[SOLVED] PC stops outputting video after boot

ojakokko

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
I just got a new monitor and plugged it in via DP, and my computer (which until then had worked properly) now stops outputting video after booting. The mobo splash screen and BIOS show properly, but the image always disappears when the splash screen goes. I tried plugging in the old monitor via DVI and unplugging the new one, but the problem stays. What could be causing this?

Solution
So it works after updating the dirvers (which I was able to do thanks to IGFX), so I suppose it was just a driver issue. I would've updated them the first thing, but was unable to do it before because I had no video. Sorry for unnecessary post.

ojakokko

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
A power supply shortage. Your psu is bad or are exceeding the wattage.

The computer stays on, it just won't output video. I've also used the build for the past four years now with no issues. I doubt it's the PSU, but I'll try disconnecting the GPU.

Edit: Okay with the GPU disconnected and coming off of the mobo HDMI port it boots to windows, so maybe it's the PSU after all. Maybe it's just starting to fail, because as I said it worked fine before.

Edit2: Actually even with the GPU connected everything works fine using IGFX. I have DP connnected to the GPU and HDMI to the mobo/IGFX port and it's working fine in windows but only through the IGFX port. Even though the GPU is running it isn't outputting anything.

Last edited:

ojakokko

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
So it works after updating the dirvers (which I was able to do thanks to IGFX), so I suppose it was just a driver issue. I would've updated them the first thing, but was unable to do it before because I had no video. Sorry for unnecessary post.

Reactions: JALD
Solution