[SOLVED] PC started to bug out after being upgraded

Jan 11, 2021
Hi,

I have recently upgraded my CPU, PSU and Motherboard to a i9 9900k, Aorus z390 Pro and tx750 - previously had an i5 6600k. I didn't re-install windows as it's booted itself without needing any updated. However, a few days in my pc is having a few issues here and there - most notably Adobe Effects and Premiere Pro constantly keep crashing on me, and if they don't then the ram playback preview becomes unbearable meaning it's almost impossible to do any work. The PC feels much faster but there are other minor "bugs" as well with my toolbar occasionally freezing and being unusable and other little similar things.

I first guessed that potentially maybe after the upgrade I didn't have enough fans and that my PC was getting too hot however I have checked and my GPU and CPU temps are not what you'd consider too high. I will still install extra fans over this weekend to improve airflow but I don't believe it to be the cause of the issue.

I am thinking that maybe Windows may need a clean re-install due to the switch of the motherboard? I am not a hardware expert but through my research, I figured I wouldn't need to reinstall Windows but it is what makes the most sense that the root of these issues is Windows.

I have downloaded the necessary drivers for my motherboard. All other drivers are up to date from what I can tell.

If I do end up re-installing windows can I simply unplug my other 2 drives (M.2 SSD and a HDD) and just leave the SSD that has Windows on it connected then plug the other two drives back in when this is complete with them being unaffected? I know I will need to re-install any software such as my Adobe programs that are on the C: SSD but I assume the other two drives should be fine?

If anyone has any other potential solutions please let me know, I'd appreciate it massively.

Hardware list
I9 9900k
Z390 Aorus PRO
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super
2x16GB RAM - Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz DDR4
Samsung SSD 850 Evo 250GB - C: - Has OS - 32GB Available
2TB 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive - 350GB Available
Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB - 858GB Available
Corsair TX750M PSU Gold Hybrid Modular (750w)

OS is Windows 10 Home

CPU,Motherboard, PSU and 970 Evo installed last weekend. 2060 Super and RAM is 6 months old. Everything else 4 years old but everything was brought brand new

The Samsung 970 is the fresh SSD which I was planning to move the OS onto from the original 850 Evo SSD

Last edited:
Solution
Late thought: did you try reinstalling Adobe etc.?

Resource Monitor and Task Manager:

Look for what all is running, what resources are being used, to what extent ( % ). Check the Startup tab for any apps or utilities being launched.

Especially any you do not recognize or otherwise cannot identify.

Even if appearing "unused" there still could be things going on that involve the hard drive.

Could be that the failed security update is involved either directly or indirectly.

Clean install:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

Yes - the other drives should be disconnected.

Still, as always, back up all data and ensure that the backups are both recoverable and readable.

Ralston18

Titan
You have options.

However, my suggestion is that you try to discover what the problem is.

Start by updating your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Have you tried running the built-in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

There is also "sfc /scannow" and "dism" for fixing corrupted files.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

And look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Windows may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to the freezing and other problems.

Also worthwhile to power down, unplug, and open the case.

Doublecheck by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

Jan 11, 2021
You have options.

However, my suggestion is that you try to discover what the problem is.

Start by updating your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Have you tried running the built-in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

There is also "sfc /scannow" and "dism" for fixing corrupted files.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

And look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Windows may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to the freezing and other problems.

Also worthwhile to power down, unplug, and open the case.

Doublecheck by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

Thank you for answering - I have updated the specs as you mentioned.

The sfc command resulted in it saying that it fixed a few files whilst dism came out with no change - this however hasn't changed how my PC is running

Window troubleshooters could not find anything either

Reliability History and Event viewer reveal 3 things that may mean something

1. Kernel-Power Event ID:41 Task Category:63 (I believe this is me forcing the pc to shut down - it appears dozens of times)
  2. DriverFrameworks-UserMode 10111 and a separate one with 10110 Task Category: User-mode Driver problems (Not 100% what this means)
  3. Yesterday 2 instances noted as hardware failure with the problem signature being
"
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffe30adf636460
Parameter 2: fffff8027941372c
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 1d50
OS version: 10_0_19042
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057
"

These 2 instances only happened yesterday and on no other day which is strange. I believe this was caused by the screw holding the GPU as that was slightly lose after I took everything apart and back together but tightening the screw has got rid of the Hardware Failure message but the PC is still the same

The only thing I have noticed which is most likely completely irrelevant is windows cannot update a security update, stays stuck on 0% - "Security Update for SQL Server 2017 RTM GDR (KB4583456)"

Premiere Pro and After Effects still constantly "not responding" but also now every time I open just file explorer then ends up not responding for a good 10 seconds as well. Half of the things I open end up as "not responding" and either crash or go back to normal after a while of being frozen

I am starting to think this may be a hardware issue of some sort

I have made sure everything is plugged in properly - I took everything apart and put it back together to no success

I am attempting to run "chkdsk c: /f /r /x " but keep getting the message that the volume is in use by another process so it wont run - I have nothing running but I imagine it's all the background applications preventing this - I have tried closing everything but still can't get it to run

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Four year old PSU: may be nearing its' designed EOL(End of Life) and starting to falter especially at times of high power demand. Especially with the new hardware that is now installed.

PSU problems are often preceded by increasing numbers of problems/errors and may vary more and more over time.

Total up the current system components power demands. You can do so manually based on component specs and also use online calculators:

Reference:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Do at least two or three wattage totals to get a consensus. If a component has a wattage range then use the high end wattage.

=========

Also wondering about that 2 TB HDD that is getting full ( 83.5%) if I understand correctly.

Reference: "2TB 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive - 350GB Available "

Observe system performance using Resource Monitor and Task Manager. (Use both but only one at a time.)

Watch the 2 TB HDD.

Link being that there could be more disk activity (File explorer) taking place with regards to the 2 TB HDD and its need for power.

Key is to narrow down to a verifiable problem.

Jan 11, 2021
Four year old PSU: may be nearing its' designed EOL(End of Life) and starting to falter especially at times of high power demand. Especially with the new hardware that is now installed.

PSU problems are often preceded by increasing numbers of problems/errors and may vary more and more over time.

Total up the current system components power demands. You can do so manually based on component specs and also use online calculators:

Reference:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Do at least two or three wattage totals to get a consensus. If a component has a wattage range then use the high end wattage.

=========

Also wondering about that 2 TB HDD that is getting full ( 83.5%) if I understand correctly.

Reference: "2TB 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive - 350GB Available "

Observe system performance using Resource Monitor and Task Manager. (Use both but only one at a time.)

Watch the 2 TB HDD.

Link being that there could be more disk activity (File explorer) taking place with regards to the 2 TB HDD and its need for power.

Key is to narrow down to a verifiable problem.

The PSU was replaced over the weekend so it is brand new
The 2TB HDD doesn't have any software or files that are most notable as being an issue currently, with all Adobe folders and work files being on the C: and the new E: (970 Evo SSD) and thr 2TB HDD mainly holds old files that I don't access anymore (old client work storage mainly) which makes me think it's unlikely to be causing this as it's the other two drives that are used.

What should I be looking out for when observing system performance using Resource Monitor/Task Manager? As from what I can tell the numbers are as should be. However, Task manager is Not Responding constantly

As it has started happening since the hardware updates I am lead to believe there is a correlation to this. I will perform a clean boot to see if I can find something out through that after which I will do a fresh install of Windows to see if this helps.

This may be a stupid question but with a fresh Windows install, will only the C: be affected? meaning I can unplug my other two drives while I perform the install and plug back in once complete so they are not affected. I know the C: will basically be wiped so I will save the data from this drive

Ralston18

Titan

Look for what all is running, what resources are being used, to what extent ( % ). Check the Startup tab for any apps or utilities being launched.

Even if appearing "unused" there still could be things going on that involve the hard drive.

Could be that the failed security update is involved either directly or indirectly.

Clean install:

Still, as always, back up all data and ensure that the backups are both recoverable and readable.

Solution
I first guessed that potentially maybe after the upgrade I didn't have enough fans and that my PC was getting too hot however I have checked and my GPU and CPU temps are not what you'd consider too high. I will still install extra fans over this weekend to improve airflow but I don't believe it to be the cause of the issue.
What sort of CPU cooler are you using? A 9900K is a bit like combining two 6th-gen i7s and overclocking them, so the heat output under load will be far higher. Something like the stock cooler from an i5-6600K would undoubtedly be inadequate for a 9900K.

And how are you checking temperatures? The temperatures when sitting idle on the Windows desktop won't mean much, nor will those under a single-core load. Software like After Effects and Premiere Pro may be utilizing all 8-cores and 16-threads of your CPU simultaneously at times, putting it under a much higher level of load, and in turn causing it to put out a lot more heat that could raise CPU temperatures significantly.

Jan 11, 2021

Clean install:

Thank you for your advice.

I did everything possible and resorted to re-installing Windows. It has completely fixed everything so I assume there was an issue with Windows handling the installation of new hardware.

All fixed luckily!