Question PC Shutting Down

Apr 24, 2023
Hello everybody, so my issue is that my PC will shut down by itself. The longer I leave the system off, the longer it will stay on when I boot (but still less than 5 minutes). If I try to turn it right back on, it won't make it past the boot/bios screen. I originally thought that my issue was the power supply, so I got a new one. That was not the issue. All of the fans are working and cleaned. I took out the 240mm liquid cooling system and cleaned that as well. None of that was the issue. The system recognizes all 64gb of RAM, but I still tried taking them out one by one to see if maybe one of them was faulty and causing issues. Everything is plugged in correctly as far as I can tell. My thoughts are either a dead processor, failing motherboard, or just an electrical issue somewhere. Figured I would try asking you very smart computer people for help before I make a rash purchase for something that I may not need. Has anybody else had this issue or have any suggestions to point me in the right direction? I am at a loss. I tried looking for other threads, but none of the other ones I saw had my exact issue. Thank you for any and all help.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Processor
240mm Addressable Liquid Cooling System
64GB [16GB x 4] DDR4-3200MHz
GeForce RTX 3070 - 8GB GDDR6
B550M-C Motherboard
650 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified Power Supply (my new one is now an 850w 80P Gold. Overkill I know)

Also, I try to run diagnostic programs on it, but the PC barely stays on long enough to do anything. And the "automatic repair" on startup isn't an option because it takes way too long and the PC shuts down.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023
Do you know what BIOS version your motherboard is running?
I believe it was version 1.24, which I updated it to shortly after getting the PC. Oddly enough I was MINUTES away from updating the BIOS to the newest version before my PC crashed the first time.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hello everybody, so my issue is that my PC will shut down by itself. The longer I leave the system off, the longer it will stay on when I boot (but still less than 5 minutes). If I try to turn it right back on, it won't make it past the boot/bios screen. I originally thought that my issue was the power supply, so I got a new one. That was not the issue. All of the fans are working and cleaned. I took out the 240mm liquid cooling system and cleaned that as well. None of that was the issue. The system recognizes all 64gb of RAM, but I still tried taking them out one by one to see if maybe one of them was faulty and causing issues. Everything is plugged in correctly as far as I can tell. My thoughts are either a dead processor, failing motherboard, or just an electrical issue somewhere. Figured I would try asking you very smart computer people for help before I make a rash purchase for something that I may not need. Has anybody else had this issue or have any suggestions to point me in the right direction? I am at a loss. I tried looking for other threads, but none of the other ones I saw had my exact issue. Thank you for any and all help.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Processor
240mm Addressable Liquid Cooling System
64GB [16GB x 4] DDR4-3200MHz
GeForce RTX 3070 - 8GB GDDR6
B550M-C Motherboard
650 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified Power Supply (my new one is now an 850w 80P Gold. Overkill I know)

Also, I try to run diagnostic programs on it, but the PC barely stays on long enough to do anything. And the "automatic repair" on startup isn't an option because it takes way too long and the PC shuts down.
Run performance monitor and observe it when the problem occurs.

Download CoreTemp, it's a free app to see your cpu temps. Your pc might be overheating due to a failing AIO.

Download Cinebench23, free app, and run the ALL Core test, leave CoreTemp running and it will record the highest temp during the test.

Apr 24, 2023
Alright so I am completely stumped. I put in a new cooler, no luck. New thermal paste, no luck. So it's not the power supply, it's not the cooler, it's not the thermal paste. All of the fans work. What else could be causing such a high temp (113c)? :/

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Alright so I am completely stumped. I put in a new cooler, no luck. New thermal paste, no luck. So it's not the power supply, it's not the cooler, it's not the thermal paste. All of the fans work. What else could be causing such a high temp (113c)? :/
Time to think 'outside the box'.

Start with the airflow to the box itself. Ensure it's got room to breathe so to speak.

If that fails, take a look at room temps. Did you do anything to make the room itself warmer? Turn on a space heater? Turn off the AC to save money?

Are you overclocking the computer more or started overclocking recently?

Brainstorm, and think of anything else external that might be making that computer warmer.

Apr 24, 2023
Time to think 'outside the box'.

Start with the airflow to the box itself. Ensure it's got room to breathe so to speak.

If that fails, take a look at room temps. Did you do anything to make the room itself warmer? Turn on a space heater? Turn off the AC to save money?

Are you overclocking the computer more or started overclocking recently?

Brainstorm, and think of anything else external that might be making that computer warmer.
The PC has 7 total fans in it, and all of them are working. Absolutely nothing changed about my environment. I've had the PC for two years and this is the first overheating issue I've had with it. I have never overclocked the PC at all. I keep the PC inside of a cabinet that is open in the front and back, and has room above it to breathe. I initially thought maybe I killed the power supply, but that proved to be false. Thank you for the help.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
The PC has 7 total fans in it, and all of them are working. Absolutely nothing changed about my environment. I've had the PC for two years and this is the first overheating issue I've had with it. I have never overclocked the PC at all. I keep the PC inside of a cabinet that is open in the front and back, and has room above it to breathe. I initially thought maybe I killed the power supply, but that proved to be false. Thank you for the help.
Is the overtemp issue there at all times? Or just when certain programs are executed?

Apr 24, 2023
Is the overtemp issue there at all times? Or just when certain programs are executed?
Basically at all times. If I'm just on the main screen with only core temps open, it's fine. If I open a stream or youtube video or something, it goes into the 80s. Any game more demanding than Minecraft will make it overheat. It was worse before I installed the new AIO. I believe the new AIO is faulty or I've somehow plugged something into a wrong plug. One of the tubes is hot while the other one is cool.

TRENDING THREADS