[SOLVED] PC stopped displaying output on start up (blue screen of death)

Feb 26, 2021
Hi everyone, my first post on here!
So about a month ago I've upgraded to a GTX 3080 and a new PSU. Last night I was using the PC as per usual, put it into hybernation before bed, and this morning I was greeted by the BSoD. It collected some information, went to 100% and restarted. Since then, there has been no visual output.

Here's my components link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xgJLnL

I've tried resisting RAM sticks, resetting bios and connecting the HDMI to the motherboard, but it made no difference.
The fans are spinning, the lights are glowing. The HDMI 2.1 is new - and I've attempted resetting that at both ends also.

Any help woukd be greatly apretiated!

Solution
So I followed your instructions and it turned out that the PC seems to work just fibe with another GPU.
Does that definitively mean that the problem is with the card? Could it be the PSU?
there's always a chance that your PSU just can't provide enough power for the new card.
compare the specs between the two GPUs and see what the power draw difference is.

i imagine you had already tried reseating the PCIe power cables when the 3080 was installed?
hopefully it wasn't just a loose connection there...
since the issue started with a Windows BSoD crash, my first guess would be that the OS is corrupt.

also considering that you tried most of the simpler troubleshooting already, i would just load up a USB install package and try reinstalling Windows.

if the USB flash drive cannot be read \ there's still no display;
then i would continue with more in depth hardware troubleshooting.

Feb 26, 2021
since the issue started with a Windows BSoD crash, my first guess would be that the OS is corrupt.

also considering that you tried most of the simpler troubleshooting already, i would just load up a USB install package and try reinstalling Windows.

if the USB flash drive cannot be read \ there's still no display;
then i would continue with more in depth hardware troubleshooting.
Okay, so things are getting stranger. I came home late last night, tried turning on the PC, same result as before.
Then, I disconnected the m.2 storage, reset bios by taking out the battery from moba again, inserted a usb containing windows installation and... Voila!
Visual signal was established, moba warned me about bios being reset. I tried pushing my luck by turning it off, inserting the m.2 (which serves as my windows drive), and starting it up again - and it worked, windows loaded up without a problem. I used it for like 4 hours without a problem, put it into sleep before going to sleep myself.

Now it's morning time and the PC is back to no visual output.
Naturally, I tried the same steps that brought it to life last night - to no avail.
So now I'm more at a loss than ever. What gives?

Feb 26, 2021
could just be a malfunctioning M.2 drive or port causing issue(s).
this could also have lead to the initial BSoD if data on the drive was corrupted by it's malfunctioning.

try a SATA drive and see if issue persists.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'try a sata drive'? Because the PC continues to not function, even with the m.2 taken completely out.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'try a sata drive'
try using a drive connected via SATA port and installing Windows there.
you have already stated that the system has worked at random times.
my comment was regarding IF you can get it posting again, to continue with another type of drive interface.

your easiest option for troubleshooting the entire system is using a functioning similar system to test each of your vital components in separately.

but you can start on your current setup by removing everything but components necessary to boot;
a single RAM stick. if no good, try each stick in each available DIMM slot separately.
if you have iGPU, remove the dedicated card. if not, a different dedicated GPU.
try both your current & your previous PSU.
only fans cooling your CPU, disconnect chassis fans.
disconnect all drives & peripherals except keyboard.
reset CMOS again and cross your fingers.
before each attempted boot, disconnect the rear power cable for at least 30 seconds.

if any of these combinations gets you into the BIOS, update to the latest one available.
so you'll want to have it ready on a flash drive while you have access.

Feb 26, 2021
try using a drive connected via SATA port and installing Windows there.
you have already stated that the system has worked at random times.
my comment was regarding IF you can get it posting again, to continue with another type of drive interface.

your easiest option for troubleshooting the entire system is using a functioning similar system to test each of your vital components in separately.

but you can start on your current setup by removing everything but components necessary to boot;
a single RAM stick. if no good, try each stick in each available DIMM slot separately.
if you have iGPU, remove the dedicated card. if not, a different dedicated GPU.
try both your current & your previous PSU.
only fans cooling your CPU, disconnect chassis fans.
disconnect all drives & peripherals except keyboard.
reset CMOS again and cross your fingers.
before each attempted boot, disconnect the rear power cable for at least 30 seconds.

if any of these combinations gets you into the BIOS, update to the latest one available.
so you'll want to have it ready on a flash drive while you have access.
So I followed your instructions and it turned out that the PC seems to work just fibe with another GPU.
Does that definitively mean that the problem is with the card? Could it be the PSU?

there's always a chance that your PSU just can't provide enough power for the new card.
compare the specs between the two GPUs and see what the power draw difference is.

i imagine you had already tried reseating the PCIe power cables when the 3080 was installed?
hopefully it wasn't just a loose connection there...

Solution