corsairs Own Branding on it. Corsair units arnt that high quality as people say.

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
Yes. You've done some good stuff there. OC if unstable, can certainly cause such issues. Hopefully between that and resetting bios, you should be good to go. Let us know how you get on.

I played a few hours today even with my new PSU installed aswell and hasnt rebooted. in this case i think it was either the CPU OC or the XMP Profile on the Ram. Ill leave it all on default for now to test some more then ill try just enabling XMP Profile while leaving the CPU alone and try and find out if thats the issue or not. I also Installed the latest Bios for my motherboard.

Last edited:

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
My gush, here we go again.

What specific Corsair PSUs are made by Seasonic?

Companies do it all the time. You got Seasonic and Super Flower that make units especially for different like brands like EVGA Supernova etc. For corsair The HX650v2 and AX760/860 are internally Seasonic aswell i think the VX550 was also made by Seasonic. Seasonic is basically their OEM and they rebrand it. The issue is and don't get me wrong the RM850x is a very good Power Supply but most reviews for it and people recommending the RM850x or higher are mostly from America etc. im from the UK and ive had a fair share of people telling me their own experiences that some Corsair Units in the UK are Duff or Dead of arrival etc failing to deliver power to the 12v Rail. basically. So i decided to go buy an even bigger PSU and decided to go with Seasonic just for a peace of mind and with how good their PSU,s are and their Reputation and excellent 10 Year Warranty that comes with it. and knowing i can fit even an RTX 3090 or newer GPU in the near future maybe or if i wanted to add more parts to my system the 1000w has plenty headroom to spare and is good for my needs.

The HX650v2 and AX760/860 are internally Seasonic aswell i think the VX550
Old stuff.
Seasonic is basically their OEM and they rebrand it.
It's one of their OEMs and only for current AX. HEC, CWT, Great Wall and Flextronics are also their OEMs and Chicony was.
im from the UK and ive had a fair share of people telling me their own experiences that some Corsair Units in the UK are Duff or Dead of arrival etc failing to deliver power to the 12v Rail.
Can @jonnyguru confirm this?

Last edited:

ohgoditschris1

Prominent
Sep 4, 2021
look im not here to have debates with people on the internet about Power Supplies i posted here because i had an issue and thought it was GPU or Power Related i got rid of the RM850x because i believed there was something wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.