Question PC Starts normally 5% of the time and slow 95% of the time (with hanging) when booted up

May 17, 2021
Specifications:

CPU - AMD FX 4100 ,3600 ghz
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2TP, AM3+ SOCKET,(second hand)
RAM - GSkill 4 gb ddr3 1600 mhz and HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3 1866MHz
System - Windows 8.1 64-bit OS, x-64 based processor
Hard Drive - WD Green 1 TB (WDC WD 10EARX-00N0YB0 1000.2 GB)
GPU - Geforce GTX 960
PSU - Seasonic 600 Watts, 80+ Bronze

In Short :- My PC RARELY runs normally without any slow (after so many times of rebooting)

In Detail :-

When I brought the motherboard second hand (this is my 3rd motherboard) initially it ran fine. But after few days I thought to keep the PC under sleep or not shut down after playing Witcher 3. Then power cut occured after that moment when I booted the PC BOOM it's so slow all of a sudden I have never seen something like this before! even the keyboard caps lock light is lit after 7-8 seconds of pressing the caps lock button (same with mouse or any other thing). Mostly the slowing down starts after in windows loading screen the loading cursor rotates 5-6 times. PFA for video.

Now whenever it runs after like 100s of times of rebooting it (expecting it would come up with the log in screen i.e run normally without slow), sometimes it would run normally (5% of the times of rebooting) then I am always afraid of not shutting it down or keep it under sleep mode, cause once it's under sleep or shut down then it will slow again!! so I play all games and enjoy as much cause I know it's gonna get slowed down again (after a shutdown or auto sleep etc).

This slowing down is going on since nearly one year. I have done nothing about it I didn't call any local experts because it runs normally 5% of the time. During slow boot, I could barely reach log-in the screen.

I have tried so many methods to troubleshoot like sfc scannow , dsim etc and few messing with the settings like device manager, control power power options etc, I have also contacted the microsoft support the person told me it could be a harddrive problem. None of them worked. I am only lucky if the PC runs normally all of a sudden after trying to reboot it for 30-40 times i.e once in 30-40 reboots rest of the reboot goes like all slow just in the attached video. Any solutions? Please help me.

VIDEO :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZhpndbZcrc

Last edited:
May 17, 2021
Going by the symptoms i'd say that your boot drive has issues, can you try the following:

open your pc remove/disconnect your main boot drive (ssd/hdd)

use another ssd/hdd - install win 10 on the drive

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

make sure it is the only drive attached to your system and boot your system with it

Let us know if it helps and we'll go from there
Hi, thanks for your reply. I am defragging it after someone's recommendation. If that fails will try yours.

May 17, 2021
Going by the symptoms i'd say that your boot drive has issues, can you try the following:

open your pc remove/disconnect your main boot drive (ssd/hdd)

use another ssd/hdd - install win 10 on the drive

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

make sure it is the only drive attached to your system and boot your system with it

Let us know if it helps and we'll go from there

I have an external HDD. Is it possible to install Windows there and plug in to my PC using USB and run without any internal HDD?

May 17, 2021
i'd plug it internally
Is there any chances my RAM is failed because its 1600+ mhz and my motherboard supports 1333+ mhz? When it runs normally without any slow , there I can notice RAM is shown in system properties and I think no problem with RAM. Are you sure my HDD is the problem here? I'm afraid if this continues even after I buy a new SSD

Is there any chances my RAM is failed because its 1600+ mhz and my motherboard supports 1333+ mhz? When it runs normally without any slow , there I can notice RAM is shown in system properties and I think no problem with RAM. Are you sure my HDD is the problem here? I'm afraid if this continues even after I buy a new SSD
no i am not sure, that's why i would test it first before buying
also your mobo should support ramspeeds up to 1600mhz

Reactions: Biks141

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Do a fresh reinstallation of Windows. If that fails, try a different hard drive. If that fails, try poking around in the BIOS (carefully). Aside from that, I can't think of much else that would be hindering it at that point.

May 17, 2021
no i am not sure, that's why i would test it first before buying
also your mobo should support ramspeeds up to 1600mhz
Hey, I just for now I mean now my PC is running without any slow of course after numerous restarts. Do you want me to check anything or any command to check what's wrong with my PC and let me tell you I saw nearly 99% disc usage on the performance tab on task manager. Also I ran chkdisk a long time ago when it booted without any slow and found some errors.

Hey, I just for now I mean now my PC is running without any slow of course after numerous restarts. Do you want me to check anything or any command to check what's wrong with my PC and let me tell you I saw nearly 99% disc usage on the performance tab on task manager. Also I ran chkdisk a long time ago when it booted without any slow and found some errors.
So he pc works as it should?

if you have used an HDD to test that explains the 100 pct usage, win 10 is really bottlenecked by the hdd and is squeezing it for every drop it has

buy yourself a new ssd, and do a fresh win install, that should do it ;)

May 17, 2021
So he pc works as it should?

if you have used an HDD to test that explains the 100 pct usage, win 10 is really bottlenecked by the hdd and is squeezing it for every drop it has

buy yourself a new ssd, and do a fresh win install, that should do it ;)
It's Win 8.1 btw. Now back again to slow loading... I'll just reboot it every time I see my pc these days. Yup new ssd looks like the answer but I'm kinda hopeful that I could run it booting from a pendrive! only after I update all the drivers. If that fails, test it and I'll take action accordingly