[SOLVED] pc shutting down

pandasmash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
my pc keeps switching off. guessing its a heat issue.
could it be due to bad thermal paste or could it need redone?
or is it a power issue?
pc is around 6 years old now.
or how do i test what is wrong?
only get about 4 minutes before it shuts off. then the more it goes on the quicker it turns off.
i am guessing its heat as this happened a while back but i turned up the fans on the cooling system and it stopped for about 6 months. sadly i cant turn them up any more.
any help appreciated.
if you need compnent parts just ask.

thanks in advance

Solution
Open it up and clean it out. It could be as simple as having dust packed into the heat sink and fans. Get a can of air and clean it out well (no need to remove the cpu's heatsink yet). Try out the system after doing this, if you still have heating issues then clean the cpu delicately and replace with new paste.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Open it up and clean it out. It could be as simple as having dust packed into the heat sink and fans. Get a can of air and clean it out well (no need to remove the cpu's heatsink yet). Try out the system after doing this, if you still have heating issues then clean the cpu delicately and replace with new paste.

Reactions: pandasmash
Solution

pandasmash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
that worked a treat. cant believe how dusty it was!!! thanks boss!

Reactions: phaelax