Question PC Shuts Down During GPU-Intensive Gaming

Nov 29, 2019
Hello,

I've been having an issue for a while now with my laptop shutting down, when playing GPU intensive games (Warframe, Battletech, etc). However, it has recently gotten to the point where if I leave my laptop plugged in for more than a few minutes at a time - sometimes not even that - while playing these games, the computer shuts down as though its thermal protection shutoff triggered. However, I've been paying attention to GPU and CPU temps, and nothing goes above 70 degrees Celsius. GPU never even rises above 60 degrees Celsius before the computer crashes.

I've cleaned out the fans, I've replaced them, I've replaced the thermal paste on my CPU and GPU, and made sure that all my graphics cards and Windows Versions were up to date. I've even tried underclocking my CPU and GPU, and would up the fan speed as well if I was able to (which I can't, to my chagrin). I've tried opening up the bottom case while propping it up, and using an external fan to blow into the bottom, even. Yet every time I plug my laptop in while the GPU is under load, within a few minutes the computer crashes. This is on minimum graphics settings, too. I've also tried switching out the charging cord, to no avail.

Here are the specs:

GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M
CPU - Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.6 GHz
RAM - 8 Gb
Mobo - Lenovo 80RU
PSU - Lenovo ADL135NDC3A

The crashing issue has gotten to the point where I can't play a good three quarters of the games in my Steam Library without having to pay excessive attention to my system temp/load/etc, so any suggestions as to the problem and potential fixes would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 29, 2019
I have been, yeah. I've seen results from Core Temp, NZXT Cam, Heaven Benchmark, as well as MSI Afterburner. I've been getting similar readings before each crash every time, with the GPU either just reaching 60 Celsius or within 5 degrees Celsius of 60, which is about how far the temp can jump from what I've seen from lower temp increases.

Nov 29, 2019
Could the problem be something involving the internal power system? At this point I'm running out of ideas what the issue could be, and I don't exactly have the money to get a new rig, so again any suggestions as to what I could do to fix my system would really be appreciated.

Nov 29, 2019
After some more experimentation, I find that my laptop shuts down without warning much faster while it is plugged in. (The battery doesn't last long enough for me to confirm if it will do the same unplugged) However, I've also noticed that when I try monitoring the temperatures, when the computer is under high load it shuts down even before temperatures rise above 60 degrees Celsius. The last time I checked to see when it would shut down, the GPU wasn't even at 50 Celsius.

The cores to the CPU are also well within their given tolerance values. With Core Temp, I have the computer set to go into sleep mode if their temperatures rise within ten degrees of their shutoff point, so unless their temperature spikes in the period of one second I can't see the problem being there.

If that additional information helps anyone diagnose the probable issue, please let me know. Much like I mentioned before, ANY advice would be great. I'm scratching my head here, since as far as I'm aware there shouldn't be any problem with my system.