Question PC shuts down completely, can't figure out why ?

Jul 16, 2022
I have done a lot of troubleshooting for this issue as it seems to be an issue people have had on the forums. It just drops power and then automatically powers back on.

I have been having the issue quite awhile and it usually happens while I am playing a game, however sometimes it happens without playing a game, but very rare. When playing games it doesn't seem to matter what kind of game it is. It can be really intensive graphically or something as low poly as oldschool runescape. What I am saying is that it happens about the same amount no matter what kind of game I play.

I have been pulling my hair out over this and after doing everything that I can even think to do I am humbly asking for any kind of help. I will list what I have done at the end.

I don't see an option to post HWMonitor logs, So I will list out what I have.

Mobo: ASUS Prime B360M-A
CPU: i7-8700
RAM: 32gb 4x8gb Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3000C15
PSU: Corsair RMX Series RM1000x Gold
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (The MSI Duke one specifically)
Boot Drive : Samsung SDD 970 EVO Plus 2TB

I have had this machine for over 5 years. I didn't have a lot of money when building it and I don't have a lot of money now, so I am really concerned with this issue.

What I have done:
  • Checked Temps with multiple digital tools from HWMonitor to NZXT CAM and the temps for gpu and cpu fall into standard and don't get to max.
  • Bought a brand new PSU going from 650W to now 1000W as I thought it may have been failing because temps were not the issue.
  • Cleaned AIO cooler radiator. Made the system run a few degrees cooler, but did not solve the issue.
  • Updated all Drivers.
  • Updated the BIOS
  • Took out and reset both RAM and GPU.
  • Removed CMOS battery while system was unplugged. (saw it on these forums that it helped some people but not me)
  • Did a memtest on the RAM overnight and the RAM passed the test.
  • Did a full system restore for the OS.
  • Tried plugging into another surge protector in another wall socket.
  • Checked the motherboard for any damage or burst capacitors.

I am unsure what else I can do. I ordered some thermal paste so I can reseat the cpu and change the thermal paste, though I am not sure that will do anything. I am all ears to any kind of advice.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even and informational event that occurs just before or at the time of the power losses.

Reliability History is easier to use and understand so start there.

(Event Viewer is more difficult to navigate and understand but there is no need to rush through it. A bit of time and effort will be necessary to just get oriented to layout and the information being presented.)

FYI:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-event-viewer-windows-10

Reliabilty History's time line format can be very revealing with respect to errors or patterns of errors.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Jul 16, 2022
I had no idea those services existed. I actually googled if windows 10 logged errors anywhere and no one mentioned those. Looking into it it looks like Microsoft Gameinput may be the culprit as it happens exactly when windows has an "improper shut down".

I am going to follow this here, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n/cba5ddce-6d39-4a0a-92d0-d8c6d5bb96cf?page=1 , but if anyone has any additional advice please speak up.

I will update whether or not this solves my issue. Thank you!

I have done a lot of troubleshooting for this issue as it seems to be an issue people have had on the forums. It just drops power and then automatically powers back on.

I have been having the issue quite awhile and it usually happens while I am playing a game, however sometimes it happens without playing a game, but very rare. When playing games it doesn't seem to matter what kind of game it is. It can be really intensive graphically or something as low poly as oldschool runescape. What I am saying is that it happens about the same amount no matter what kind of game I play.

I have been pulling my hair out over this and after doing everything that I can even think to do I am humbly asking for any kind of help. I will list what I have done at the end.

I don't see an option to post HWMonitor logs, So I will list out what I have.

Mobo: ASUS Prime B360M-A
CPU: i7-8700
RAM: 32gb 4x8gb Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3000C15
PSU: Corsair RMX Series RM1000x Gold
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (The MSI Duke one specifically)
Boot Drive : Samsung SDD 970 EVO Plus 2TB

I have had this machine for over 5 years. I didn't have a lot of money when building it and I don't have a lot of money now, so I am really concerned with this issue.

What I have done:
  • Checked Temps with multiple digital tools from HWMonitor to NZXT CAM and the temps for gpu and cpu fall into standard and don't get to max.
  • Bought a brand new PSU going from 650W to now 1000W as I thought it may have been failing because temps were not the issue.
  • Cleaned AIO cooler radiator. Made the system run a few degrees cooler, but did not solve the issue.
  • Updated all Drivers.
  • Updated the BIOS
  • Took out and reset both RAM and GPU.
  • Removed CMOS battery while system was unplugged. (saw it on these forums that it helped some people but not me)
  • Did a memtest on the RAM overnight and the RAM passed the test.
  • Did a full system restore for the OS.
  • Tried plugging into another surge protector in another wall socket.
  • Checked the motherboard for any damage or burst capacitors.

I am unsure what else I can do. I ordered some thermal paste so I can reseat the cpu and change the thermal paste, though I am not sure that will do anything. I am all ears to any kind of advice.
Try setting your memory to 2400Mhz in the bios, and see if the issue persists.

Jul 16, 2022
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even and informational event that occurs just before or at the time of the power losses.

Reliability History is easier to use and understand so start there.

(Event Viewer is more difficult to navigate and understand but there is no need to rush through it. A bit of time and effort will be necessary to just get oriented to layout and the information being presented.)

FYI:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-event-viewer-windows-10

Reliabilty History's time line format can be very revealing with respect to errors or patterns of errors.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image
No corruption was found using dsim or sfc. Reliability event showed that microsoft gameinput was going off at the same time and I stopped that, but even so the problem persists. I have been going through the event viewer to see if there are any other patterns.

Ralston18

Titan
Were you able to try the Powershell options via the link you provided in Post #3?

Link appears current (created June 15, 2022) and active (noted a July 18, 2022 date there.)

You should read through all of the postings and comments just in case there is some caveat applicable to your computer an/or shut down problem.

Back up all important data beforehand - which should always be being done as a matter or routine anyway. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

The Powershell cmdlets may be a bit intimidating but running them could help resolve the problem.

And you do not need to retype the commands.

Copy and paste via the link works very well. For example (copied from the link via CTRL C and pasted via CTRL V):

get-appxpackage Xbox | remove-Appxpackage

add-appxpackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Xbox\AppxManifest.xml" –disabledevelopmentmode

Etc...

Jul 16, 2022
Were you able to try the Powershell options via the link you provided in Post #3?

Link appears current (created June 15, 2022) and active (noted a July 18, 2022 date there.)

You should read through all of the postings and comments just in case there is some caveat applicable to your computer an/or shut down problem.

Back up all important data beforehand - which should always be being done as a matter or routine anyway. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

The Powershell cmdlets may be a bit intimidating but running them could help resolve the problem.

Copy and paste via the link works very well. For example (copied from the link via CTRL C and pasted via CTRL V):

add-appxpackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Xbox\AppxManifest.xml" –disabledevelopmentmode

Etc...
Yes I did. I did everything in that post and believe that it disabled the Microsoft gameinput as when I go to play games now it comes up with a box that says it needs an app to run the game, but if ignored the game runs fine and I no longer see the gameinput in the reliability event viewer.

Yeah I did exactly that. Ctrl C and Ctrl V. Oh and trust me I have been trying to fix this issue since March I am 100% desperate so I am trying anything. Trust me anything I find that looks promising or that I am being told I am pouring myself into to solve this issue as again I do not have a lot of money to just upgrade hardware.

Example through your post about the event viewer I have been scouring for any additional patterns and the closest I have come to find is something with event ID 10016 which in some places that I read normally I don't have to pay attention to as an end user, BUT they give advice on how to fix it through the registry if I really want to, so I am also trying that as well.

This morning however I saw two new instances of event ID 10016 that gave two new CLISD locations to two new APPID locations and I am not sure if I should go ahead and modify the permissions for that as well.

Jul 16, 2022

Etc...
Is it possible that a HDD that does not house the OS to cause an issue that would shut a computer down?

If pc restarts, then it's a restart (not shutdown). Usually caused by BSOD.
You have to turn off "Automatically restart on system failure" to see the BSOD and read reason info, that caused it.
Shutdown (when pc remains off) usually is caused by thermal issue (cpu overheating) or PSU protection kicking in and turning PSU off.

1407_Uncheck_Automatically_restart_System_Failure_Windows_10.png

Reactions: Ralston18
Jul 16, 2022
You have to turn off "Automatically restart on system failure" to see the BSOD and read reason info, that caused it.
Shutdown (when pc remains off) usually is caused by thermal issue (cpu overheating) or PSU protection kicking in and turning PSU off.

I apologize for confusing the terms is it weird that when I do a restart that my fans and lights inside the tower stay on during? In the case of this auto restart all lights and fans shut off and then 3 seconds later it reboots, but yes thinking about it since it does automatically turn itself on I would consider it a restart too.

So turning this off I will see BSOD and be able to actually determine what the actual issue is. That's crazy why would microsoft put in an option that just removes the BSOD which would let you know what is wrong. Thank you I hope this works. I will report back once this happens!

Jul 16, 2022

So I did that and it happened again, but no BSOD. Reliability Monitor still says its a shutdown. The previous system shutdown at 12:21:38 PM on ‎7/‎21/‎2022 was unexpected. The only thing I can see around the event are CLISD to APPID events.

Jul 16, 2022
The four sticks of ram came as one package/kit?
Yes Sir. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I have had the system as is for about 5 years and it only started acting up this March. Not sure if mixed kit ram would cause problems now, but not in the past. (I say this because I am still learning, so please tell me otherwise if I am wrong on that assumption!) But yes all same kit and passed memtest.

alexbirdie

Respectable
I have been having the issue quite awhile and it usually happens while I am playing a game, however sometimes it happens without playing a game, but very rare.

I apologize for the perhaps silly question.

Do you remember, if you changed anything before the issues started( hardware , software installation or removal etc.)?

hardware: perhaps only some cleaning, unplugging and plugging in again components etc.

Jul 16, 2022
I apologize for the perhaps silly question.

Do you remember, if you changed anything before the issues started( hardware , software installation or removal etc.)?

hardware: perhaps only some cleaning, unplugging and plugging in again components etc.
I thought about this as well. Other than blowing out the unit with some compressed air every so often the last time I installed anything was a capture card about two years ago. I do however use canned air to blow on the unit every few months.

alexbirdie

Respectable
I thought about this as well. Other than blowing out the unit with some compressed air every so often the last time I installed anything was a capture card about two years ago. I do however use canned air to blow on the unit every few months.

Thx.

Blowing out with air should not cause your problems, I assume.

Could be every component.

Any chance to try another GPU?