AForceGaming

Prominent
Feb 5, 2022
Last night I took my PC apart because of a display problem, I removed the GPU, RAM slots, the CMOS battery and the CPU.
The problem was fixed and the display works now, but the PC shutsoff a few minutes after turning it on (shuts off when the Windows 10 boot logo appears).

I believe this is because when I reassambled the CPU, either I didn't put it in correctly (close enough to the CPU) or because of the thermal paste that was erased after I detached the CPU fan and the CPU itself and I didn't apply new thermal paste after that, is that the problem here ?

Should I apply some thermal paste because it was very old and it got removed once I checked on the CPU ?
I need help here, you could save me from a trip to the repair shop, Please.

Solution
272660535_633085411312326_2832330127277071092_n.jpg

I don't certainly know if it's the whole case's temp or the CPU only, but you are right about the thermal paste part, I think I reinstalled the CPU fan incorrectly causing the CPU to overheat and shutdown along with no thermal paste.
I think the best solution here is to take it to the repair shop and tell them about the problem and it should be fixed because I'm a beginner in PC parts and PC knowledge in general and I don't even have thermal paste at the moment.
What do...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information from your end. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU Cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Include the age of the PSU as well apart from it's make and model.

If you didn't reapply the thermal paste, are you reusing the thermal paste that came stock with the cooler? Can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely?

Reactions: AForceGaming

AForceGaming

Prominent
Feb 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information from your end. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU Cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Include the age of the PSU as well apart from it's make and model.

If you didn't reapply the thermal paste, are you reusing the thermal paste that came stock with the cooler? Can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely?
The rig is pretty old, I got it in 2011 and that answers the PSU's age, it didn't come with a thermal paste and the thermal paste that came with it has became some kind of powder because it was very old and it fallen off when I was checking the CPU, however the chassis has a timer and temperature display and it shows that the PC is 20°C rather than the usual 17°C when booting up
CPU:
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8200
CPU Cooler:
Intel® Stock Cooler (LGA 755)
Motherboard:
ASRock g31m-s
Ram:
2 Sticks of TwinMOS DDR2-667 2GB U-DIMM
SSD/HDD:
Samsung HD502HJ 500GB (using)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB (not using)

GPU:
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1 GB
PSU:
Hipro HP-D3057F3R
Chassis:
Unknown (but has the same theme as the monitor Red+Black)
Windows 10 x64 (latest version or below)
Monitor:
Samsung SyncMaster P2350 60Hrz

Feb 5, 2022
Last night I opened my PC apart because of a display problem, I removed the GPU, RAM slots, the CMOS battery and the CPU.
The problem was fixed and the PC displays, however, the PC shutsoff a few minutes after turning it on (shutsoff when the Windows 10 boot logo appears).
I believe this because when I reassambled the CPU either I didn't put it correctly (close enough to the CPU) or beacuse of the thermal paste that was erased after I detached the CPU fan and the CPU itself
And I didn't apply thermal paste after that, is that the problem here ? Should I apply some thermal paste because it was very old and it got removed once I checked on the CPU ?
I need help here, you could save me from a trip to the repair shop, Please.

You removed the thermal paste entirely or you took off the CPU cooler and then just re-seated it with the thermal paste that was already on there? Is there any thermal paste on it now?

If you don't have any thermal paste on at all (of VERY little) your CPU may be overheating. Does your BIOS have a section that shows the CPU temp (even before getting into windows)? That's a pretty old rig so not sure if it would but if it does what's it at if you go there and is it increasing? And does the PC shut off if you're in the BIOS after a few minutes?

Last edited:

AForceGaming

Prominent
Feb 5, 2022
You removed the thermal paste entirely or you took off the CPU cooler and then just re-seated it with the thermal paste that was already on there? Is there any thermal paste on it now?

If you don't have any thermal paste on at all (of VERY little) your CPU may be overheating. Does your BIOS have a section that shows the CPU temp (even before getting into windows)? That's a pretty old rig so not sure if it would but if it does what's it at if you go there and is it increasing? And does the PC shut off if you're in the BIOS after a few minutes?
When I took off the CPU cooler, the thermal paste kinda fell off because it was basically powder, as for the rig yes it's an 11 years old gaming PC and it has a little display in-front about the fans, uptime and the temperature.
Before I took off the CPU cooler, when booting up it will show around 16° to 17°C on the little display, but after that it shows 19.5° to 20°C.
As for the BIOS thing you told me about I guess I can't tell because the display problem came back again.
If you want some pictures I can upload them, they are not high quality but they can do the job.

Feb 5, 2022
When I took off the CPU cooler, the thermal paste kinda fell off because it was basically powder, as for the rig yes it's an 11 years old gaming PC and it has a little display in-front about the fans, uptime and the temperature.
Before I took off the CPU cooler, when booting up it will show around 16° to 17°C on the little display, but after that it shows 19.5° to 20°C.
As for the BIOS thing you told me about I guess I can't tell because the display problem came back again.
If you want some pictures I can upload them, they are not high quality but they can do the job.

Hmm, is that the case temp or the CPU temp? If that's the case temp that could be very different. If it's powder and basically 'blew off' I'd go get some new thermal paste and re-apply it. If it's uneven or grainy it could be causing contact issues as well.

AForceGaming

Prominent
Feb 5, 2022
Hmm, is that the case temp or the CPU temp? If that's the case temp that could be very different. If it's powder and basically 'blew off' I'd go get some new thermal paste and re-apply it. If it's uneven or grainy it could be causing contact issues as well.

I don't certainly know if it's the whole case's temp or the CPU only, but you are right about the thermal paste part, I think I reinstalled the CPU fan incorrectly causing the CPU to overheat and shutdown along with no thermal paste.
I think the best solution here is to take it to the repair shop and tell them about the problem and it should be fixed because I'm a beginner in PC parts and PC knowledge in general and I don't even have thermal paste at the moment.
What do you think ?

Feb 5, 2022

What do you think ?

That's probably a case/system readout, but dunno without knowing the case. Again, you can hit delete/F2 usually upon startup and get to the BIOS and it may show it there. Even very old BIOS outlays had it shown there (like the image below). Obviously higher end or gaming/high performance mobos today have a much cleaner and aesthetically pleasing interface. That said, you can't really screw anything up there as long as you exit without saving.

v4-460px-Monitor-CPU-Temperature-Step-4-Version-3.jpg

You definitely need to have thermal paste, so if there's none between the processor/heatsink it probably is overheating, especially if shutting down. You can order arctic silver thermal paste online, it's usually only $5-10. If you try it yourself basically clean off the heatsink metal and processor (just the top) with isopropyl alcohol (90%+). You can use a cotton swab or even a paper towel, it doesn't take much.. and then put a small pea size drop in the middle of the processor, and secure the heatsink. Screwing the heatsink in will spread it out evenly enough to suffice. It's not a difficult process, but if you're nervous/new you can always find help from someone... it's a pretty quick thing to do. Watch some YouTube videos.

Solution

AForceGaming

Prominent
Feb 5, 2022
That's probably a case/system readout, but dunno without knowing the case. Again, you can hit delete/F2 usually upon startup and get to the BIOS and it may show it there. Even very old BIOS outlays had it shown there (like the image below). Obviously higher end or gaming/high performance mobos today have a much cleaner and aesthetically pleasing interface. That said, you can't really screw anything up there as long as you exit without saving.

v4-460px-Monitor-CPU-Temperature-Step-4-Version-3.jpg

You definitely need to have thermal paste, so if there's none between the processor/heatsink it probably is overheating, especially if shutting down. You can order arctic silver thermal paste online, it's usually only $5-10. If you try it yourself basically clean off the heatsink metal and processor (just the top) with isopropyl alcohol (90%+). You can use a cotton swab or even a paper towel, it doesn't take much.. and then put a small pea size drop in the middle of the processor, and secure the heatsink. Screwing the heatsink in will spread it out evenly enough to suffice. It's not a difficult process, but if you're nervous/new you can always find help from someone... it's a pretty quick thing to do. Watch some YouTube videos.
I'll check the BIOS once I completely fix the display problem, again.
As you said, there's no thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU and I really need to find a tutorial on how to put back that lame intel stock heatsink because it's complicated.
Also can this be related somehow to the power supply ? Could the power supply be faulty or something ?

Feb 5, 2022
I'll check the BIOS once I completely fix the display problem, again.
As you said, there's no thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU and I really need to find a tutorial on how to put back that lame intel stock heatsink because it's complicated.
Also can this be related somehow to the power supply ? Could the power supply be faulty or something ?

If there's no thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink that's likely your problem and even if not you want it on there anyway to protect from overheating or constantly running too hot. I would a) Immediately start there before worrying about your power supply/PSU, b) Don't power the computer on again until you apply it, otherwise you could damage the components (if they're not already damaged).

There's plenty of YouTube videos on how to apply thermal paste. Again, you can buy it online relatively cheap (comes in a little tube) and put about a small pea sized dot (been doing this for years, there's other methods like a cross or spreading it, I just use the dot and let the heatsink 'spread' it for me when secured) on the processor, and secure the fan. Recommend to clean off both the heatsink and processor surface (just the top of the processor where the heatsink will mount) with 90%+ isopropyl alcohol (can buy at the store, use some q tips or something to clean it and give it a quick blast of compressed air after).

Again, plenty of videos/tutorials online. Fairly simple.

AForceGaming

Prominent
Feb 5, 2022
If there's no thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink that's likely your problem and even if not you want it on there anyway to protect from overheating or constantly running too hot. I would a) Immediately start there before worrying about your power supply/PSU, b) Don't power the computer on again until you apply it, otherwise you could damage the components (if they're not already damaged).

There's plenty of YouTube videos on how to apply thermal paste. Again, you can buy it online relatively cheap (comes in a little tube) and put about a small pea sized dot (been doing this for years, there's other methods like a cross or spreading it, I just use the dot and let the heatsink 'spread' it for me when secured) on the processor, and secure the fan. Recommend to clean off both the heatsink and processor surface (just the top of the processor where the heatsink will mount) with 90%+ isopropyl alcohol (can buy at the store, use some q tips or something to clean it and give it a quick blast of compressed air after).

Here's the picture of the heatsink and the CPU , clearly no thermal paste left :
272912932_640722557202678_436505350400428938_n.jpg

AForceGaming

Prominent
Feb 5, 2022

Can this thermal paste do the job ? The PC is kinda old and I don't want to spent alot on it :
https://megapc.tn/shop/product/COMPOSANTS/REFROIDISSEMENT/Aerocool-Baraf-1g
It's a 2.5$ thermal paste, besides, I won't use that much thermal paste anyways even in the future.

Feb 5, 2022
Can this thermal paste do the job ? The PC is kinda old and I don't want to spent alot on it :
https://megapc.tn/shop/product/COMPOSANTS/REFROIDISSEMENT/Aerocool-Baraf-1g
It's a 2.5$ thermal paste, besides, I won't use that much thermal paste anyways even in the future.

Should be fine. There's different kinds of thermal paste (some better than others) but it generally doesn't make TOO large a difference, especially if it's not a high end processor or you're not heavily overclocking. Once you get it, I'd recommend just putting about a pea size dot on the processor (doesn't need to be a lot) and then just securing the heatsink right on it. The pressure/screwing in the heat sink will spread it evenly for you (or should).

Also, looks like there's quite a bit of dust, etc. I would also recommend you get a can of compressed air and clean out your case at a minimum (just get dust outta there). You can also use some Q tips with 99% isopropyl alcohol (90%+ also works, but higher is recommended) to clean off some of the gunk on that board (do not pour the alcohol on the board, just put a little on a cloth/Q tip etc., you don't need to soak it). Do that with the power OFF and unplugged. And give it a good blast with the compressed air after to make sure it's dry and no cotton fragments are left. Up to you, that's likely not the reason your computer is shutting off, but it's good to remove dust/gunk and create better airflow, etc.

You definitely should have thermal paste, though. That's probably your issue as the BIOS has a fail safe to turn off the computer if the processor gets too hot (generally to prevent a fire). That feature should never be turned off unless specifically testing and in a safe setting. That's generally tested at a manufacturing factory to determine threshold and operational temps, not by a general consumer lol.

Last edited:

AForceGaming

Prominent
Feb 5, 2022
Should be fine. There's different kinds of thermal paste (some better than others) but it generally doesn't make TOO large a difference, especially if it's not a high end processor or you're not heavily overclocking. Once you get it, I'd recommend just putting about a pea size dot on the processor (doesn't need to be a lot) and then just securing the heatsink right on it. The pressure/screwing in the heat sink will spread it evenly for you (or should).

Also, looks like there's quite a bit of dust, etc. I would also recommend you get a can of compressed air and clean out your case at a minimum (just get dust outta there). You can also use some Q tips with 99% isopropyl alcohol (90%+ also works, but higher is recommended) to clean off some of the gunk on that board (do not pour the alcohol on the board, just put a little on a cloth/Q tip etc., you don't need to soak it). Do that with the power OFF and unplugged. And give it a good blast with the compressed air after to make sure it's dry and no cotton fragments are left. Up to you, that's likely not the reason your computer is shutting off, but it's good to remove dust/gunk and create better airflow, etc.

You definitely should have thermal paste, though. That's probably your issue as the BIOS has a fail safe to turn off the computer if the processor gets too hot (generally to prevent a fire). That feature should never be turned off unless specifically testing and in a safe setting. That's generally tested at a manufacturing factory to determine threshold and operational temps, not by a general consumer lol.
Thanks for the help, I'm planning to get the thermal paste and apply it myself or just take it to the repair shop and explain them the issue.
Thanks for your time and effort <3

Thanks for the help, I'm planning to get the thermal paste and apply it myself or just take it to the repair shop and explain them the issue.
Thermal paste is necessary, but that's only one of issues.
I'd suspect, cpu cooler was not installed properly after removal.

On intel stock cooler push pins have to be reset after cooler removal.
If you don't do it, then there's improper contact between cooler and cpu.

Read instructions, how to reset stock intel cpu cooler.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005852/processors.html

AForceGaming

Prominent
Feb 5, 2022

Latest posts