Question PC shuts down then turns itself back on; NOT a PSU issue

Jan 3, 2020
Recently I upgraded to SLI 2080TI's, but when playing the PC would randomly turn itself off and back on. I initially thought it was a PSU issue, I had a 1200w PSU and saw in corsair link spikes of draw up to ~1000w, so I assumed it wasn't enough (based on 91% efficieny) and bought a 1600w corsair PSU. Yet today the PC again presents the same problems. I'm at a loss, it is something that changed with SLI so I'm thinking maybe overheating RAM or a VRM somewhere? When I have only one card in (the original card, I haven't tested the new one but surely a GPU issue doesn't cause a PSU like power cycle?) the problem isn't there. I also diagnosed the power issue based on the problem not presenting when I limited power to the GPU's to 75%, but that also might have fixed a temperature isssue with another part of the PC? The GPU's are not overheating, at max 70 when its crashing.

Any ideas?
9900k @ 5ghz 1.33 adaptive voltage, msi meg ace mobo, 32GB Corsair Ram 3600mhz, a gaming x trio and a evga xc hybrid 2080ti, 1600w psu

perhaps its the SLI bridge? could an error with that cause this kind of problem? I had to take the plastic off it (evga 3 slot) because it didnt fit, so it's just exposed in then case, I could try a new sli bridge soon but other than that I've really got no more ideas.

Jan 3, 2020
Take 2 of the sticks out, preferably 1 and 3, and test again.

Besides power supplies, forced restarts can also be caused by ram. After that, I'd suspect software.

If you didn't bend or break anything else on it, then it should be fine.
I haven't had it happen again since yesterday, I'm going to leave it in the middle of an area of gta 5 that uses 93~% of both gpu's for a few hours and see if it's still there when I come back. Yesterday I went and reseated ram/changed positioning of them.

Reactions: Phaaze88