PC shuts down randomly, then reboots after brief power off. PSU has been replaced, please help, i'm clueless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerub89

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Dear users!
I'm desperate for a solution.

My PC started to shut off at random times, like it's been unplugged from the wall. It stayes shut off for 3-4 seconds, then it automatically restarts itself. Sometimes it writes out an error message:
"Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus anti-surge protection was triggered to protect the PC...."

The obvious solution was to replace the PSU, and i did that, but the problem persists.
Note, that i did not put any new component in the PC, and i also tried to remove all the usb accessories, like mouse, keyboard, etc. to see if they are responsible for the problem, but still nothing. BIOS has been updated to latest as well. Memory sticks have been reseated, GPU as well.

My specs:

MOBO: Asus Z170-P
CPU: i5 6600K
GPU: Asus Dual RX 480 O4G
4X4 Gb DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury = 16 Gb
Old PSU: Thermaltake Smart se 630W
Current PSU: Cooler Master G650M 650W

Thanks in advance!!
Chris

Kerub89

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

I do not have integrated graphics. :(
I don't think that anything is pulling it down that much, and i also had the system running with the Asus power surge protection turned off in BIOS, and it still did the thing, but without the error message.

Also note that this "power outage" can occur at very very strange and random times, for example it can happen 3 times a day, or the PC can go on for even a week between these outages.
The other weird thing is that this can happen under load, when i'm playing, and it can happen when the PC is just in idle, not doing anything, just being on.

(SORRY for thrash english, I'm not a native english speaker)

Kerub89

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

Well, this morning i messed around with the wall socket to see if it was actually grounded, and as far as i could tell, it is.
I even disconnected the ground cable, and then reconnected it inside the socket, and it should be ok. I'll check it with a multimeter if i get my hands on one.

For now, i have the waiting game again: see if the PC shuts down again or not.

Thanks for the idea guys, i'll keep you updated.

Kerub89

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

I will get one from a friend, and i'll check it, thanks fot the tip!

Kerub89

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Update: My electric engineer friend said, that this also can be caused by the CMOS Battery, so today i changed that to a brand new one. Now i have to wait to see if that caused the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.