Question Pc starts but doesn't have signal on monitor

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
So, here is something weird. I was playing civ 6 and i started noticing some major slow downs, but didn't worry because i thought that maybe wine has a hard time with all the things that it has to render. I also had sims 4 starting up that i completely forgot about, so when i closed that and it kinda made the situation better ( i think), i didnt think much about what's going on. I shut down civ 6 and opened firefox, which lagged very much, then closed and tried reopening it, but it couldn't even start. I though it was an issue with kwin/xorg/ whatever linux related, so i tried restarting my computer. Everything started normally, all the fans worked, but there was no signal on the screen. I tried it again a couple of times, same results. I removed my ups and it finally post signal on the screen. I entered the bios and everything seemed like normal. I tried to boot normally, but debian would get stauck at booting. I tried recovery mode and it worked. The resolution got back to the original (1366*768), but everything else worked normal. I changed the resolution and so far, from browsing looking for anything that could have caused it, everything seems to work like it always did. I am still from recovery mode and with my ups unplugged.
(i am posting this on gpus, because i have a suspision that it could be a gpu issue. but idk)
Any ideas what is going on?

(edit: i now believe it is the ups fault. My monitor and my pc work fine without it. When i plugged them in they start, but it doesnt post signal. Most impkrtantly the input/output of the ups is 236/238 instead of the normal 233.)

Last edited:

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
rtx 2060
ryzen 5 2600x
2*8 gb ram @2800 (they run at 2133 because of incompatabillity with my mobo)
corsair vs650 psu
gigabyte b450m ds3h
2tb hdd
256 gb ssd
greencell 10000va ups (700w) pure sinewave

I edited it now, but i meant ups and not psu on my original post