[SOLVED] PC sounds like a jet engine when i play games in 4K

Jan 13, 2021
hey, as title says when i play games in 4k through a Samsung TV the PC's fans get so loud that its literally all I can hear, it seems to do this with all games I play at 4k, currently been playing Horizon Zero Dawn, Yakuza like a Dragon and Red Dead 2. Looking for someone with PC knowledge to give me some advice on if there is something wrong with the system, I downloaded HWiNFO64 and played Horizon for 10mins at 4K and screen shot the results with the temps, I've also gone into Bios and tried setting fans to 'Quiet' with no luck, then tried 'Optimize Fans' option with same result.

Solution
Fans are designed around a sustained 100%(rpm). They're fine.

Temperatures are acceptable, except for maybe this one: Gpu Hot Spot Temperature hitting 105C?
Granted, Hot Spot is always warmer than the gpu core reading, but this one here feels a little high to me - there's a 31C difference between the 2.

The reason the fans ramp up the way they do is because of what I posted earlier.
There is a temperature threshold coded into the bioses of both the motherboard and gpu. 70-80C. I believe there's some variance between boards.
When cpu and gpu core thermals exceed those values, your fan curves are ignored, and that's why the jet takes off.
It's all behaving normally though.

It's also worth mentioning that one of two the fans on the...

Lutfij

Titan
Your BIOS on the motherboard is 2802, the latest non Beta version is 3603. meaning you should update in this order, >3001>3405>3602>3603. Following that, you should check and see if you have any OS updates pending, ideally you should be on version21H1. As for the sound, what cooler are you working with on your platform? Make and model of your PSU? Make and model of your chassis and the airflow in the chassis?

Reactions: cornfolis
Jan 13, 2021
Your BIOS on the motherboard is 2802, the latest non Beta version is 3603. meaning you should update in this order, >3001>3405>3602>3603. Following that, you should check and see if you have any OS updates pending, ideally you should be on version21H1. As for the sound, what cooler are you working with on your platform? Make and model of your PSU? Make and model of your chassis and the airflow in the chassis?

Thanks, I followed your advice and updated the BIOS in that order and also updated Windows to 21H1 and checked graphics card driver was up-to date too.
The cooler is AURAFLOW X 240 AIO and the PSU is Corsair 850W RM850X and case 'be quiet! Pure Base 500 Window - Black', here is a link to the exact PC i purchased
- https://www.ebuyer.com/1125341-alphasync-rtx-3080-ryzen-7-3800x-16gb-ram-2tb-hdd-500gb-ssd-as-d5352

It's also worth mentioning that one of two the fans on the AIO pump has never spun, I think it was never connected due to not having a spare socket to plug it into. (but not sure)

Are the temps and everything acceptable? My main worry is that if I play a game for too long while the fans are going like a jet engine it could cause damage to the PC.

edit: I should also note that I do regularly clean the dust out with compressed air

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Temperatures are acceptable, except for maybe this one: Gpu Hot Spot Temperature hitting 105C?
Granted, Hot Spot is always warmer than the gpu core reading, but this one here feels a little high to me - there's a 31C difference between the 2.

The reason the fans ramp up the way they do is because of what I posted earlier.
There is a temperature threshold coded into the bioses of both the motherboard and gpu. 70-80C. I believe there's some variance between boards.
When cpu and gpu core thermals exceed those values, your fan curves are ignored, and that's why the jet takes off.

It's also worth mentioning that one of two the fans on the AIO pump has never spun, I think it was never connected due to not having a spare socket to plug it into. (but not sure)
These coolers usually come with a splitter, or some means to connect the fans to the same header.
If the fan actually is connected, it may just be dead.

Solution
Jan 13, 2021

These coolers usually come with a splitter, or some means to connect the fans to the same header.
If the fan actually is connected, it may just be dead.

Thanks that's a relief. As for the AIO pump fans the one which doesn't spin originally use to flicker and beep every like 4-5sec, but managed to stop it from doing that in BIOS by switching chassis fan #3 from PWM to DC and manually turning it off, I'm still confused if it's a faulty fan or maybe it hasn't got a splitter, very difficult to see the connection on the motherboard with its layout.

Jan 13, 2021
You'll have to replace the failing fan.

BTW - what pc case are you using? Can you show any photos of your system?

The PC case is 'be quiet! Pure Base 500 Window - Black' , I can't physically see the part of the motherboard behind the fans, or get a clear photo, i might have to take the fans off to see behind. Is the fan purely an extra chassis fan or is it involved with the pump in some way and needs to be fixed asap?

IMG20210606155516.jpg

IMG20210606155535.jpg

So - you have 3 exhaust fans (2 of them working) and only a single frontal intake fan?
Is it spinning at least? Can't see from that photo.

Your system is overheating because there's not enough air going in.
Add 2 more frontal intake fans.

Edit. For time being you can move rear exhaust fan to frontal intake position and see, if that improves temperatures.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021
So - you have 3 exhaust fans (2 of them working) and only a single frontal intake fan?
Is it spinning at least? Can't see from that photo.

Your system is overheating because there's not enough air going in.
Add 2 more frontal intake fans.

Edit. For time being you can move rear exhaust fan to frontal intake position and see, if that improves temperatures.

There's the 3 fans that you can see in the image including the one that wont spin, and there is another at the front on the chassis.

I thought the temps were within acceptable ranges with the only concern being 'GPU hotspot temp' hitting 105c at its peak.

Jan 13, 2021
I took your advice and opened the PC and followed the 3 and 4 wire cables to see if it was plugged in, it seems like the 2 fans were both using the same cable which was plugged in and I couldn't see anything odd, so I lost hope and sealed it back up. Now mysteriously the 'dead' fan is now working completely fine for the first time ever, I wish I could say what the hell changed for anyone with the same problem, perhaps its semi-faulty and something just got knocked into place, I really have no idea.

Thanks everyone for helping me fix this, now that all the fans work I'm gonna play something taxing in 4k for a few hours and post the peak and average CPU/GPU temps tomorrow and hopefully get that final verification that it IS safe.

Thanks everyone for helping me fix this, now that all the fans work I'm gonna play something taxing in 4k for a few hours and post the peak and average CPU/GPU temps tomorrow and hopefully get that final verification that it IS safe.
I'd still recommend you adding additional frontal intake fans
(or at least moving rear exhaust fan to front intake position).

Currently you have 1 intake fan and 3 exhaust fans. Not enough fresh air is going in.
Also your case is going accumulate dust quickly.

Jan 13, 2021
I'd still recommend you adding additional frontal intake fans
(or at least moving rear exhaust fan to front intake position).

Currently you have 1 intake fan and 3 exhaust fans. Not enough fresh air is going in.
Also your case is going accumulate dust quickly.

The only issue is that its a prebuilt PC I bought earlier in the year. I'm not sure I can do anything like that without voiding the warranty on it. I think you're right though, the PC case is not particularly good for ventilation especially at the front. (too much solid plastic, very few holes for ventilation)