[SOLVED] pc shutting down after gaming/stress

Jan 9, 2019
hey guys i just bought a prebuilt recently on craigslist and am currently trying to upgrade it but running into a problem. Sorry if this is the wrong sub idk where to post, i have a GA-78LMT-USB3 mobo AMdfx6300 cpu and gtx 950 gpu with 8gb of ram and slow as balls 500 gb western digital 5400 rpm HDDand a shitty Chinese knock off 500 w psu. the pc came with a gt 720 all ive done so far is add a gpu and i can play games at okay frames but after an hour or so of gaming (rust/ bf4) the pc just shuts down like someone flipped a power switch, no bsod nothing, just reboots like nothing happened. i cant figure out whats causing it, it doesnt seem to be a crash, my temps look good usually 70 c for cpu and 60-65c max for gpu. idk any help is appreciated.

Solution
For starters change the PSU.
Yes - your cpu is rather weak/outdated compared to any modern cpu.
If you want serious performance improvement, then cpu, motherboard, ram will need to be changed too,
but not until you upgrade gpu to something better than GTX 950.
Currently this combination is fine.
Jan 9, 2019

but how can i know thats the answer without buying a psu and trying? on a budget it would take me a while to slowly replace all parts with name brand components which is my plan but will take at least a couple months

Chinese knock off 500 w psu

That's is the reason.

Get a good PSU before that one cooks your system.

Jan 9, 2019

turbolink 500w switching power supply
Voltage: 115/230 current 10/5a frequnecy 50-60 hz

Like I said above, replace it before it fries your system.

That's a PSU shaped object.

Jan 9, 2019

aight i got a rosewill 500w 80+ bronze certified in the mail. hope that fixes it.

What Roswell 500W PSU?

This one?
Yeah - throw it out.

MJIeYCv.jpg

Why would you keep to a low 500W you should at least upgrade it to the 600W version if you are going to be replacing parts in the future.

You have picked a non-branded PSU again to run your system, or at least a brand that has no reviews by independent people so how do you know its any good?

Cancel that Roswell PSU as you just burnt your money....

Dec 11, 2018
I have been building and working on computers for over 25 years. My first pc was an 8088. To say I have valuable experience you can find useful is an understatement.

Heed this advice.

There is no better place to NOT save money than on your power supply. You can survive with cheap ram, motherboards, hard drives, whatever you like. Save money any other place.

Throw money at your power supply until it hurts.

UNTIL IT HURTS.

I personally won't even cast my gaze at a power supply that costs less than $100 for my gaming rig. That's where I START my search for a power supply.

Even if you have to be a glory hole cowboy in a truck stop men's room for $20 a pop, spend more money on your power supply man. No matter how you have to get it.

Jan 9, 2019

yep thats the one. leave it to cyberpower eh? but what about that motherboard is that an okay board or do i just need to throw the whole thing out and start over?

For starters change the PSU.
Yes - your cpu is rather weak/outdated compared to any modern cpu.
If you want serious performance improvement, then cpu, motherboard, ram will need to be changed too,
but not until you upgrade gpu to something better than GTX 950.
Currently this combination is fine.

Solution