[SOLVED] PC STUCK AT 100MBPS!!!!!!!!

Oct 19, 2020
I know its probably been posted a lot but my pc is stuck at 100mbps download on and only reaching about 80mbps on a test ive tried different cables different test websites i bought new TPlink ethernet adapter plugs i even bought a new NIC ethernet port thing for my pc ive updated the drivers on everything i tried messing about with the configure settings on the ethernet settings i watched youtube videos and read a few forums but i still have no fix does anyone know!!!

Solution
Hi,

Side note, when connecting the cable to run a speed test, ensure every other device is disconnected from the router/network including wireless devices to ensure the speed test is fair, It only takes a device to be updating/streaming to notice a difference in download speed. Also ensure you are using a CAT 5e cable and not just a CAT 5 cable otherwise you'll never get over 100mbps.

Hope this helps! :)
Oct 19, 2020
im paying for 350mbps and using the virgin hub3.0 im getting 380+ sometimes even 400 on my phones 5ghz wifi band but the pc is locked somehow i tried a friends gigabit ethernet adapter plugs and we managed to get 150mbps and it even said 1.0gb in the network settings when using the plugs turned out they were a set of old plugs and only ran at 150mbps so i thought a new set of plugs would do the trick but nothing changed and were back to 100mbps on settings

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Will, I agree with Samir - for testing purposes you're going to need to connect your PC directly to the Virgin router with one short length of Ethernet cable. That'll rule out a problem with your homeplugs or the electrical wiring in your home.

RyanTodd1

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
Hi,

Side note, when connecting the cable to run a speed test, ensure every other device is disconnected from the router/network including wireless devices to ensure the speed test is fair, It only takes a device to be updating/streaming to notice a difference in download speed. Also ensure you are using a CAT 5e cable and not just a CAT 5 cable otherwise you'll never get over 100mbps.

Hope this helps! :)

Solution
Will, I agree with Samir - for testing purposes you're going to need to connect your PC directly to the Virgin router with one short length of Ethernet cable. That'll rule out a problem with your homeplugs or the electrical wiring in your home.
Doesn't even have to be short really, just wired and within ethernet spec which is over 300ft. I don't think I've even seen a cable that long, lol.