Question PC spontaneously powers off and then back on

maruf01

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2015
I was playing a longer than usual session of Assetto Corsa. It was a hot day. Suddenly my PC powers off. I try to turn it on a few times with no results. I switch off the wall outlet and try again. Nothing again. Then I notice the LAN light was blinking. But I couldn't turn on the PC. I removed the power cable and back on. Still nothing. I backed off and started tho think what to do next when suddenly, the PC turns on by itself! Is this a one off or should I be worried?

maruf01

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2015
It's a Cooler Master Thunder 600W. It's a non certified cheapo PSU. Served me well so far.
If anything has to go, I hope its not the mobo or cpu. PCs been working fine since the incident tho. Even played more Assetto Corsa. No issues whatsoever.

May 29, 2019
I agree with BringerOfTea on it possibly being the PSU; failure of other components usually won't lead to a hard reboot. I had a similar issue a few months ago, where my PC (under load) would force restart. If this was a one time occurrence, I wouldn't worry about it.

However, if the problem persists, I would recommend trying to either find a PSU that you could borrow (simply to test it), or buying one outright. Even if the power supply isn't you problem, having an extra PSU around can be a great troubleshooting tool.