[SOLVED] Pc shutting down, need to change psu, need help

Feb 11, 2020
I just recently bought a used rx 580 and it works fine but after some time it shuts down the pc, Temps go at like 71c max at load and wattage goes to like 140w, I think the problem is the psu, as when I bought the pc it was pre built and came with a Chinese one which claims to be 800w but it's clearly not, I already disconnected the gpu, and the motherboard's surge protection saved me.
and I'm planning on buying a good psu, how much wattage should I need?

My specs are the following:
I5 4690k no oc
10gb ram (8gb + 2gb)
Msi Rx 580 4gb (used to be radeon HD 7700)
1 hdd and 1 ssd

Picture of psu
Psu

Solution
Ok, I've found the following - prices are in Mex$, and PSUs are in order of what I'd prefer to see you get. I do, however, realize that even the cheapest of these is beyond your stated budget. But, the cheapest is around USD$132, and the most expensive around USD$156

All links are from the Mexico PC Part Picker site:

Corsair TX650M Gold 650W - considering that this is only about Mex$8 more than the 550W version, I would strongly prefer this over the TX550M
https://mx.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na
$2907.71

Corsair TX550M Gold 550W...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Take a look at the first link in my sig. It links to a thread about power supplies - the first posting has a good summary of what PSUs are good quality, and what aren't.

What country are you buying in? Depending on the country, availability of the better PSUs could be limited. But, you want to get a good quality one - it won't just provide power, but will also protect the rest of your system's components.

I just recently bought a used rx 580 and it works fine but after some time it shuts down the pc, Temps go at like 71c max at load and wattage goes to like 140w, I think the problem is the psu, as when I bought the pc it was pre built and came with a Chinese one which claims to be 800w but it's clearly not, I already disconnected the gpu, and the motherboard's surge protection saved me.
and I'm planning on buying a good psu, how much wattage should I need?

My specs are the following:
I5 4690k no oc
10gb ram (8gb + 2gb)
Msi Rx 580 4gb (used to be radeon HD 7700)
1 hdd and 1 ssd

Picture of psu
Psu

RX580 has some wicked transient power spikes that can bring a cheap PSU to its knees. Even a quality PSU based on a double forward topology can struggle and shut down. You really need a good PSU.

Reactions: King_V and bmockeg

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That is a poor quality power supply, and I would recommend against it. Also, I am guessing that @Jesd9826 is outside of the US.
I think you missed the difference in cheapest I’d get and buy this. If his budget is $120 then nobody would take that. Maybe he can’t afford $70. Obviously he’s best served buying a quality gold unit such as a Corsair TXM but his hardware doesn’t scream big budget.

I think you missed the difference in cheapest I’d get and buy this. If his budget is $120 then nobody would take that. Maybe he can’t afford $70. Obviously he’s best served buying a quality gold unit such as a Corsair TXM but his hardware doesn’t scream big budget.

Gold.. Bronze... These are merely efficiency levels. They don't address his issue. Even a CX from Corsair is "Bronze" efficiency, but it uses an LLC topology that won't choke with his RX580.

Gold.. Bronze... These are merely efficiency levels. They don't address his issue. Even a CX from Corsair is "Bronze" efficiency, but it uses an LLC topology that won't choke with his RX580.
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $79.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-11 18:17 EST-0500

So this would be more appropriate for a bottom line?

Feb 11, 2020
Thank you everyone for your answers, yes I'm not from the US, I'm based on Mexico, I found an online retailer that sells a corsair vs650 80 plus white for around 50$ usd and I think I'll buy that, would that be good enough?

My current budget for this is 100usd, so I can watch psu around that prices.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, I've found the following - prices are in Mex$, and PSUs are in order of what I'd prefer to see you get. I do, however, realize that even the cheapest of these is beyond your stated budget. But, the cheapest is around USD$132, and the most expensive around USD$156

All links are from the Mexico PC Part Picker site:

Corsair TX650M Gold 650W - considering that this is only about Mex$8 more than the 550W version, I would strongly prefer this over the TX550M
https://mx.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na
$2907.71

Corsair TX550M Gold 550W
https://mx.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na
$2899.43

Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
https://mx.pcpartpicker.com/product...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm
$2683.83

Corsair CX550 (2017) 550W - it's not a BAD one per se, but I'd go with the CX only as a last resort, considering that the better models aren't a lot more.
https://mx.pcpartpicker.com/product...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020122-na
$2461.11

Reactions: Jesd9826
Solution